Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this nickel worth more than $0.05 ?

I found a newer nickel that seems to be mis struck. The edges are rounded when looked at on its edge. It is weird looking. Anyone have any idea if its worth anything?

Answers

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 10:57AM

@ianmthomas said:
    I found a newer nickel that seems to be mis struck. The edges are rounded when looked at on its edge. It is weird looking. Anyone have any idea if its worth anything?

Welcome to the forums @ianmthomas. Hard to say without more information. What is the date and mint mark? Please post a picture.

• Options

I believe its 2005 I will post more info and a picture tomorrow.

• Options

• Options

Just a couple cell phone pictures. It's hard to capture the roundness of the edge where a typical nickel is square. I'm not a big collector I just keep coins when i find unusual ones. Not sure if i should hang on to it or just put it in the bucket to be rolled with all the other coins. Thanks for taking the time to look.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 11:00AM

@ianmthomas said:

@ianmthomas said:
    Just a couple cell phone pictures. It's hard to capture the roundness of the edge where a typical nickel is square. I'm not a big collector I just keep coins when i find unusual ones. Not sure if i should hang on to it or just put it in the bucket to be rolled with all the other coins. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Interesting. Looks like someone took some time to round the edges of the nickel in preparation of making it into some type of jewerly, i.e., ring.

Or, it spent some time in a tumble dryer which can cause a similar effect.

Not from the Mint it is PMD. Value is face... 5C.

Quick vid on turning a coin into a ring: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhCYLWDo2c

• Options

Cool thanks.