Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Queen Wilhelmina

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are a regular, I know that you have seen my Wilhelmina collection. You actually motivated me to check my Wilhelmina online album and I discovered some errors. A few older items never were placed in the album and I found a misplaced coin, a Black Sea ancient portraying Gordian III. So, thanks for the tune up!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the wiki on Queen Wilhelmina .

She was a phenomenal leader .

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

She was a phenomenal leader

Yes. I consider her one of my two inspirational heroes. The other is Jeanne d'Arc.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back before the Euro era you could go into Dutch banks and buy the older Wilhelmina 10 Guilder coins for a small percentage above melt. I have several of the young head examples from 1897.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • atomatom Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

During WWII, three days after the German invasion on May 10, 1940, Queen Wilhelmina fled to London.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Back before the Euro era you could go into Dutch banks and buy the older Wilhelmina 10 Guilder coins for a small percentage above melt. I have several of the young head examples from 1897.

I also like the young portrait. I really should get a better example of this one. We have one of the gold, but it is in the SDB at the moment.

@atom said:

@bidask said:

During WWII, three days after the German invasion on May 10, 1940, Queen Wilhelmina fled to London.

The British saved her and transported her to Great Ritalin.

She. went on broadcasting to her countryman from Great Britain much like King George VI did for his countryman.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

The British saved her and transported her to Great Ritalin.

She. went on broadcasting to her countryman from Great Britain much like King George VI did for his countryman.

Unlike King Leopold III of Belgium who consorted with the Nazis and ended up abdicating as a result. Queen Wihelmina, the Queen over the Water, was continual thorn in the side of the Nazis because of her popularity and her broadcasts only inflamed them more so.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Love that coin and medal @SaorAlba

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an unc. 1913 10G that I love.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also been collecting Queen W coins that were fashioned into jewelry during WWII. Pins, necklaces, etc. were made using her coins and highlighted her portrait. It was a sign of admiration for her and defiance against the Nazis.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I was the only one that likes netherlands silver. Although with me its junk silver guldens :)

the 2 1/2 guldens in large size are my favorite. Most of mine are 72% but I have snagged a few 1800's era in the 94.5% purity here and there.

None of them are all that common in bullion lots but I'm building a small hoard over time.

@JBK said:
    I have also been collecting Queen W coins that were fashioned into jewelry during WWII. Pins, necklaces, etc. were made using her coins and highlighted her portrait. It was a sign of admiration for her and defiance against the Nazis.

I saw just last week a bracelet made of the 1/10 gulden coins I would have bought it but it was tiny , almost child sized.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't get a price on that bracelet when I stop in next week to pick up my pile I'll casually inquire :# might get it for scrap if I'm clever

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

An item I have had for a while, but never found a reference. About 22mm, white metal, and looks like a loop has been removed. But an interesting early portrait of Wilhelmina ? I'm not quite sure about the reverse - perhaps one of those high striker games... What do you think?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    An item I have had for a while, but never found a reference. About 22mm, white metal, and looks like a loop has been removed. But an interesting early portrait of Wilhelmina ? I'm not quite sure about the reverse - perhaps one of those high striker games... What do you think?

Probably a carnival prize.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 39 ✭✭

My one and only Wilhelmina. Isn't she lovely?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eTSwUss.jpg[/img]

Guess I need to learn how to upload images here. :)

There we go!