Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Strike or Surface

Ancient coins seem to be evaluated on strike and surface condition. Which is more important?

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always felt (for non-ancient coins) that strike was more important.

But I’ve found ATS doesn’t think so anymore. Apparently they used to.

• ATS??

• Thanks, but what is ATS?

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Across the street (=NGC).

I had a coin in their old holder with fabulous luster but very poor strike. NGC AU55. Cracked it out and sent it in again raw. MS63 because of the luster. Only one example, but I noticed a trend, which is the only reason I did it.

YMMV.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Across the street (=NGC).

I had a coin in their old holder with fabulous luster but very poor strike. NGC AU55. Cracked it out and sent it in again raw. MS63 because of the luster. Only one example, but I noticed a trend, which is the only reason I did it.

YMMV.

Nice upgrade!

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, do you mean the characteristics found on an NGC slab (example AU, strike 4/5, surface 5/5? It seems NGC did move to not just a 'grade' but also the characteristics of strike and surface. I don't know if PCGS grades ancients yet, and if they do/will do in future, will they use the same descriptors.

Generally looking at an auction listing for a raw ancient there is a lot of verbiage to include designation/weight/diameter/conditions such strike/surface if notable, as well as references and pedigree if any significant. There is a lot that goes into what makes an ancient coin desirable, and what doesn't. Things completely 'unacceptable' on modern coins are not really relevant. Like cleaning. Or touching them.

To answer your question, I don't know that there is a specific answer as ancient coins are more evaluated on the totality of their characteristics. There are some active ancient coin collecting communities out there to query for a more knowledgable answer than mine though :lol: That said, IMO a great surface doesn't make up for a lousy strike where I can't see half the design as it is off planchet.

• Good info. Thanks. Been watching some auctions of Jewish War shekels from AD 66-70 and yes I was curious about NGC's grading strike and surface. Curious that PCGS hasn't gone that route yet.