Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post a Pattern

Please share your patterns or trial pieces from any country.

Here is a Frence Essai 10 Centimes that has joined the "flock" (pun intended!).

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Comments

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shared this last year in case someone had more information about it - the obverse design by Pillard, but the reverse appears to be the version by Montagny. So I'm not sure how the mule is referenced. Does anyone have the Mazard book? My old Gadoury only lists the types by artist.
    I like the obverse die breaks.

ATS referenced Mazard-1349

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive @MrEureka

• Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

1951 UK Proof striking of Australia 1/2 penny with "PL" mm, rare and finest graded (next best PR64RB), HA sold partial 4 pc set $50k all in.)
    Thought the mm story worth telling: At the start of Korean War, USA decided it literally needed to buy all the wool in the world for cold weather uniforms, overheating the Australian economy into its highest inflation ever and a need for small change over what could be locally made. Millions of coins were struck in the UK, normally w/o mm, but the no mm type was already taken up by the "no dot" Australian coins. So, the "PL" minmark, taken from Roman issues last made in London in the fourth century (Percussa Londinensis) was used. A small number of proofs or prototypes were made for the The Deputy Master of the Melbourne Mint who visited London in 1951.

edited March 7, 2019 9:21PM

“ETHIOPIA EMPRESS ZAUDITU 1917 RARE GOLD PATTERN of the Empress who preceded the well-known Haile Selassie. As far as I know, the 1917 series in various sizes were the only ones depicting a specific woman of color since Roman times (the 1886 Madagascar and 1898 Hawaii issues were fantasies made for collectors, not actual patterns for a proposed coinage). Denomination in the reverse exergue is always effaced (as issued by the Addis Ababa mint) because the pattern dies were engraved for the obverse portrait only, the reverse a normal 1/32 birr of Menelik I. Gold, 4.85 grams.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1961 French design competition produced 7 patterns. I put a set in a custom holder so you could examine them all at once. The selected design (1962-2001) used two different designers - the obverse by Lagriffoul and the reverse by Dieudonné.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imaging session did not go well for the reverse of this specimen coronation medal.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick question about the above - how is it different than the standard Matte issue? Probably missing something here...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars. In retrospect, probably no difference. Conflating specimen strike with pattern or trial. (PCGS SP62).

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to bore anybody, but the reason I asked is that I used to have a two piece pattern obverse silver set from the DeSaulles estate that had the UK and Colonial type obverses (stolen by ex-wife, so gone now) and didn't see the markers from that one.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

1980 MW Poland, 200 Złotych, XIII Winter Olympics.

edited April 15, 2019 9:26AM

1831 1/2 sovereign pattern in Barton's Metal.
    -Rare, quite possibly unique as a uniface striking of a one-year-proof-only type.
    -NGC older holder PF65 Ultra Cameo and fully deserving.
    -Baldwin's Bentley sale had an 1830 full Sovereign (first year of that too) also in Barton's metal, NGC graded PF62 (hairlined), It had been purchased from Randy Weir in 2003. The extensive write-up (possibly by Randy) postulated that it was the designer's (Merlen) personal coin (Wyon did the obverse). Same reasoning would apply here.
    I was pleased with the condition and price when it arrived, though value of unique items is, of course, a slippery thing.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learned something new today, thanks @Que_sai_je !

Barton's Metal
    Composite
    Barton's Metal is in fact copper overlaid with a thick layer of gold, and was used in 1825 during the reign of George IV for pattern five pound and two pound coins by the Royal Mint.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone for adding more to the thread! So many interesting types.

@Que_sai_je , that is really neat. I have never seen something like this before.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

That pattern from Peru is beautiful!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    One of my favorites!

That's the ex-Millennia specimen. Did it find it's way to you?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@MrEureka said:
    One of my favorites!

That's the ex-Millennia specimen. Did it find it's way to you?

I've had it all along.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 10:02PM

I've got a couple of these now but this is the better of the two.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one that I don't own. Wish I did!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I think it's fitting to post my new acquisition to this post by @Stella since she was the one who allowed me to view this HK Sale coin in the NYC Heritage offices.

NGC MS64BN. 1899 (Meiji 32) 5 Rin pattern, ex-Jacobs. This was a Meiji pattern that was ultimately issued under emperor Taisho in 1916. [NB: Jacobs obtained this coin in ~1945 and it was most likely red at the time. Unfortunately, his SDB was subject to moisture at some point and many of his copper coins got this somewhat dingy look to them. It's not that bad in hand, and there is no actual corrosion. It certainly matches my other Jacobs patterns of the Taisho era.]

Thanks @Stella! Your efforts were not for naught!

Edited to add: 1 Rin = 1/1000 Yen

Thanks for the shout out, @pruebas ! Apparently I have been away from the forums for too long.

I am very happy that you were successful. Congrats!

It is fun to see such a variety of patterns! Thanks to everyone who posted since I last visited.

edited January 2, 2020 11:23AM

Pre-series Ar pattern with raised "PROVA DI STAMPA" above quadriga. Real pretty coin. First one of these I have encountered. Unique as type @ NGC, with only one also @ PCGS. Guessing mintage of <50. FS. PM if interested.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a fun one I have in an old NGC Fatty MS64 holder: