Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Starting a New Collecting Journey: University of Virginia Cavalier Basketball Alumni

JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Like many on this board, I was a passionate baseball card collector throughout my childhood. I basically stopped collecting after leaving for college in the fall of 1996, and while Id pick up a few packs now and again, I didn't really jump back into the hobby again with both feet until early 2017. Also like many, I was completely lost in the maze of parallels, short prints, refractors, autographs, weird die cut inserts (actually those were around when I left), serial numbers, and so on. I started off relatively slowly, read more than I bought (these boards were and continue to be a HUGE source of information), and gradually picked up more and more steam. After about 6 months I had morphed into a Topps, Topps Heritage, and Topps Archives junkie.

I continue to be extremely active in collecting lots of baseball cards of those three "brands", and while I'll sprinkle in some Topps Chrome once in a while, I don't stray far from this primary focus....usually narrowing that focus further to the 5 players listed in my sig line.

Baseball has always been the passion of my life. I won't bore anyone with my biography but long story short, I played baseball through college and then in Europe for three seasons after getting out of school, and I am a high school coach today. That said, as a fan , UVA basketball has been the team Ive rooted the hardest and most passionately for since the day I knew what sports were.

My grandfather went to UVA, both of my parents went to UVA, and I am a UVA alumni ('00). Im old enough to remember Ralph Sampson, but Richard Morgan was my first "true" favorite player and Shawn Moore and Bryant Stith were Gods to me in middle school. Im not really sure why Ive waited until age 41 to start doing this, but its high time I started putting together a collection that represents my love for UVA hoops. So Im going to start now.......

The idea is to eventually collect at least one RC in PSA 10 from every UVA player from my lifetime who's been under contract with an NBA team (and has a card). Wally Walker, you are awesome but you're not on my checklist. Due to the fact that I will have to submit most of these guys in order to come up with a PSA 10, I envision this being a long, slow journey. Additionally, I don't really have a great feel for the basketball card market, and hope that this putting together this obscure collection will also help boost my knowledge about what's out there.

I'll update this thread as I add new pickups. Please feel free to add any comments, criticisms, observations, or UMBC jokes as I go (I can take it) :)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Comments

• Options

First addition. Have a strong feeling it won't be the last purchase I make of this guy.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2019 9:32AM

First card in the PSA submission pile for this endeavor. Just a rock solid college PG. Spent 12 games with LeBron and the Cavs last year and is playing this season in France.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 1:48PM

I did the same thing with CofC NBA players. Admittedly a narrower scope than UVA (Charleston went D1 in 1991). Anthony Johnson and Drew Goudelock are the two players who have played in the pros and have cards. Joe Chealey is a possibility with the Hornets this year. Only advice I could offer is I put a bunch of money into Panini autographed card parallels for Goudelock, right when they came out, and got burned when Goudelock never signed the cards. Especially for the non-top end guys it will make sense to wait a year or more to pick up the top end inserts especially for cards that are only still "redeemable".

Bryant Stith was the man.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Great advice Dave. Makes a lot of sense. Appreciate it!

And yes he was ;)

• Options

A couple recent pick ups. I've never really been much of a patch/relic card collector but this multi-color UVA game worn stuff might just get me hooked!

• Options

Celebrated today's W over Notre Dame with this purchase. All Hail Bryant Stith.

• Options

Go 'Hoos!!! Jeff Lamp!!!

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are off to a great start! I'm going to love this thread! Wahoowa!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Love this thread. Fellow member of the 2000 class. Go Hoos!

Doesn’t exactly meet your criteria, but you should add Bennett’s rookies to the mix for fun.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 8:41PM

As an NC State fan and alumnus, I can't support this journey. Just kidding :D Good luck!

• Options

@maddux69 said:
    As an NC State fan and alumnus, I can't support this journey. Just kidding :D Good luck!

What a game tonight. That game scared me a lot going into it. NC State has a very bright future with Keats IMHO. That pressure defense made the Hoos do some things I NEVER see them do. Very lucky to get out of their with a W. Glad to only play the Wolfpack once in the regular season!

@DEFPOTEC said:
    Love this thread. Fellow member of the 2000 class. Go Hoos!

