Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

T206 Cobb Question - UPDATE (Back Scan Added)

AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2019 10:37AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have a chance to purchase this card as part of a package deal that I think is a fair price.

Im just wondering does this look overgraded? I dont mind the crease in the card Its just whats going on above his head. I'm out of my realm with cards this old and what leniency if any the grading standards would be on this.

I'm into more modern cards for the most part. So any help would be appreciated. If this looks like a reasonable 3 then I would feel comfortable purchasing it

cobb.jpg 109.9K

Comments

• msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

IMO - card was over graded and if submitted today, would be a '2'' at best (and that may take some work)

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Thats what i was afraid of. Anybody else agree or disagree?

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you get a back scan? It may be technichally a 3, however candidly eye appeal is tough.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I’d probably get a 1.5 if I submitted that card but it does not matter. It’s in a 3 holder so you would get low end 3 money. Probably around $2,500-$3,000 imo

Can get back scan tomorrow. Hmm if thats what low end $ would be for that I guess i should buy..id be in for it at under 2

• Without seeing the back...

Remember that PSA puts a lot of weight into centering (as they should), and that card is very well centered (at least on the front)... If graded today, a 3 might be a reach, but 2.5 is a definite possibility.

DesertIceSports.Com

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I also see this card as a PSA 2.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I’d expect a 1 on most days and a 2 in good days if submitting it myself, based on how heavy the crease is and where it is located.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is that not a 1.5 with a qualifier? The registration is really bad. His face looks like I need 3-D glasses. The surface is a mess, not just with whatever the yellow stuff is but with damage to it. The right edge damage crawls all the way over onto the front surface. You have the significant and large crease on the bottom right and then a second crease by his left shoulder. All four corners completely rounded.

As someone pointed out, if this isn't for your PC it's a moot point as you'll be able to get low-3/high-2 money for it. But I wouldn't touch this card anywhere near market price.

Arthur

Makes sense to me Reggie.

Well I would love to actually have a Cobb to keep and enjoy but I guess the best bet is to buy it and flip it and make maybe a couple hundred after fees and forget about it. Cant complain there. I just rather it would have been a 3 that was a little better condition and hold on to it

One other thing - Look at this 1.5 - Dont you think the one Im posting is better than that? That maybe it could be worthy of a 2.5 at least? Seems better than this example:

ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Piedmont-30-350-TY-COBB-PORTRAIT-RED-SGC-1-5-HOF/173714927767?hash=item2872377097:g:w5kAAOSws2RcJ6Bn:rk:7:pf:0

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1.5 grade is sort of a catch-all. It's basically saying, "this has all the technical qualities of a 1 but it's not like it got put through a few spin cycles and cooked in a casserole. Basically, it has eye appeal for a poor conditioned card." Saying one 1.5 is better than another 1.5 is like eating the "less yellow" snow.

Arthur