Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Theses Seem to be a Tuffy

1997 Power Package Jumbo
NOTE: A special 5" X 7" version was randomly inserted into specially marked Series One boxes sold exclusively at Sam's Club stores.

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beauty.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice card there.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said
    Very nice card there.

You like that huh? I might have another nice one somewhere :p

edited January 14, 2019 1:30AM

heres another
    1999 UD Choice
    StarQuest
    Gold (serial-numbered to 100 copies).

edited January 15, 2019 3:13AM

1997 Fanfest Tin (last tin in pic)

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, that starquest gold...

always loved those.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I'm a Sucker for a Nice 90's Rainbow
    1998 Donruss
    Production Line
    (Power Index is exclusive to Series One Hobby packs, Slugging to retail, and On-Base to Jumbo packs).

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I look for the PP Jumbo of Big Frank daily...still looking. I'm actually building the set since I have so many of the other players now.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

several years back I hooked up some player collectors with their guys
    1993 UD IOOSS Jumbo
    A 3 1/2" X 5" jumbo version was also produced, exclusively to retail re-packs, which contained one pack of each 1993 Upper Deck series. The jumbos cards are each serial-numbered to 10,000 copies.

edited January 17, 2019 3:03AM

1998 Zenith
    1998 Zenith is a 100-card set released by Pinnacle Brands in May, 1998. Dubbed the "Dare to Tear" set, each pack had three 5" X 7" cards with one 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" standard-sized card embedded inside. In one of the stupidest gimmicks ever conceived, collectors were faced with the dilemma of having to choose to keep their jumbo 5" X 7" card in-tact, or to tear open (and thus physically destroying) the jumbo card to get to the standard-sized card. Ultimately, collectors by and large chose to perform "Cardboard Caesarians" by slice the backs of the jumbo cards with a razor blade to remove the smaller card.

Based on reports from collectors who opened large amounts of '98 Zenith packs, the middle jumbo card in each pack usually has a standard-sized insert embedded in it.

5 X 7 Impluse
    All 80 5 X 7 cards are available in the following Impulse parallels.
    *Impulse
    *Gold Impulse (serial numbered to 100 copies)

1998 Pinnacle Performers
    Swing for the Fences
    Swing for the Fences Shop Exchange Cards

edited January 19, 2019 2:09AM

1998 Pinnacle Plus
    Team Pinnacle
    Mirror Gold (print run 25 copies)
    Don't Believe I've Seen Another Griffey

edited January 19, 2019 3:02AM

2001 Donruss Rookie Reprints

Since Ken Griffey, Jr. was under an exclusive autograph contract to Upper Deck, Donruss was unable to have him autograph any of his DKR cards. Since he was the only player unable to sign, Donruss simply made a special un-autographed parallel numbered to only 89 copies, to round out the set. As mentioned in the listing for the regular DKR's, the Griffey, Jr. is an un-corrected error, as the card reprinted was in the 1990 Donruss set, not the '89 one.

While I've only seen Maddux, Ripken and Griffeys

1997 Topps Mint

........ ok maybe I'm just showing off now...........hehe

1999 Black Diamond

Each base card is available in one of three "Diamond" parallels: Double, Triple, and Quadruple. Each is serial-numbered to the following production figures EXCEPT the cards of Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey, Jr., and Mark McGwire.
    Double (Red foil): short set, 3000; Debuts, 2500
    Triple (Yellow foil): short set, 1500; Debuts, 1000
    Quadruple (Green foil): short set, 150; Debuts, 100
    For Sosa, Griffey, and McGwire their Double, Triple, and Quadruple Diamond parallels are as follows.
    Double (serial-numbered to 1998)
    Triple (Sosa: 273 copies, Griffey: 350, McGwire: 457)
    Quadruple (Sosa: 66 copies, Griffey: 56, McGwire: 70)
    The Triple Diamonds were serial-numbered to their career home run total after the 1998 season. The Quadruple Diamonds were numbered to their 1998 season home run total.

1997 Topps ProShooters Marbles was a test issue believed to have been released only in Canada in the summer of 1997. Each pack contained two, 1" diameter, marbles and one of two checklists.

1998 Donruss

Nuff' Said..........

A number of additional Crusade cards were produced by Donruss for future 1998 and 1999 baseball card sets, but were never officially released due to the bankruptcy of Pinnacle Brands. All players in the Crusade set were to have two styles for all three colors: a "base" and "Call to Arms" (CTA) subset. However, the 2nd style for many players were never officially released due to the bankruptcy.

