Home Sports Talk

Big win for AAF, as new football league posts better ratings than Rockets-Thunder

stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-win-aaf-new-football-league-posts-better-ratings-rockets-thunder-174503810.html

Big win for AAF, as new football league posts better ratings than Rockets-Thunder

Never, ever underestimate the power of football in America.

The Alliance of American Football, a league most people probably couldn’t name one team from before this week, debuted on Saturday night. Its debut, with two games on CBS, was up against a great NBA matchup between James Harden’s Houston Rockets and Russell Westbrook’s Oklahoma City Thunder on ABC, a fantastic game that ended with a comeback Thunder win.

And the AAF posted better television ratings.

That’s a heck of a victory for the new football league, which generally played to positive reviews in its opening week.

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good friend of mine works for the Atlanta team, wishing them a good future.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d love to see this work out, giving these athletes I believe over 80K a year I think? I hope it works out but coming strong out of the gate doesn’t guarantee success. Other leagues like this have failed

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’d love to see this work out, giving these athletes I believe over 80K a year I think? I hope it works out but coming strong out of the gate doesn’t guarantee success. Other leagues like this have failed

You're right, but i think the growth of legalized sports gambling in our country will likely ensure the success of this league and the upcoming XFL in 2020.

Gambling fanatics will be watching and betting on these football games in a similar way that they watch and bet on cheap race horses. Action is action, and to a degenerate gambler, the next best thing to gambling and winning, is gambling and losing.

Hence the TV ratings, which is a major part of the lifeblood of a football league, will probably be sustainable.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

did you see that corner back launch off the top rope ?

Alliance of American Football Opening Night Highlights
    https://youtu.be/sZ-TxSQhU6M

Yes, it's not difficult to see the obvious difference in skill level between this and the NFL. But it's not that bad. And if your town doesn't have a team in the NFL, it's probably fun to have a local team to root for.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Alliance of American Football Opening Night Highlights
    https://youtu.be/sZ-TxSQhU6M

Yes, it's not difficult to see the obvious difference in skill level between this and the NFL. But it's not that bad. And if your town doesn't have a team in the NFL, it's probably fun to have a local team to root for.

My nearest town has a population of about 50. When do we get a team?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

You've got a team, and the refs in this football league are superior to NFL refs.

https://youtu.be/4v7V9oIdx5A

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

You've got a team, and the refs in this football league are superior to NFL refs.

https://youtu.be/4v7V9oIdx5A

That second kid has a possible future in the NFL as a RB, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

That second kid has a possible future in the NFL as a RB, LOL..

Yea I saw that.

Lawrence Taylor might have a tough time tackling that kid. LOL

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard they will be producing a set of cards for this league. Might be worth it especially if some player is a “Rookie” in this league and gets the call from an NFL team. I wonder how much NFL Scouts will actually look at this league for talent

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I heard they will be producing a set of cards for this league. Might be worth it especially if some player is a “Rookie” in this league and gets the call from an NFL team. I wonder how much NFL Scouts will actually look at this league for talent

Maybe the price of my He Hate Me cards will go back up in sympathy

@perkdog said:

NFL scouts will certainly look at it. I think the players who markedly stand out from the other players, may get invitations to NFL camps, or perhaps a few even signed during an NFL season if a particular NFL team is devastated enough by injuries at a certain position.

In any event, it may be a few players who eventually land on a NFL roster, but it definitely won't be many. I only watched the posted highlight video, and the discrepancy between the talent level is telling. If one of those teams was in the NFL, they'd go 0-16 without any doubt whatsoever.

All that being said, it did appear to be some entertaining football if watching and enjoying it for what it is.