Home Metal Detecting

Poll..what's your favorite owned detector?

Want to get a idea of what's the folks are using these days for my upcoming upgrade..my Tesoro Bandito ll from 1999 seems outdated

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several good brands of MD on the market... For me, however, based on technology, quality and (very important) customer service, I select White's MD's....I am a staunch supporter of White's. Cheers, RickO

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

I would recommend a White's DFX 300 (aka: a powder-coated 'Spectrum E-Series') to anyone. The programmability, precision, and additional specialty coils available, to me makes this an unbelievable value, as they are not "new", and can be purchased used at a very reasonable cost. My only knock/wish, is that the control box & screen are not water resistant, so they are strictly a fair weather detector. (There are of course rain covers available, but is too risky to me).

Pictured is my original Spectrum E-Series that I sold to upgrade to the powder-coated 300 model, which is exactly the same, just powder-coated paint for more durability.

photo DSC01173 Medium_zpswsomhbkg.jpg

photo DSC01187_zpswf7mbycb.jpg

Best of luck!

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Whites as well, but had to put it up as it became too heavy for me to swing for any amount of time. Bought a Tesoro Lobo with no display. I search the desert and dig all signals so a display just means more weight. Bought over 2 years ago and had it out once only. Finally had shoulder surgery and after that healed I gave it a try. Liked it very much. Then knee when out and haven't been out since. Now have a date for a knee replacement in April so perhaps I'll be out swinging again come fall...........ugh.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use whites as well. garret is not to far behind but only as a back up

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I built my first from a Radio shack kit. Remember those?
    My Whites Gold master finds everything.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Garret AT Pro. Love it! Wish I had more time to use it and a better location to swing. I live North of Detroit and the pickin is nothing like some of the locations you guy's have.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Minelab Equinox 600, but haven't really had the opportunity to use it much yet. In the past I have used Garrett, Fisher, Teknetics, and Tesoro. Hopefully I can give it a workout this Spring!

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 2:10PM

my old Garrett 500 GTA

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the old days I used a Whites XLT. Great ground penetration but not waterproof. Lasted for 25 years until I backed my pickup over it. Don't ask.
    Now Garrett At pro which is much better and half the cost. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52