Nice gallery of unknown cards to most of us. You have had a few posts in a row where nobody wrote on the cards what is happening? :smiley:

1997 Score
    Stand & Deliver Gold

Stand & Deliver Gold was a parallel limited to 250 sets and came encased in a glass frame -- with each frame (but not the cards) serial-numbered. Because of the unusual distribution, Stand and Deliver Gold singles are difficult to find, and when they are found, tough to find in mint condition. The Gold cards came in two different flavors: with the words "STAND & DELIVER" in either silver or red letters. It is believed that the first 25 framed sets had the red letters, with the remaining 225 sets were silver lettered.

@NGS428 said:
    Nice gallery of unknown cards to most of us. You have had a few posts in a row where nobody wrote on the cards what is happening? :smiley:

B)

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen this one before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Topps-Micro-Prism-Pack-Ken-Griffey-Jr-on-Top-Don-Mattingly-on-Back/254094603719?hash=item3b2937f5c7:g:miwAAOSwR0dcSosq:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I was searching for Mattingly. He is on the back in this pack, but horrible OC on the back of the card. Have to assume the front is similar.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

One of The Lowest Numbered Inserts of the 90's
    1999 Fleer Brilliants
    24K Gold (serial-numbered to 24 copies)

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 said:
    Never seen this one before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Topps-Micro-Prism-Pack-Ken-Griffey-Jr-on-Top-Don-Mattingly-on-Back/254094603719?hash=item3b2937f5c7:g:miwAAOSwR0dcSosq:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I was searching for Mattingly. He is on the back in this pack, but horrible OC on the back of the card. Have to assume the front is similar.

Those were inserted in the micro sets, I have one that I have yet to open.

1996 Liberty Satellite Sports

The '96 Liberty Sports set is one of the rarest and most condition sensitive oddball sets on the market today. They were issued in complete set form and were often found in rough shape due to packaging them in tight wrappers. Not to mention, they were distributed to employees of the company who probably gave them to their kids or tossed them away.

1999 Upper Deck Ionix
    HoloGrFX Odds 1:1,500

1998 SPx Finite
    Home Run Hysteria
    This ten-card set is only available in Series Two packs and serial-numbered to 62 copies each.

edited January 30, 2019 11:11PM

1998 Upper Deck Retro
    Quantum Leap
    Each card is serial-numbered to 50 copies.

These collectible lunchboxes doubled as packaging for the 24 packs of Retro trading cards inside and were meant to be a collectible it's own right.

I only know of 1 other set of theses
    2007 All Star Fanfest

edited April 13, 2020 2:36PM

Heres /1's you've prolly never seen.......

Not really Tuffys..... just kinda Purdy
    1996 Leaf Bronze Press Proof 2000

Sliver Press Proof 1000

Gold Press Proof 500

1997 Pinnacle
    Home/Away
    Exclusive to magazine packs
    1996 Upper Deck
    Diamond Destiny
    This 40-card set was randomly inserted into special "Upper Deck Tech" packs sold exclusively at Wal-Mart, at the rate of one-per-pack. Each Tech pack contained eight Upper Deck base cards and one Diamond Destiny insert. In addition, these cards are also available in the following parallels.
    *Silver
    *Gold

1997 Score Regional Team
    1997 Score Regional Team were a series of 10 different 15-card team sets. Each team was only distributed within each particular team's immediate geographical area. Only 100 cases for each team were produced.
    Each of the 150 different Regional Team cards are available in the following parallels.
    Platinum Team
    Premier Team
    Based on calculations, there are roughly 137 Premier cards and 711 Platinum cards per player.

Lots of unobiainum here. It is like I am walking through the Smithsonian. I think I may be your long lost brother, write me in your will please! ;)

2005 Donruss
    Inside View
    This insert set was, for reasons that still remain unclear, withdrawn from production. However, again for reasons unclear, some Inside Views made their way into packs.

Originally, each card was to have been serial-numbered to 1000 copies with a Black parallel numbered to 50. The cards that made their way into packs are NOT serial-numbered.

It appears that anywhere from five to 25 copies of each card made their way into packs. A parallel refractor-like, "rainbow" version of these cards exist, however the print run is unknown.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:

The '96 Liberty Sports set is one of the rarest and most condition sensitive oddball sets on the market today. They were issued in complete set form and were often found in rough shape due to packaging them in tight wrappers. Not to mention, they were distributed to employees of the company who probably gave them to their kids or tossed them away.

Those are pretty tough ...

@magicpapa said:
    2005 Donruss
    Inside View
    This insert set was, for reasons that still remain unclear, withdrawn from production. However, again for reasons unclear, some Inside Views made their way into packs.

Originally, each card was to have been serial-numbered to 1000 copies with a Black parallel numbered to 50. The cards that made their way into packs are NOT serial-numbered.

It appears that anywhere from five to 25 copies of each card made their way into packs. A parallel refractor-like, "rainbow" version of these cards exist, however the print run is unknown.

