Home Sports Talk

1973 mike or 1975 george

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am putting this discussion in the sports forum even though it is card related because of the two players involved. I think it will get more eyes here, due to recent discussions (I mean arguments)

So which rookie card is better, the 1975 Brett or the 1973 Schmidt? Mike has two "rookies", George 3
Here are the pops:
1973 topps and opc Schimdt

Total 10 % 9 %
6226 6 .1% 235 3.7% for topps
305 6 2% 43 14% OPC

1975 Topps, OPC and Mini Brett

Total 10 % 9 %
8928 9 .1% 287 3.2% Topps
205 3 1.5% 22 10.1% OPC
2296 8 .35% 156 6.8% mini

there are more PSA 9 Schmidts than bretts on ebay completed sales right now. if anyone has a sub to VCP they could be helpful here.
there have been 6 73 topps Schmidts in PSA 9 sell. two PWCC PQ examples averaged at around $3050. average 9's sell for about $2200.
One PSA 9 Brett sold for a best offer accepted. I didnt take the time to look it up on worthpoint, but the original price was $2250. Two OPC examples sold and averaged about $1900.00

Value wise, I think Schmidt wins out by a bit.

both rookies in highest grade are about as difficult to find. although in raw form i would say the Schmidt is less plentiful, probably because it was a high number.

however, the Brett is more iconic as it was a solo card and the green and purple borders are much more attractive than the plain white of the Schmidt.

Mike may have a better OPS + than george, but Give me a 1975 Brett rookie all day. in fact, give me the 1975 OPC Brett.

what about you?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a sucker for the Brett 75 Topps mini

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m a sucker for the Brett 75 Topps mini

m

I like Schmidt's rookie card and the 73 set in general, but love the minis more. I've pulled a few Bretts over the years but never a Schmidt.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.......I had no idea that Cards from this era were worth so much!

@DIMEMAN said:

Vintage card market and especially unopened product from that era keeps going up.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 2:02PM

Tim keep me in the loop on unopened 75 mini wax boxes. I grew up in Michigan where these were mostly distributed and it brings back great ripping memories

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the ‘73 set so gotta go with that.

• Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 2:35PM

Simple,

The one that sells for more money....though I like the look of the Brett card better.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Stop it! 🙃

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mike Schmidt is the better looking superior card.

We all know it. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The Mike Schmidt is the better looking superior card.

We all know it. ;)

Actually on straight eye appeal it’s not even close, three players on the front of the card is horrible for a look. The Brett Card is a much better looking card, Id chose the ‘73 only because I think the overall set is better looking with some of the best action shots. The Fisk is legendary

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 14 Brett rookie cards not counting a couple off center minis' and 0 Schmidt rookie cards.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now due to the 73 Schmidt being a high number, does that mean his rookie card performs better in the post season?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@Justacommeman said:
    Tim keep me in the loop on unopened 75 mini wax boxes. I grew up in Michigan where these were mostly distributed and it brings back great ripping memories

m

Will do, Mark~75 mini wax boxes have risen in value quite a bit (along with most other forms of unpened product) over the past few years to about 4K retail a box at present. I remember buying them for $800 a box after the REA auction when Charlie Conlon's stash of 75 mini cases was auctioned off. Should have bought/kept more than I did, but they were a blast to rip!

If you are lucky enough to get a 5th series 73 wax pack (Schmidt RC is in 5th series), you have a very good chance at pulling a Schmidt as the series is limited to 132 cards vs all series format in 1975 with 660 cards. Of course, 5th series 73 packs also command a premium because of that. A single 1973 5th series wax pack containing 10 cards retails for $450+.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I hate the three people on a card look. Even as a Schmidt worshiper, I like the looks of the Brett card better. I actually prefer the 74 Schmidt card but it is plain with the white border.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

I have both Brett's and the Schmidt in PSA 8. I'll go with the mini.
    In this and another recent thread about vintage live breaks it was said the mini packs were worth $225. Big Jump.
    I bought 2 about 2 years ago on this board when a BBCE sealed box was split up. Most people ripped them and nobody reported getting a Yount or Brett. Maybe one of these days...…..

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975 George all the way.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set