Doesn’t exactly meet your criteria, but you should add Bennett’s rookies to the mix for fun.

Oh, he's gonna be in there all right! I have about 50 Skybox and the like already, but Im holding out for a tougher rarity to use in "the set". As a life long Virginia fan, I really can't properly express how much I appreciate Tony for what he's been able to build, and the way that he's built it. If you'd have told me during Dave Leitao's last season that we'd be a 1 seed in 5 years I would've laughed you out of the room.

• Options
    BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

WahooWa Brother!!! Fricking awesome set your building. Wahoo basketball is a huge passion of mine as well. Good luck and keep posting.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I'm a Wisconsin Badgers and Milwaukee Bucks guy. But I could easily adopt the Cavaliers as my 2nd team as they are lead by UW-Green Bay legend Tony Bennett!

Malcolm is a great initial purchase! And my goodness is Brogdon good. What a steal the Bucks got when he dropped into the 2nd round (36th overall pick) of the 2016 NBA Draft. He is currently on pace to be the NBA's 8th member of the 90/50/40 club. Currently he is 95.3% FT (leads the league), 51.7% FG and 41.6% 3PT. Great defender and an outstanding penetrator who finishes at the rim so well with either hand. Very possible he may garner an All-Star game selection this year.

Good luck with this collection going forward!

Jeff

• Options

Huge UVA Hoops fan!! Richard Morgan could fill it up from outside!!

• Options

@VaRedsFan said:
    Huge UVA Hoops fan!! Richard Morgan could fill it up from outside!!

Man could he ever. Wasn't bashful at all about pulling it either! We loved him for it though. As Ive talked about with @Kid4hof03 in a few PMs, he was my first true favorite player. Loved so many guys from that group. Crotty, Stith, Ted Jeffries, Dirk Kastra, (son is on the team now....God Im getting old), Matt Blundin (also an NFL QB), Anthony Oliver...I could go on.

• Options

Had a chance to pick off a few Brogdons recently. I'll start with this one. My third daughter was born on 1/18. We named her Josie Virginia. People all assume its because Im from Virginia and live in Virginia, which is fine, but really she's named after a basketball team. My wife wouldn't let me name her Anthony Bennett but she loved Josie Virginia so we went with that. I made an offer to the seller from the hospital room while my wife and I were waiting around for her to start going in to labor (long story). Seller accepted about an hour after my daughter was born....so this is "Josie's card" and will never ever leave the collection. Im definitely still learning on the basketball stuff, but I liked the fact that this was /49.

Guess I decided that I liked these Orange parallels, because I won this Probstein auction last night as well. This one is /199.

And here are a few raw knick knacks Ive snagged recently as well. Its been cool for me to experience genuine "thrill" again with $3-$5 purchases. In a project such as this with so many of the players I need having 0 cards whatsoever in the PSA pop, much less any 10s, there obviously are and will be a lot of raw purchases made. Unforunately none of these is "10" quality, but Im super happy to own them and put together a raw hoard of Wahoos in the process.

I will always love you, Junior Burrough.

Tony's first stud at UVA. Didn't recruit him, but Mike constantly credits him for making him an NBA player.

Jeff Jones' biggest recruit during his UVA tenure. A very, very good Cavalier PG.

• Options

Couple of raw pickups for the submission pile (hopefully). Can't wait for Duke on Saturday! Here's to a very quick recovery for Ty Jerome.

• Options

I really like that Justin Anderson! I'm with you, hoping Ty can be healthy, they are good, but not the same team without him on the floor.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2019 6:48AM

Pedro Cerrano sacrifices chickens in the clubhouse for good luck......I buy obscure autographed basketball cards of guys who never actually played in the NBA. Sure hoping to beat Duke tonight but not really expecting Jerome to play and if that's the case it's gonna be a very tall order for my boys. They're all gonna have to get after it like this guy tonight:

One of my all time favorite Cavaliers. Nobody in the 1990's ACC played tougher than Harold Deane.

• Options

Really liked the look of this Moses relic. It's /10. Still trying to sort through all the different Panini issues...this one is "Vanguard". I just liked the look and the 3 color patch. Three way tie for 1st in the ACC after last night! Turnovers are killing me, though.