I didn't know about the 2nd version, looks like the hunt continues ...

@LarkinCollector said:

@magicpapa said:

Those are pretty tough ...

@magicpapa said:
    2005 Donruss
    Inside View

I didn't know about the 2nd version, looks like the hunt continues ...

unless I'm reading it wrong, looks like 3 diff. inside view cards, 1- reg, 1 black and and 1 rainbow

1998 Bowman
    Golden Anniversary
    Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Bowman's debut set. Each card sports a gold-stamped facsimile autograph instead of the silver foil on the base and each card is numbered to 50.

1998 Bowman Chrome
    Golden Anniversary (serial-numbered to 50 copies)

edited February 13, 2019 11:48PM

heres a couple unreleased from pinnacle bankruptcy
    1998 Pinnacle Certified
    Mirror Gold

1998 Select
    Five-Star Bonus
    each card numbered to 50

Jersey Number
    2-Star Jersey Numbers: printed on gold holographic foil

edited February 15, 2019 3:15AM

2001 Stadium Club
    Super Teams
    Similar to the promotion in 1994 Stadium Club, Super Teams is a 30-card set with one card for each Major League Team. If the team depicted won their 2001 Division Title (Astros, Braves, Indians, and Mariners), the card could be redeemed for a special 30-card Super Team Exchange set (see below). If the team won their League Championship (Yankees), the card would be good for the Super Team Exchange set and a randomly selected 11 X 14 Autograph (see below).

If the team won the 2001 World Series, which wound up being the Arizona Diamondbacks, the winner would receive the Super Team Exchange set, a randomly selected 11 X 14 Autograph, and be entered into a drawing for two season tickets to the team of the winner's choice for the 2002 season. Each Super Team card had to be redeemed by December 1, 2001.

Super Team Exchange

All six winning cards in the Super Teams promotion received this 30-card set -- essentially a partial-parallel, with one player from each team depicted.

edited February 15, 2019 5:25PM

1998 Topps Stars
    1998 Topps Stars is a 150-card set that was distributed exclusively to Topps' Home Team Advantage stores. Every base set card is serial-numbered to 9799 copies stamped in Red and each pack contains four other serial-numbered parallel cards.
    Each base card is available in the following parallels.
    Bronze (serial-numbered to 9799 copies)
    Silver (serial-numbered to 4399 copies)
    Gold (serial-numbered to 2299 copies)
    Gold Rainbow (serial-numbered to 99 copies)

1997 Finest
    Silver Embossed Refractor odds 1:192

Gold Embossed Die-Cut Refractor odds 1:1,152

And I was happy with the base card. :smile:

1997 Donruss Preferred
    Precious Metals
    Randomly inserted in packs, this 25-card set is a partial-parallel. Each card is printed with one-half ounce of real silver, gold, or platinum embedded into the card. Only 100 copies of each card were produced.

1998 Donruss Preferred
    Precious Metals
    Precious Metals is a 30-card partial parallel printed on card stock made of one gram of real silver (S), gold (G), or platinum (P). Only 50 copies of each card was produced.

@NGS428 said:
    And I was happy with the base card. :smile:

This was a partial-parallel as only the 150 Uncommon/Silver and Rare/Gold base cards had an embossed parallel. Each Embossed parallel is imprinted to create a raised image of the player on the front. The Gold Embossed versions had a die-cut, "deckled" edge on all four sides to further distinguish from the base set.

2006 Sweet Spot Update Veteran Signatures Black and White
    APPX. ODDS 1 PER CASE
    NO PRICING DUE TO SCARCITY

1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos is a set of baseball cards from 1993 that was back doored into the secondary marketplace when Pinnacle Brands went bankrupt. Unlike many other promo sets, the cards were not released to hobby stores or media members prior to the release of the 1993 Select baseball card set. The cards appear to be Proofs of the Chase Stars, Chase Rookies and Aces insert sets in 1993 Select. The key difference is that the backs are completely blank. The card may have been test cards for the Dufex printing technology. It is unknown how of these cards exist or what the full checklist could be.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, I'm enjoying this thread because I've never seen or known about 90% of these Jr. cards. Thanks for posting.

Andy

2006 Upper Deck Frito Lays
    This 30 card set is regular size, measuring 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". Single cards were inserted into bags of Fritos for a very short period of time and I believe they were only available at Wal-Marts. Someone on the marketing end seemed to have dropped the ball because there is no mention of frito lays or a logo anywhere on the card.

1997 Fleer
    Soaring Stars

This set is also available in a "Glowing" parallel. Towards the end of the production run, Fleer ran out of the "starry" holographic foil used on the regular Soaring Stars, and switched to a "glowing" foil. It is believed that 10%-20% of the total production run was printed on "glowing" foil.