Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Does anyone have info on these?

Never seen these before, new to the currency side of collecting. What's with the printing on the back of old bills? Which bank was it? Value? Just looking for the story of this currency.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen this before.

Since most Obsoletes are face printed only, the State of Louisiana re-purposed unissued sheets. I’m guessing the unissued sheets were available at a lower cost than blank security paper, saving money while helping recoup the initial cost of printing the unissued sheets.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 2:36PM

Rather than price, it was actually a question of availability of bank note paper in the South during the Civil War. The paper mills and most of the engravers/printers were in the industrial North.

These notes were first printed in blue for an Exchange Office in Holly Springs, MS, probably during the late 1850s. Perhaps some were issued at the time but a quantity of sheets remained unissued until 1862 when the State of Louisiana repurposed them, printing the other side and placing many into circulation.

Some sheets were signed and numbered but not cut into individual notes and put into circulation. They are occasionally available as uncut sheets with four blue MS notes $5-$5-$10-$20 on one side and six Louisiana state notes on the other side.

Heritage just sold one of these sheets at $264.
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/obsolete-banknotes/baton-rouge-la-state-of-louisiana-1-2-3-1-2-3-feb-24-1862-uncut-sheet-about-uncirculated/a/141907-82199.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

That is very interesting

• Options

When I was a kid I found a Holley Springs note that was reconstructed by cutting up and pasting together some of the Louisiana notes.

• Options

Wow that is pretty cool

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3