Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

costs to certify and grade dimes

So I sent out 29 coins to PCGS to be graded. Mostly Morgan dollars, but a few older half dimes, shield nickles and a few mercury dimes. They charged me $40 per coin because some of the coins were worth over $3000. How can anyone justify spending $40 to certify a dime that may only be worth $10 - or even $100 bucks. Am I missing a deal here or something?
best regards
Paul

Comments

• I have several hundred mercury and Roosevelt Dimes in mint condition that I would love to have graded. Many have DDO, DDR and RPM mint errors and such that I inherited. I am very new at all of this so some advice would be helpful.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't send coins that are worth less than $300 with coins that are worth more than $3000.

The cheaper coins should be sent using Economy Service which is $22 per coin.........$27 if you want Gold Shield.

• I just listed this 1946-P Roosevelt with DDO FS-104 at eBay item number:163515319649 I have a number of similar quality dimes. If I were to submit this one listed and my others would PCGS automatically find these special errors or do I have to point them out? I ask because I really do have a bunch and I do not want my time nor money wasted on non attributed Vams or whatever they are called.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulEngelbrecht said:
    I just listed this 1946-P Roosevelt with DDO FS-104 at eBay item number:163515319649 I have a number of similar quality dimes. If I were to submit this one listed and my others would PCGS automatically find these special errors or do I have to point them out? I ask because I really do have a bunch and I do not want my time nor money wasted on non attributed Vams or whatever they are called.

You would send them under variety attribution. PCGS would locate the variety if the coin has one. If it does not, they will send it back without a variety attributed.

The one for the eBay item number provided appears to be machine doubling, and is not worth a premium above silver content.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Since you are new, I would highly suggest you have a knowledgable dealer at least pre-screen the coins you wish to have certified you are sending them through the proper channels. As it seems you did not do that this time around.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Here is nearly the exact coin above listed on ebay shown on variety vista http://www.varietyvista.com/07 Roosevelt Dimes/DDO Detail Files/1946PDDO008.htm

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 4:55PM

No way around the fees.

Breaks down as follows...

$22 economy grading for dimes up thru 1965
    $16 for dimes post 1965
    $65 for Variety attribution

Next two I am not sure if I remember correctly and are approximations...
    $10 for the order in handling of paper work
    $35 return Shipping and handling to and from PCGS
    $10 for True View

So... about $87 for a dime variety plus about $5 per coin in miscellaneous fees assuming a 10 coin submission.

If the variety has a premium, splurge for the attribution. If no premium don't attribute unless it's PC or for registry.

When you go to sell... take great images highlighting the variety and list for as long as possible. Cherry pickers will find the coin and pay accordingly.... or not.

FWIW... I had a 1956 Proof Dime DDO that listed for several hundred. A little bit of ugly toning brought it down to basically what I paid in fees.

I am sitting on at least 30 toner Roosevelt dimes, luckily not too many worthless varieties. Going for the $22 route at some point.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@yspsales said:

$10 for True View

You would save $5 per coin if you submit using Gold Shield option. The TrueView is free and the cost of the option is $5 added to which ever service level you choose (Economy, Regular, etc).

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@yspsales said:

$10 for True View

You would save $5 per coin if you submit using Gold Shield option. The TrueView is free and the cost of the option is $5 added to which ever service level you choose (Economy, Regular, etc).

but that is for entire order, if only a small portion of order wanted, cheaper doing individually if you want TruViews.

@davewesen said:

@robec said:

@yspsales said:

$10 for True View

but that is for entire order, if only a small portion of order wanted, cheaper doing individually if you want TruViews.

The OP's first post in the thread says he was charged $40 for each coin submitted. That indicates his full order was sent using Gold Shield.($35 Regular + $5 Gold Shield)

But you are correct, if he only wanted 10 of his 29 coins TrueViewed it would cost $1115 with regular service ($35 per coin and $10 for each of the 10 coins that need a TrueView).
    All 29 going Gold Shield with 29 TrueViews would be $45 more.......$1160 compared to $1115 with 10 TrueViews.

If he only wanted 5 TrueViews it would cost $1065. If he only wants 1 TrueView it would cost $1025 for the 29 coin submission.

• This is why I try to buy graded coins if I want one. Someone else has paid the high fees.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulEngelbrecht Any grades back yet?

Later, Paul.