Home Precious Metals

Priority box for registered mail?

maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please advise on registered mail shipping in priority boxes. Is it necessary to wrap them in brown paper?

I can't find an answer on USPS.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 11:10AM

You can use priority material for registered but it has to be a paper box or envelope, not the poly bubble envelope. Do not wrap box in paper. Tape all seams (paper glue backed tape, available at Staples) including where the sides of the box were glued together. Do not cover the entire box, clerk needs to see that it's a flat rate box. All registered mail can be tracked on line with the shipping number, so there is no need to purchase delivery confirmation. All registered mail requires a signature from the recipient, but if you need on line proof of the signature for ebay or paypal, I find electronic return receipt (requested at the counter) is cheaper than using the postal form for signature confirmation.

Also if weight is less than 13 ozs. it is cheaper to not use a priority box or ship priority. Two different base rates for registered: first class and priority. When using first class request first class, some clerks will charge priority rate if you don't specify. Ship first class registered items in non priority packaging or you will get charged the priority rate.

If shipping medium flat rate, a number of assembled small flat rate boxes will fit perfectly in them for filler material. Then put your merchandise inside the smaller boxes.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx. I'm planning to ship 100 + Oz of rounds in tubes. Medium box with inserted boxes will work.

@derryb said:
    yes, you can. Tape all seams (paper backed glue tape, available at Staples) including where the sides of the box were glued together. Do not cover the entire box, clerk needs to see that it's a flat rate box. I find electronic return receipt (requested at the counter) is cheaper.

Also if weight is less than 13 ozs. it is cheaper to not use a priority box or ship priority. Two different base rates for registered: first class and priority. When using first class request first class, some clerks will charge priority rate if you don't.

If shipping medium flat rate, a number of built small flat rate boxes will fit in them for filler.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope this helps, from USPS DMM: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm

Under overview select “2.0 Registered Mail”

Thanks, it was helpful.

@Hemispherical said:
    Hope this helps, from USPS DMM: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm

Under overview select “2.0 Registered Mail”

@derryb said:
    You can use priority material for registered but it has to be a paper box or envelope, not the poly bubble envelope. Do not wrap box in paper. Tape all seams (paper glue backed tape, available at Staples) including where the sides of the box were glued together. Do not cover the entire box, clerk needs to see that it's a flat rate box. All registered mail can be tracked on line with the shipping number, so there is no need to purchase delivery confirmation. All registered mail requires a signature from the recipient, but if you need on line proof of the signature for ebay or paypal, I find electronic return receipt (requested at the counter) is cheaper than using the postal form for signature confirmation.

Also if weight is less than 13 ozs. it is cheaper to not use a priority box or ship priority. Two different base rates for registered: first class and priority. When using first class request first class, some clerks will charge priority rate if you don't specify. Ship first class registered items in non priority packaging or you will get charged the priority rate.

If shipping medium flat rate, a number of assembled small flat rate boxes will fit perfectly in them for filler material. Then put your merchandise inside the smaller boxes.

THANKS MUCH

J

edited January 30, 2019 3:02PM

You will need to fill out a PS for 3806 for all registered mail. On it you will declare the value. Your registered mail fee will include insurance for this value. Form is available at the USPS self service counter at your PO. Take a few of the 3806's home with you.

Just out of curiosity, once you have mailed the item, go the paypal shipping label page, and see what it would have cost you to send it non-resigered insured priority. I find the savings kicks in with registered around the $700-$750 value range. Cost of registered first rate normally begins at around $20.

Also you can stock up on all kinds of free priority shipping supplies at the USPS website, include their forms. Delivered to your door. There are different sizes of priority boxes available on line that you won't find at the PO.

Will Do

edited January 31, 2019 5:44PM

Best to walk up to the counter packaged and ready to ship, form filled out. All you have to do is say "first class (or priority) registered, electronic return receipt." Your registered number ending in "US" is your tracking number.

On line USPS Domestic Mail Manual for those who wish to save the link.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great info and advice based on experience here, thanks for the post and all of the replies :smile:

I have found that no matter what the regulations are most every PO has certain quirks [some more lenient and some more strict].......JMO

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper tape was always supplied to me by the post master, along with a damp sponge to activate the glue. You may want to inquire rather than incurring and extra cost. :)

It's all about what the people want...

Never hurts to ask. THX.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 9:29PM

@mapleman said:
    Thx. I'm planning to ship 100 + Oz of rounds in tubes. Medium box with inserted boxes will work.

