Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canadian $10 gold release

A recent posting on the Buy Sell Trade chat room offering two PCGS graded Canadian $10 gold coins in MS 64 got me thinking about the impact of the relatively recent release of Canadian gold on the market for these coins. My (admittedly uneducated) sense before this release was that the 1912 $10 was the most common, followed by the 1913 and then the 1914. But the PCGS Pop report has it exactly the opposite. Does anyone know how many of each of these coins were released? Has the 1914 become essentially a bullion coin? How about the 1913? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've wondered this myself. I got a 1914 $10 in MS63 a while back and love the example... I think they are a steal at the current prices!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a general way, this topic has been covered on the World Forum or the U.S. forum in the recent past.

The Canadian government was holding approximately 1/3rd the entire original mintages of the Gold $5 and Gold $10.

Far far more coins were melted than were saved. Those saved were supposedly the best examples extant.

These coins were about 100 years old at the time of their destruction.

I cannot make a suggestion on how the occurrence of the coins, by date, in the marketplace was affected.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:26PM

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I t looks like you are basing your opinion on the PCGS POP report.
    please note there are other graders. IMO, the 1914 $10 is still THE coin to have.
    It beats me WHY a coin suddenly should be something special simply because it was stashed in some storage room at some Bank. And, remember, there was apparently one certain well known Canadian coin dealer who had access to the stash before anyone else and who was charged by the RCM to evaluate by grade (In his opinion) and probably sort the stash. would be interesting to know what entity, the RCM or someone else, sent these coins to the TPG's.
    If it was anyone else, then "hanky-panky" was probably within an eventuality. Rumor has it that it is the same dealer who apparently had numerous other "Canadian oddities " years ago before anyone else knew bout it. as I said, it is a rumor
    The following hype apparently made these coins much more valuable ????? Well, a MS 65 is still a MS 65 IMO. Stash reference or not. I believe there is NO data that would explain how many were graded by whom and at what grade at the time. I do believe that several graders had some. But am not sure.
    I venture to say that if ANY TPG will grade one of these NOW and note it as from the bank stash or whatever, this TPG might be stretching the truth and could not proof it.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've followed this release closely and have all the data in an article on my website-
    http://www.tbnumismatics.com/thats-a-wrap-canadian-gold-reserve-coinage-melted.html

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I've wondered this myself. I got a 1914 $10 in MS63 a while back and love the example... I think they are a steal at the current prices!

I wish I could afford a few of them. anyway I agree with the statement here :)

@johnny9434 said:

@asheland said:

I wish I could afford a few of them. anyway I agree with the statement here :)

Admittedly I got a deal on mine, but even the going rate is a steal. You should get at least one example...

• gscoinsgscoins Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Thanks to Tom Bush for posting his blog article on this subject. It certainly covers the subject of the release of the Canadian horde nicely! Now, I have to see if I can get one of the $10 coins...

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

LAL means like a lot. handsome coin.> @asheland said:

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Free Shipping!!!

From The Hoard, 1914 Canada Gold $5.00 Ex Bank Of Canada, ICCS MS-64

From The Hoard, 1914 Canada Gold $5.00 Ex Bank Of Canada, ICCS MS-64

$602,111.46

Buy It Now

or Best Offer

Free Shipping

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

When these first came public the company I work for had thousands of these in PCGS holders. I have one of the original Canadian mint bags that held these hoard coins. I'll post images of it tomorrow if I remember it.

• Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 7:18AM

Back in the early 1980's MTB had a decent sized group of 5 and 10's from vaults of the Canadian Bank of Imperial Commerce, including 500-1000 1914 dated coins if I remember correctly. We had a different idea of how to sell them-one or two at a time for 15 years: did not not drop the market, certainly not to melt+.
    Seems an awful waste to me to melt 10's of thousands of these while continuing to churn out NCLT crap.
    On the other hand we sold 25-30 thousand au-bu Cuban 1915-1916 10 pesos for gold +1% when they were worth <$200 each. There was literally no one in the business who wanted them, they went to a foreign bullion buyer who could import coins w/o tax and were probably melted.

@Jinx86 said:
    When these first came public the company I work for had thousands of these in PCGS holders. I have one of the original Canadian mint bags that held these hoard coins. I'll post images of it tomorrow if I remember it.

I'd love to see that!

Just looked at some coins under a loupe after handling the bag. I have super fine gold shavings on my hand now.

@Jinx86 said:

That's super cool!

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some from before the Hoard was "found". Maybe they should get a special designation like : "first known" or something like that. all the hype about thes "just found" gold coins was only, and ONLY about making $$$$$$$$$$

Today is the first day of the rest of my life