Home Q & A Forum

1963 d lincoln cent

Should i have this graded. Seems like peefect almost

Tagged:

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell, but you do realize it will not increase in value once graded? Common coin that is readily available in PCGS slabs. If you think it will go 67 then by all means get it graded.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 6:57PM

Umm, they made about 1 3/4 Billion of those and 40% or better (Guesstimate) still remain uncirculated. so I say it's not worth it

and Welcome to the Boards

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I would pass on the grading but keep looking for uncirculated coins. Look at PCGS trueviews for reference and if you have a dealer nearby go look at some slabbed uncirculated coins so you know what to look for. Always use a loupe with smaller coins like these and pay attention to the high contact areas and focal points of the coin.

• @AUandAG said:
    Hard to tell, but you do realize it will not increase in value once graded? Common coin that is readily available in PCGS slabs. If you think it will go 67 then by all means get it gra

• What do you think about this. It weighs 3.0

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weight is correct (within tolerances) but the coin will not grade very high. Not high enough to pay to get graded.

Big hit on mintmark, all around the date. The coin looks like an AU to my eyes.

save your money.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • @AUandAG said:
    Hard to tell, but you do realize it will not increase in value once graded? Common coin that is readily available in PCGS slabs. If you think it will go 67 then by all means get it graded.

I looked it up in pcgs guide and i looked at other graded coins of 66 and up. And the one i have looks better than any of them. I have never sold a coin before. Im just trying to learn. Some people say they are plentiful, but why would they be priced so high?

• @Josh32 said:
    I would pass on the grading but keep looking for uncirculated coins. Look at PCGS trueviews for reference and if you have a dealer nearby go look at some slabbed uncirculated coins so you know what to look for. Always use a loupe with smaller coins like these and pay attention to the high contact areas and focal points of the coin.

Thats what i was thinking about going to a good dealer. The reason i think this 63 d is high grade is because the close up detail. It has perfect memorial steps and ican see all the detail inbetween pillars

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1982 D post mint damage should interfere with a high grade. Go to a coin shop to see and learn about what an actual AU or MS Lincoln memorial cent looks like. Need to see close sharp images of the obv and rev of the 1963 D in order to comment. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• @Namvet69 said:
    The 1982 D post mint damage should interfere with a high grade. Go to a coin shop to see and learn about what an actual AU or MS Lincoln memorial cent looks like. Need to see close sharp images of the obv and rev of the 1963 D in order to comment. Peace Roy

• @Williamwise100 said:

@Namvet69 said:

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 5:27AM

@Williamwise100

Welcome to the PCGS forums!

Not sure which coin you are asking about, 82D or 63D? You are mixing pics for both in one thread. Recommend separate threads for each coin.

Grading a coin can cost about $40-$50 (fees, postage, insurance). The cent would have to achieve a high grade.

The following is for the 63D.

For comparison. Coin Facts:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1963-d-1c-bn/2885

What do you think your coin would grade?

Grading standards:
    https://www.pcgs.com/grades

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Williamwise100

Finding an ultra high grade coin in circulation is similar to finding an original old Corvette with 100 miles at the local used car lot. Every time the coin contacts another coin, it can pick up small marks that reduce the grade. In addition, in order to be able to determine the differences between the higher MS grades requires a lot of experience. To use the car analogy, knowing the differences is like those car judges at shows who can spot if a wire is not the original type, or the dashboard finish wasn’t correct. You and I say “who cares”, but that’s the level of detail that’s need to determine if you have a nice uncirculated cent worth less than a buck or an MS67 coin worth getting graded. Just because it looks nice, doesn’t mean it’s valuable. You can go to coin shows and buy rolls of reasonably priced uncirculated 1963D cents. Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982