Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Nolan Ryan Topps master set

I've been working on the Topps master set for Nolan Ryan awhile now. The progress has been slow but steady. Am currently #7 with 66% done (133 out of 202 items) 81% PSA10, 17.5% PSA9, and 1.5% PSA8 (low pop 10's and 9's taken).

Out of the remaining 69 items left, I'd say at least 20 never see the light of day. Or if they do list, you may see one every 5+ years. A daunting set to tackle in high end. The combo of volume with Nolan's playing career and how expensive it's been is brutal.

** The big buys I still have to go are 68 RC PSA9, 68RC Milton Bradley PSA8 or better, 68RC Venz highest possible, 72 PSA10, 74 PSA10, 74 Deckle Edge White Back PSA8, and 76 PSA10. But, just added the nicest 71/9 I've ever seen this month :

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Ryan was my fav player for a long time.
    I collect his cards but graded only to 1980.
    The $ is beyond me for the hi grades in 9 and 10.
    That 71 is just spectacular. Please post when you get the others

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Ryan was my fav player for a long time.
    I collect his cards but graded only to 1980.
    The $ is beyond me for the hi grades in 9 and 10.
    That 71 is just spectacular. Please post when you get the others

That is why it is insane to me when people go for the general master of 2300+ cards or even worse the super set. LOL

The Topps master seemed like the one somewhat doable at 202. But there are at least 20-30 that will take a VERY long time to get. I came into the registry game much later than Michael Williams, Donato, Jerry Friday, Don Spence, etc.. I was talking with one guy who said he got his PSA9 RC for $4K all those years ago. Now a high end PSA9 runs $20-25K. A lot more difficult to do in today's market!

I will add that this is one I am AMAZED I made happen. Currently paying it down and will have in hand this summer. PSA9 pop 1 that will never be beaten. It feels good that I beat Mike on at least one rare pop 1. LOL

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I do not collect Ryan specifically but have most of his Topps cards in my sets. Here are a couple of tough ones....

1985 Minis, regular and blank back

MIlton Bradley versus regular 68
    \

Odd Ball

print oddity

Some tough ones

Another Blackless

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

Dude sweet shares!

Thankfully I own the 85 mini in PSA9, the 74 Deckle in PSA9, and the 73 Pin Up in PSA8.

Am on the lookout for a PSA8 74 Deckle White Back though! Also that is a REALLY nice raw 73 Comic! Would you ever sell that one?

Such a silly one to be thrilled over. But man! The 88 record breaker base release in PSA10 has become obscure! This was the first PSA10 I've seen in like 2-3 yrs.

Multiple NR registry guys made it a hard fought auction with 20 bids and last min sniping. Each one gets me closer! The Topps master set for NR really is hard though. Only three guys have ever finished it.

Managed to jump up two spots to #5 on current finest and #8 all time. Will see if I can keep killing it!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I <3 this thread. I've been putting together a Ryan run for years in centering heaven. It's a labor of love.

Andy

@ahopkins said:
    I <3 this thread. I've been putting together a Ryan run for years in centering heaven. It's a labor of love.

This 1000%. Not only is it beyond pricy to do it in high end, but it is so dense. The guy played 27 seasons. That's why the compromise I made with myself is Topps master. The general master is pushing 2400 cards. Ridiculous!

Some of the cards left I need in the final 30% come up maybe 1-2x a decade so it'll take awhile to finish. That's why only three people have ever completed Topps master.

I could've finished by now for the most part if I took the easy way out. But I refuse to buy 8's or 9's if there are 10's out there. Out of the 136 items I do have, 81% is in PSA10 with 17.5% PSA9, and 1.5% PSA8. The 9's and 8's were based on there being no 10's in general, the 10 and 9 pop being so low they're in other registries, or a 10 is mid-high five figures like 73/75/78.

I am gonna go for grade review 10 bumps on these three at National. At least that way I am not mailing/risking shipping damage and waiting months.

FINALLY got an 86 PSA10. I gotta say..the 1980 and 1986 were by far two of the tougher basics for me to get in PSA10. This obviously excluding his early vintage. LOL

Even on 10's with this card you tend to see slight white chipping in the black or on the back due to the red. Also auctions never worked out when I'd see ones I did like the look of. They'd get sniped out of reach in the last sec. But got this beauty with no sniping and for market in a PWCC auction which is crazy!

• I love my Nolan Ryans that I have picked up over the years. The 1989 UD Football Ryan from the High Series, and the 1990 Topps 5000th Strikeout card are some nice-looking cards.

Casey Barker
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really admire Nolan Ryan collectors. The dedication, patience, and passion of you guys are unbelievable. I hope you complete your long journey, and best of luck! Awesome thread!