@derryb said:
    yes, you can. Tape all seams (paper backed glue tape, available at Staples) including where the sides of the box were glued together. Do not cover the entire box, clerk needs to see that it's a flat rate box. I find electronic return receipt (requested at the counter) is cheaper.

Also if weight is less than 13 ozs. it is cheaper to not use a priority box or ship priority. Two different base rates for registered: first class and priority. When using first class request first class, some clerks will charge priority rate if you don't.

If shipping medium flat rate, a number of built small flat rate boxes will fit in them for filler.

You can get those into a small flat rate box. just brown tape the seams.

Also, priority is just first class mail that is more than 13 ounces in weight.

And to boot, registered mail gets kinder and gentler handling so less chance of damage.

edited January 31, 2019 4:49AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

100 oz is a lot of weight in the small box. If you go small box make sure you heavily tape it. Small boxes that are heavy tend to get dropped a lot during shipment, primarily because the person picking it up does not expect it to be so heavy.

Correct, but priority rate costs more than first class rate. If a registered shipment is more than 13 oz. it will be charged the higher priority rate even if it is not in a priority box. If it is under 13 oz don't use priority box and request the first class rate.

And to boot, registered mail gets kinder and gentler handling so less chance of damage.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

100 oz is a lot of weight in the small box. If you go small box make sure you heavily tape it. Small boxes that are heavy tend to get dropped a lot during shipment, primarily because the person picking it up does not expect it to be so heavy.

Correct, but priority rate costs more than first class rate. If a registered shipment is more than 13 oz. it will be charged the higher priority rate even if it is not in a priority box. If it is under 13 oz don't use priority box and request the first class rate.

Of course priority costs more than first class since it's a different service tier. Once you get over 13 ounces it goes priority regardless of package type. The trick is knowing when to use the flat rate box once you're in the priority tier. I'd have to dig up the charts to see. In this case flat rate is a no brainer. I've gotten 6 rolls of ASEs into a SFRB. I'd question the wisdom of paying almost $25 to ship 100 silver rounds but what ya gonna do.
    For a SFRB going registered I just tape the ends and the sealing flap. If one covers up the words SMALL FLAT RATE BOX one could get stuck losing the flat rate discount.

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I'd question the wisdom of paying almost $25 to ship 100 silver rounds but what ya gonna do.

Ya could ship regular priority SFRB with sig. conf. and $1700 insurance at a cost of $31.70. But you wouldn't actually be insured since USPS pays claims on bullion only if sent registered. In OP's case Registered FR priority would be cheaper and actually insured.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll use a medium box with strong corrugated boxes inside. My thought is that if unregistered the weight [120 ozs] will/could attract some unwanted interest. Registered it is and much thanks to all.

J

edited January 31, 2019 10:32AM

The extra few bucks for the medium FRB over the small FRB is worth the piece of mind that the very heavy small box doesn't bust open during shipment. be sure to secure the coins so the don't get bag box marks.

After adding insurance to a non-registered method your shipping cost would be higher than sending registered. The insurance is included in the registered fee.

They're in tubes secured with filament tape.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a heavily taped SFRB inside a legal sized FR envelope. I taped the inside of the envelope like mad and taped the outside edges.

it was a 100 oz bar and it made it ok.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    I sent a heavily taped SFRB inside a legal sized FR envelope. I taped the inside of the envelope like mad and taped the outside edges.

it was a 100 oz bar and it made it ok.

Thanks, for my package boxes In box will work best.

5 tubes etc.

J

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's an odd feeling to pick up that small but heavy box isn't it?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Yes and quite satisfying actually. Kind of hate letting it go but as I've said it's bullion......

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's an odd feeling to pick up that small but heavy box isn't it?

• EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

I would be sure that the rounds are not even a little loose in the tubes. Pack the end with a piece of foam or cotton. They may have a tendency to make that distinctive silver ring when bounced around. Why invite mischief if it can be avoided.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

Peanut on top thanks.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get over 13 ounces it goes priority regardless of package type.

Not true,,,,, you can mail up to 16 oz package at 1st class rate.

GrandAm :)
    edited February 4, 2019 9:38AM

from USPS website:

Restrictions
    Maximum weight for First-Class Mail letters is 3.5 oz; for large First-Class Mail envelopes and parcels the maximum weight is 13 oz.