• Options

That's a great Brogdon! There are so many really nice current issues, I can't seem to keep up with half of them, must less all.
    I'm with you on the turnovers, the defense has remained steady but being careless with the ball has to change.

• Options

As a die hard member of Wahoo Nation myself you've inspired me and have goven me a new set to collect. Trying to get all 10's is gonna be tough, especially on the lesser players from 15+ years ago. Im sure alot of people didnt protect their John Crotty's and the like very well. I can envision having to purchase quit a very .99 cards with $3.50 shipping to find one that might come back a 10 lol. But ill be fun.
    Here are some Im submitting this week.

My favorite so far is probably the Joe Harris. Its #1 of 25. Only issue is the top left corner has a super tiny ding.

Which Ralph Sampson do you plan on using as his rookie card? It seems that most people consider his 86 fleer yo me his rookie but he does have an 83-84 Star, 84-85 ROY Star and a 84-85 ROY Star Award Banquet card.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Nice! Some great looking cards in that mix. Agree that Harris is really cool. Good luck with your submission!

I hadn't thought about Ralph's star cards to be honest. Was always thinking '86 Fleer....haven't quite worked my way to Ralph just yet.

Keep us posted on your acquisitions! Love it!

• Options

I love that more people are jumping in on this! If you are doing strictly PSA you will have to do 1986 Fleer as they don't grade Star cards, or you could do his 1985 Jewel Prism

I can't wait to see your grades pop! My UVA collection is ungraded but you guys are tempting me!

• Options

That Ralph is awesome. Never seen one of those before. Way cool.

It was just time for me to own one of these....so now I do :) Had the green and the orange already, but had to have at least one of the silver.

• Options

Picked this one up the other day...I didn't necessarily set out to do so, but Ive ended up planting the seeds for a nice little Brogdon rainbow of his Prizm RC. This Blue Wave is /99, and now goes with the green, silver, and orange /25 already in my collection. I'm in no rush to "finish" the whole rainbow or anything, but it's a fun (slow from here I'm sure) work in progress.

GO HOOS!

• Options

That's another great addition, can't beat a Brogdon rainbow.

• Options

Beautiful Card

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Stared at this card for about 4 months and was finally able to reach a deal with the seller last night. I love the relic, don't love the sticker at all, and really don't love that the signature on the sticker is cut off........but what the heck, it's Simba!

Apologies for the annoying screen shot...

• Options

Great card, I definitely agree with you on the signature being cut off on the sticker, but that's a good looking card. Two games down, four to go!

• Options

Just saw it....I had missed it before. That’s awesome. Honestly I’d love a copy of his sig to add to my UVA alums in the pros collection. Thanks a ton for even asking! This board is awesome.

PM coming....

• Options

@JKT said:
    Stared at this card for about 4 months and was finally able to reach a deal with the seller last night. I love the relic, don't love the sticker at all, and really don't love that the signature on the sticker is cut off........but what the heck, it's Simba!

Nice! WahooWa! I still believe that if he didnt get his finger injured and his appendix removed before the tourney we could have really contended in 15. If he would stayed for his senior season no telling what we could have done. Great card! Great Player!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

@han_soto said:
    not sure if you saw my reply to your uva post on the “what are you working on post” but pga pro steve marino is staying at the house this week. if his uva grad appeals to you and you want anything, lemme know.

Tell Steve that in 1999 my ex-father-in-law was a club member at a golf course in Lynchburg. I cant remember the name of the course. My wife was class of 93 and Steve was playing in tbhe Virginia Amateur Championship at my in-laws course and he invited me out to watch the final round. Steve played great and won the championship! Great memories! Wahoo Nation!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

WahooWa! What a Game Tonight! My heart almost jumped outta my chest.

Can wait to add Ty Jerome and De'Andre Hunter to the UVA NBA players Checklist next year!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

I still cannot believe that game. One for the ages.

Mamadi Diakete, welcome to my heart forever.

• Options

Unbelievable! I hardly slept last night, just couldn't stop thinking about that game! Olden, Othell, Rickey and Jimmy are now joined by Mamadi, Ty, Kyle and De'Andre!

