Home Autographs Forum
Options

White panel autograph basketball cracking

My Nike white panel autograph basketball is starting to get an eggshell like cracking. No peeling yet, just fine cracks. I wondered if anyone else has had that and what they did. It is in a glass case out of sunlight.
To preserve the ball and protect from chipping I thought about a protection type of clear coat that is made for hobby projects. Called krylon clear sealer
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

The krylon will look nasty once that cracks. The ball will lose some pressure over time. You can blow it back up but all that will crack the coating.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell it before the problem gets worse and causes the value to crater. Don't fool around with the surfaces.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still curious about this ball. Personally, autographed balls that are inflatable have always worried me. I know that footballs are leather, but what is a basketball made or? Some sort of neoprene or other plastic? What are the long term prospects for preservation?

Just thinking out load:

1) What was used to produce that white panel - is the color in the material itself or is it a coating or paint that maybe have cracked with age or deflation?

2) Could fluorescent light have caused the issues?

3) Could dryness in the air have caused the issues?

4) Is there a chance that the autographed ball was already coated with something and that is what is cracking?

Just curious since basketballs still scare me as a vehicle for autographs. (Baseballs are unstable enough with stains or toning that shows up years later, as well as ink bleeding into the leather.)