Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting Coinage from the Middle East

Collecting coins from the Middle East is admittedly a broad criterion but I am curious how many of you are interested in collecting coinage from the region. Do you know of any good books or online resources to learn more about the coinage? I am getting into collecting Egyptian coinage from the late 19th to mid 20th century.

Happy collecting!

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 3:27PM

There is a nice crown on Great cClectio s for sale very reasonable.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I collect coins from the Middle East mostly from the 19th and 20th century, including many from Egypt. I use the Krause catalog for reference, although I just ordered a copy of "The Coins And Banknotes of Palestine Under the British Mandate." Egypt produces a lot of nice designs for its commemoratives.

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

The catalog numbering in Stephen Album's "Checklist of Islamic Coins" is often used in auction listings. I have the 2nd edition, though I believe the 3rd edition is the most recent. The 2nd edition is useful for getting a general idea of what's out there, for coinages west of Persia, and goes back to the earliest Islamic coins. I'd probably find it more helpful if I could read the coin inscriptions better. Still, the Checklist, and Stephen Album himself, are good sources for the newer collector looking to learn about this collecting area. The Krause catalogs are very helpful for the modern issues, but only go back to 1601 AD.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

Re-read the OP. Krause should be good for 19th/20th century Egypt. If you decide to dabble in older stuff later, Stephen Album's checklist is a good place to start.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of my favorite regions to collect modern base metal coins. Most are very hard to find and very inexpensive when they are. I know there is little history of collecting coins in this region but the middle class is growing and this might well change going forward. Since most world coins have been saved by westerners and we don't like moderns this means very few moderns exist in pristine condition.

I especially like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Jordan but there are lots of good ones out there.

Tempus fugit.
  • eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the resources! I'm going to invest in a copy of the Checklist on Islamic coins and a 19th/20th Century Krause catalog. Are there many dealers specializing in coins from the Middle East? Heritage seems to have a decent selection.

Thank you for the resources! I'm going to invest in a copy of the Checklist on Islamic coins and a 19th/20th Century Krause catalog. Are there many dealers specializing in coins from the Middle East? Heritage seems to have a decent selection.

• tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I usually find Mideast coins from eBay, Heritage, Great Collections, and coin shows.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

The book Arabic Coins and How to Read Them - Richard Plant, is a helpful reference on that aspect of collecting Islamic coins. I like early 20th century coins of Morocco for their artistic patterns.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

Thanks for the resources, I'm investing in a copy of Stephen Albums book as well as Richard Plant.

• The best books on Ottoman coins are Kaan Uslu. Not cheap (I spent about $300 and didn't get them all) to get the various tomes but well worth it if you get serious about the subject.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own any but have an interest in ancient Greek, Roman, Judean and Byzantine (silver and bronze). I have zero interest in any Islamic era coin dating from the present all the way back to inception.

New addition from Mr. E

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, here's a coinfacts shot of it. Lovely coin.

Beautiful coin! Really enjoy the toning and calligraphy.

Are the Kaan Uslu books in English? I checked Amazon and couldn't tell for sure.

@eCoinquest said:
    Beautiful coin! Really enjoy the toning and calligraphy.

Are the Kaan Uslu books in English? I checked Amazon and couldn't tell for sure.

I don’t know.

• Yes, they are in English (they are multilingual)