Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What should I look for in order to see if coin is real or fake

Hi guys, anyone can tell me what to look for and how to determine if coin is real? My son got a few coins, not knowing anything about it and I would like to help him..just don't know how.
What should I see in this coin?

Best Answers

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 11:43AM Answer ✓

One thing you can look for are high grade coins that lack the sharp, tiny details of the design. That's what I see here. That also does not indicate your coin is a fake as it is hard to authenticate many coins from photos. Another thing is the color. If a genuine coin is cleaned or toned or if a fake is made of the wrong alloy, the coin will look different.

Another thing is the coin's value. This coin is the most valuable date for the type. If I were making a fake, I would choose this one.

Much of the design is worn away but it does not seem to match images on the internet. I don't like the jagged hole in the cheek either.

Because of these things, I would have it authenticated.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your son is developing an interest in coin collecting, you can enhance his hobby by buying him a few items. A magnet, a loupe, a digital scale, a digital caliper. Show him en.ucoin.net a website that provides images, weight, diameter, metal content, value. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Answers

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks harshly cleaned (lowers value).

Might be fake, but if it is fake it is a decent forgery.

Most fakes these days are made in China and many of those are made of steel or iron, so they would stick to a magnet.

• This coin does not stick to magnet. This is the one thing he did try. Where can the coin be authenticated?
    I will get him the suggested items,thank you so much. It's hard if you don't know where to start. :-) thank you

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

The source of the coins is also a key indicator. Especially when starting out, he should only be buying from reputable sources.

• @JBK said:
    The source of the coins is also a key indicator. Especially when starting out, he should only be buying from reputable sources.

Adding to this: in addition to reputation, be sure that the seller has a clear-cut return policy on the matter of fakes.
    The fact of the matter is, the fake situation is getting so incredibly tricky that even John Q Coinshopowner really stands little to no chance on raw coins. Even if his reputation is good as a dealer, that doesn't mean much if he's not willing to stand by his product in the event it turns out to be bogus.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

The first thing I always do before buying a coin is look it up in the catalogue. Learn the weight, diameter, material(s), etc. and examine both faces' images if possible. Most coins should not be magnetic but some should be ... so do your homework. For new/young collectors, Krause catalogs are a good start.

The first exception is when buying from a reputable dealer from whom I have built a friendship over time. There is a strong bond of trust and accountability. Even so, I will still examine the coin thoroughly as everyone is human and prone to accident.

The second exception is if I am buying online from a respected auction house and/or if the coin is slabbed (example: PCGS, NGC, ANACS). Doing your homework before buying is still highly recommended AND be sure to look up the barcode to prevent counterfeit slabs (they do exist!) however your odds are much safer.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you buy slabbed coins only, watch out for scrupelless basement slabbers.
    slabs and printers can easily be bought.
    there is a lengthy list somewhere on the web.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life