Home Q & A Forum

1945 Mercury obv exergue spot

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike thru of a blob of secret sauce. Anyone agree? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, I've seen this characteristic several times before. If the coins had been mine I could have seen if the spot would come off. I suspect it will.

However, on your coin, the "spot" looks higher than the field as if a blob of scrap was struck into the coin.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soaked it in acetone for a while, the spot did not dissolve. Ran a piece of monofilament over it, no raised edge. Could it be a silver alloy flaw?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

You cannot hurt the value of that coin with a dip. Don't rub it applying full strength dip or when drying it after it is neutralized.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

could also be a "skilled" repair job.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    edited January 20, 2019 10:14AM

@YQQ said:
    could also be a "skilled" repair job.

Very doubtful. Think about it. More likely, something was on the coin that retarded the darker toning on the rest of the piece.

Only a dip, no rub. I am a good student. The rev is unremarkable, no deformation or anything opposite the obv item. I appreciate your interest and input.

Hold the phone. I found another Merc, a 1941, similar exergue anomaly but more pronounced. See attached images for your input, especially @insider2. Rev is unremarkable. Peace Roy

Error-ref.com: Part V, Planchet error, alloy error, intrinsic metallic inclusion.
    "An intrinsic metallic inclusion includes all situations in which metal of a non-standard composition somehow resists melting or otherwise manages to maintain its integrity within the molten alloy. "
    @insider2 what do you think?

Put a big drop of full strength dip on the first coin and let's end this thread. :)