Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Heavy Die Crack 1988 25 cents canadien WOW

I have been searching for error coins for a long time. I finally found. Unless someone tell me that I am full of it….
There is also extra metal on the date , the 9

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

On my PC the line looks indented/scratched into the coin. Is that the way it looks in person?

• acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hello JBK, it definitely doesn't look life someone scratch the coins. The metal his broken along the line. Look at the H, half of it it rise up compare to the other half. Same thing with the L in ELIZABETH.

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

A die crack would all be raised. It looks like externally caused damage or it was a flaw in the planchet .. hard to tell from the pictures.

Here is additional pictures that could be related to the die crack. It's located at 180 degrees on the rim. that damage area also have the same length has the crack. Perfect match from beginning to end. The observe also has a weaker strike then the reverse, and where is the chrome on the observe.
    Thanks for looking in to this.

![](https://us.v-
    cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/zi/6um70ezp6g3z.jpg "")

@syl said:
    A die crack would all be raised. It looks like externally caused damage or it was a flaw in the planchet .. hard to tell from the pictures.

look like 2 titanic plate collide together one side hi raised.

I am confident enough to sent it to NGC

You are wasting good money sending it to any TPG. Your coin has lived a hard life and it's best to let it rest in peace. Just "wishing" that you have finally found an error doesn't mean that you can call it one on a whim. It is NOT an error ... you asked us and we told you. Let it rest.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, please DO SEND IT IN.

No guts, no glory!

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    No, please DO SEND IT IN.

No guts, no glory!

Agreed. Life favors the bold. DO IT.

@syl said:
    You are wasting good money sending it to any TPG. Your coin has lived a hard life and it's best to let it rest in peace. Just "wishing" that you have finally found an error doesn't mean that you can call it one on a whim. It is NOT an error ... you asked us and we told you. Let it rest.

I dip in acetone so I can send you better pictures. What a little odd about it. if you just cross a 90 degrees angle from where it start ta 10 oclock and finish at 8 oclock bring them at 180 degrees on the side on the rim, it damage. A 180 degrees on the side on the rim.

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

I think I just had a flashback...

@acadien said:

@syl said:

I dip in acetone so I can send you better pictures. What a little odd about it. if you just cross a 90 degrees angle from where it start ta 10 oclock and finish at 8 oclock bring them at 180 degrees on the side on the rim, it damage. A 180 degrees on the side on the rim.

@syl said:

@acadien said:

@acadien said:

@syl said:

@syl said:

Hello Syl, , WHAT DI YOU MEAN BY ''or it was a flaw in the planchet. An yes I am thankful for you comment, would you like me to send you that coins so you can take a good look at it. I would be please if you do....

Your coin is PMD. By planchet flaw, it means that the coin blank had either impurities in the alloy, gas bubbles, or some other irregularity that causes the planchet to peel, break open, or delaminate. As I've said before with your various "I hope it's an error" postings, you need to get Byers or Wexler's actual books and STUDY them so that you know what a real error looks like and how/why it was made. Just google up "error books on coins or something ... Here is just a sample: https://www.google.com/search?num=40&newwindow=1&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&q=books+on+coin+errors&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1kbSuk7HgAhUjgK0KHe2KCQgQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1280&bih=649
    It incumbent on you to do some study/research rather than provide coin sites with multiple multiple photos for others to look at.

@syl said:
    Your coin is PMD. By planchet flaw, it means that the coin blank had either impurities in the alloy, gas bubbles, or some other irregularity that causes the planchet to peel, break open, or delaminate. As I've said before with your various "I hope it's an error" postings, you need to get Byers or Wexler's actual books and STUDY them so that you know what a real error looks like and how/why it was made. Just google up "error books on coins or something ... Here is just a sample: https://www.google.com/search?num=40&newwindow=1&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&q=books+on+coin+errors&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1kbSuk7HgAhUjgK0KHe2KCQgQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1280&bih=649
    It incumbent on you to do some study/research rather than provide coin sites with multiple multiple photos for others to look at.

Hello syl, your the pro and I appreciate every comments. Funny to say but I felt on a 1986 die crank penny. I see the difference in both the quater and the penny. You know, I am aware that it's going to take time before I can really be confident toward what I send. And with my trauma even longer. I have been at this for 6 months and I am no pro just a beginner. So yes I will keep sending picture to get answer and the reason for this is simple. To be able to process and learn everything has to go through my eyes sight and writing.,Otherwise I quickly lose any informations that I learn in less than a day.

It a huge handicap for me to be involve in this hobby. So please don't be discourage with me I don't need this felling that at some point, no one his going to be responding to what I send.

Sincerely

Acadian
    ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/
    n4/e49fxvlkybz3.jpg "")

@acadien said:

@syl said:

Hello syl, your the pro and I appreciate every comments. Funny to say but I felt on a 1986 die crank penny. I see the difference in both the quater and the penny. You know, I am aware that it's going to take time before I can really be confident toward what I send. And with my trauma even longer. I have been at this for 6 months and I am no pro just a beginner. So yes I will keep sending picture to get answer and the reason for this is simple. To be able to process and learn everything has to go through my eyes sight and writing.,Otherwise I quickly lose any informations that I learn in less than a day.

It a huge handicap for me to be involve in this hobby. So please don't be discourage with me I don't need this felling that at some point, no one his going to be responding to what I send.

Sincerely

Acadian
    n4/e49fxvlkybz3.jpg "")

@acadien said:

@acadien said:

@syl said:

Sincerely

Acadian
    n4/e49fxvlkybz3.jpg "")

Also found this one today

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ko
    /mr6ruhv7mk2c.jpg "")

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acadien - for these to be die cracks, they have to be raised above the surface of the coin. Hard to tell with the shadows, but is the stuff behind the head raised or incuse?

the stuff behind the head raise its a lump

@acadien said:

@acadien said:

@syl said:

@syl said:

I do agree that it look like defect in the planchet if it was a new 2018. Could corrosion got in to it from all of that time. Last question on this one .
    Thanks