Home Q & A Forum

2 questions

New to the forum. Thank yall for all the knowledge. I got 4 rolls of coins from a customer of mine whos uncle had them hidden under a chicken coup so she said. Plastic tube of 1960 quarters, plastic tube of 1959 d pennies, an original bank wrap roll of 1960 dimes, and a red wrap roll on 1959 d pennies. All of them are clearly uncirculated. L My questions are:
Should i break open the dimes in obw? id really like to search them lol i took out the first coin to see if they were all same year.
And is there some sort of trick to getting the coins out of the plastic tubes without possibly hurting the coins?
Thanks for any input.

Best Answer

Answers

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 2:04PM

I can't speak on the rolls, but lots of people use gloves and a micro fiber cloth when removing and examining them from coin tubes.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 2:07PM

What Hallco said. Definitely do your work over a soft non-bouncy surface. Avoid fingerprints on the coins. I'm not a roll guy so I can't help there.

Welcome!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 2:23PM

Speaking as someone who as a boy it was my daily chore to collect eggs for breakfast every morning and hens every night for dinner, I only have this to say; that girl's uncle did a mighty fine job of hiding those rolls. Chicken coops are GROSS! Good job uncle!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta look at them. Be careful handling them. They should come right out of the plastic tubes. The chicken coup thing sounds like something used to tone coins.

@Smudge said:

. The chicken coup thing sounds like something used to tone coins.

With all due respect....you've got to be kidding. Or something. Toning has nothing to do with it. If, and I emphasize IF the story is true, the uncle hid his treasure in the chicken coop because that's the LAST place on Earth any thief would WANT to look or WOULD look. Common hillbilly procedure. I should know. I'm a proud member of the fraternity. California REDNECK! With all due respect.

edited February 10, 2019 3:16PM

Dear Fellow Forum Members;
    Does it ever occur to any of you that posters with only ONE post already have the wherewithal to know how to include NUMEROUS photos along with their FIRST thread? NUMEROUS PHOTOS. ALWAYS! Doesn't that seem just a little odd? Thank you Heather Boyd. At least SOMEBODY around here gets it. It's killing this place. Thanks Heather. Keep up the good work.

• @acloco said:
    To remove from the plastic tubes, using an exacto blade/razor blade/sharp knife/etc, scribe a line the entire length of the tube, warm with a hair dryer, and tube will split.

As others have stated, complete this project over a padded surface - I use "micro fiber" towels - find them in the cleaning section of your favorite auto store/wally world/dollar store/etc.

Thanks a bunch

• So to reaffirm, crack open the obw dimes?
    The 2 pics was bc i couldnt remember coin photo etiquette flash or no flash so i did both lookin at them im assuming no flash is proper...thanks all again on the responses

• @Hydrant said:

@Smudge said:

. The chicken coup thing sounds like something used to tone coins.

With all due respect....you've got to be kidding. Or something. Toning has nothing to do with it. If, and I emphasize IF the story is true, the uncle hid his treasure in the chicken coop because that's the LAST place on Earth any thief would WANT to look or WOULD look. Common hillbilly procedure. I should know. I'm a proud member of the fraternity. California REDNECK! With all due respect.

This is texas so the idea of a hillbilly hideaway is not too far off....the uncle had 1 hell of a collection under there but i didnt have anymore cash in my pocket at the time. Severl unc rolls of nickels from the 30s...the guy had the right idea....everything was in a bag in a metal box and thats how she kept it in her house.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing some nice pieces hidden in them there rolls. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52