Home Sports Talk
Options

Rivera, Halladay, Mussina. who do you draft.

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2019 12:21PM in Sports Talk

I saw this thread posted on a baseball forum I frequent and thought it may be interesting to see where everyone here falls. If you were a GM and was able to draft one of these three pitchers who were chosen for the hall of fame this year as a rookie, who would you choose and why?

My Draft list would be
Mussina- longevity and excellence
Halladay- excellence but hampered by injury some years
a distant third
Rivera- the innings he threw were great, but far too few of them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rivera - closers like him come along once in a lifetime.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 2:04PM

Rivera
    Mussina
    Doc

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mussina

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Rivera - closers like him come along once in a lifetime.

Kinda depends on how you look at it. Guys who will be successful in 89% of their save attempts are a dime a dozen. Guys who will do that for 19 years? That's tougher to find (obviously).

So the question becomes, "how long are you needing the guy you're drafting?" 1 year? 5? 15?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just know I watched the Tigers fretter away their WS chances with great starters and poop relievers so I’m biased. The game is players different when you have a legit stopper

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

It has to be a starter; true #1's are impossible to find. I think I would choose Doc. In my mind just a bit ahead of Mussina and his ability to finish games would eliminate some of the need for Rivera. Can't really go wrong here.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take Halladay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halladay is a great choice. Really could be a toss up with he and moose. Docs top seasons were better than mussinas, but Mike had more quality seasons. Peak vs longevity. One could make the argument that moose was ready to go as a full time starter by year two doc wasn't ready till year 5.

At any rate, top shelf starters bring much more value to a team than even the best relievers. MLB GM's agree.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.