Let's wait and add Ty and De'Andre to the checklist, I know Ty's coming back, would love to see De'Andre use up one more year of eligibility.

• Options

LETS GO HOOS!!!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the Cavaliers making it to the national championship game. I will be pulling for them tonight. I picked up a 1989 Carls jr. Ralph Sampson the other day on ebay.

• Options

Nice Mason pickups. Tonight's the night, nervous already!

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Congratulations!

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Still awestruck. It actually happened <3B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 3:45AM

Congratulations to the wahoos. They fought like crazy last night! They are the 2019 NCAA college basketball national champions!

• Options

I never thought I'd see this day! I was 8 when Ralph Sampson took UVA to it's first final four, heartbroken when NC State knocked them out in 1983, rode the magic ride with Richard Morgan, Stith and Crotty in 1989 and endured the dark days of Gillen and Leito. Last year was what it was, it's part of the narrative, but when I watched last night I wasn't thinking about UMBC, I was thinking of Terry Holland, Ralph Sampson, Jim Miller, Richard Morgan, Curtis Staples, Malcolm Brogdon, Joe Harris, Devon Hall, Isaiah Wilkins and so many others who came before and were in some part of where this program is now. Thank goodness for Tony Bennett! I still can't believe it, my son just texted me and asked, "is this real?" All I could tell him was, "if it is, I could definitely get used to it!" WahooWa!!!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@JKT said:
    Still awestruck. It actually happened <3B)

Congratulations! I bet it's a most excellent day for you

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Joe Harris from the Future Bankers of Wall Street set?

@JKT said:
    Couple of raw pickups for the submission pile (hopefully). Can't wait for Duke on Saturday! Here's to a very quick recovery for Ty Jerome.

Mike
  • Options

Gold Refractor /100. A man can never have too many Bryant Stiths. This one will be off to PSA with a bunch of others shortly. In about a month or two, the PSA pops of John Crotty and Bryant Stith are about to explode :)

• Options

Well today is day 85 business days since I subbed my UVA NBA players cards, which doesn't mean a whole lot but still excited to see what kind of start I'll have on this new task. Looks like we'll have 3 more players to add to the checklist with De'Andre, Kyle and Ty.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Well I might have to alter the exact goal of this journey. I subbed 16 cards. I knew some had flaws and subbed anyways like the Joe Harris , Sean Singletary and London Perrantes. Jerseys and relics always seem tough. But I didn't expect to be shut out 😯.

2002 UPPER DECK CHAMPIONSHIP DRIVE 106 ROGER MASON JERSEY 8

2017 PANINI CONTENDERS DRAFT PICKS 129 LONDON PERRANTES AUTOGRAPH 9

1989 HOOPS 152 OLDEN POLYNICE 9

1992 STAR PICS 6 JOHN CROTTY 7

1991 HOOPS 472 JOHN CROTTY 9

1991 FRONT ROW UPDATE 80 JOHN CROTTY 9

1992 TOPPS 341 BRYANT STITH 6

1992 TOPPS 341 BRYANT STITH 9

1992 HOOPS 378 BRYANT STITH 9

2018 PANINI PRIZM SIGNATURES S-MBG MALCOLM BROGDON SILVER PRIZM 9

2017 PANINI PRIZM 185 MALCOLM BROGDON RED WHITE BLUE PRIZM 9

2010 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS PATCHES 133 GARY FORBES AUTOGRAPH 9

2012 PANINI PREFERRED 332 MIKE SCOTT CROWN ROYALE AUTOGRAPH JERSEY 7

FLEER HOT PROSPECTS ROOKIE MATIERAL AUTOGRAPHS RM-SS SEAN SINGLETARY 6

2012 PANINI GOLD STANDARD 286 MIKE SCOTT JERSEY AUTOGRAPH 8

2015 PANINI ABSOLUTE TOOLS OF THE TRADE ROOKIE MATERIALS 21 JUSTIN ANDERSON DUAL PATCH 8

2014 PANINI GOLD STANDARD GOLD STRIKE 32 JOE HARRIS PRIME 7

Cards will be here Wednesday. I'll post pics then.

Any body subbed any yet?

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

They got here today. I might not have any 10s but I might just have the