Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Opinions requested on my set.

Not attempting to self promote in any way. But I am a YN who just started a PCGS Type Set of US Coins. I only have a few basic coins on the set. I have been collecting for about 3 years but totally new to the registry.
Wanting for a few more experienced registry collectors to take a peek and tell me your opinions and critiques on the matter.
Thanks for your help.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/176084

Comments

• @John said:
    It looks like you shared your private link to your set (and we need to add a friendlier error message when that happens).

Here's your public link: https://pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/complete-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-circulation-strikes-1792-1964/publishedset/176084

Great start on your set!

Thanks for the link.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @CoinBlazer .
    That is a very ambitious set to tackle and good for you.
    Type sets require you to know at least a lttle something about a wide variety of coins.
    While that is a good thing, some will suggest that you pick your favorite type and try to become an expert in that specific series.
    I like how you've started and everyone likes to see pics of the coins.
    My advice is to take your time and spend wisely. Don't buy a coin that you aren't happy with just to fill a Registry slot.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your anticipated budget for this set? You might find a Dansco album more rewarding and you won’t waste a lot of money paying for the plastic.

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

It appears neither link works.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see your set, but neither link works. What Type set are you in and what is the name of your set?

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 7:40PM

@david3142 said:
    What is your anticipated budget for this set? You might find a Dansco album more rewarding and you won’t waste a lot of money paying for the plastic.

While this is a very subjective subject with valid differing opinions, and I don’t want to go off on a tangent, I can’t disagree more with @david3142’s suggestion. I strongly suggest ONLY buying coins that have been graded by either PCGS or NGC for several reasons. Perhaps the smallest reason (but important), is you’ll avoid counterfeit coins. Second, you’ll avoid coins with the type of problems that result in coins getting categorized as “Details” by those two services (good luck when you try selling those to a knowledgeable dealer or collector). Third, you’ll avoid buying a coin that’s touted in a grade higher than it really is. Finally, and most important, even if you buy a raw coin in the proper grade, with nice eye appeal and it does not have the problem of those coins deemed “Detailed”, you’ll avoid the big problem of when you go to sell that raw coin (it’s likely over time that as your disposable income increases, you’ll “upgrade” coins) when the buyers may argue with you about the grade you claim it is. Even if those potential buyers are honest, since there’s no guarantee it will grade at the level you expect, the buyer has to be cautious in what they pay you in case it grades a half point or full point lower.

EVERY ONE of these four critical issues is minimized or avoided when you buy slabbed coins with good eye appeal that YOU like! Happy Hunting!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

The link no longer works for me. :(

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are doing a PCGS Registry Type set.....don't buy anything but PCGS coins. No need to have to cross on type coins. Just wait and buy what you like that is already in PCGS holders.