Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What are your collecting goals for 2019?

I plan on:
1 - Completing my run of regular issue Topps Hank Aaron cards (PSA graded) as I'm down to just a few and already have the most expensive ones.
2 - Building a nice ungraded 1972 Topps set.

Hopefully I can keep focus and not expand too much on this - 2018 was a little heavy on the wallet for me :)

Daniel

Comments

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Finish my Topps Heritage baseball master sets.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Building a nice ungraded 1970 Topps set, Pick up some nice Basketball and Hockey favorites (Halicek, Cowens,Moses Malone )
    Spent most of 2018 on Football, finished my sets 1970-1975 , and got 1 decent card of each HOF 1950 on . Have to verify who I missed . Kurt Warner, Van Buren I know I'm missing.

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 2:11PM

1) Hope to get up to 2500 different Longoria cards. I'm currently at approximately 2300 cards. (Years 2006 thru 2015)
    2) Also get a couple more cards for my side project. (1971 Topps Football graded PSA 8) I need 28 more for complete set.
    3) Second side project: Need 2 more cards for 1977 Topps Buccaneers Team set in PSA 9 (Missing Carter and McKay).
    Already completed 1976 Team set.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:10AM

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Breaking into top 10 in Walter Payton basic set, adding to my Mantle and unopened football wax/cello collection.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Have fun
    2. Stay focused on acquisitions
    3. Part with items others love more than I do
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

stay within budget.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

1) Stay within my budget
    2) Add to my Cincinnati Reds PSA Graded card and autograph card collection
    3) Add 1-2 HOF Graded cards
    4) Send out TTM autograph requests
    5) Collect a new vintage baseball set

I really want to enjoy the collection that I have. Good luck to everyone this year.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Complete my Gilbert Perreault Basic Set (need 1 more card) and publish it.

2) Get to 75% complete on my 70s Sabres Run which is a 388 card run. Currently at 63%.

3) Add a nice copy of either a Orr or Howe RC.

Kevin

• Would love to add some key Jordan cards to the collection, perhaps another pair of Game Used Shoes toward year's end if the Fall Auctions have anything good and as always will be hunting for unique rare Judge cards.

• PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Having sold most of my collection, I am now only working on four 1950s sets and as I am fairly far along I find it difficult to find cards I need. Therefore my goal is to expand the sources I currently use for finding cards to purchase. Also to finish my 1951 - 1969 run of mainstream Mantle cards. I need three more.

• ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

Complete my Basic Topps Set of Mike Piazza , Ken Griffey Jr. , and Kirby Puckett. I only need maybe one or two cards for each of those sets. I will also be purchasing 2019 Topps Series one and two Baseball and pull out the usual suspects (Trout, Kershaw, Cabrera, Pujols, Altuve, Arenado and Betts) to get graded.

• autocutautocut Posts: 101 ✭✭

I plan getting my unreleased collection slabbed for storage. I just haven't decided which service to use. They all have their PROs and Cons.

Out of the hobby, but still love my signature cuts.

Wantlist:
    2001 Fleer Genuine Elston Howard Material Issue Jersey
    2001 Leaf Certified Jackie Robinson Fabrics of the Game Jersey #32
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    1. Have fun

I don't have goals, but I do try to stay close to the things that make me happy. That's why I've quoted Kyle's #1 goal above . I tend to drift from card to card based on the "fun" meter. If I feel like I'm getting too bogged down in the pursuit of something, and it's making me frustrated, I remind myself that I'm not having fun.

Andy

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 11:02AM

Hoping to sell more than I buy:

1) Sell 2 1953 Bowman Color sets - 1 Entirely graded PSA 6 NQ - the other solid Ex -not a single card with wax stains.

2) Sell 2 1953 Bowman B & W sets- 1 entirely graded PSA 6 NQ -the other VG+ no creases.

3) Sell Mid 50s, 60s PSA 6-7-8 graded star cards.

4) Continue upgrading Ex+ grade 1934-36 Diamond Stars Set

5) Continue purchasing Charles Mandel's Helmar Brewing Company's superb art cards.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Finish a set I will take either

1. Signed court kings set
    2. Scooby doo comics set
    3. 1972 basketball set
    4. 1987 donruss baseball set

And I don’t know which is easier??

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Continue the never ending quest of upgrading my 1961 master set into PSA 9's.
    2. Not to make impulsive purchases while waiting for a 1961 PSA 9 to come up for sale (blew that one already).
    3. Continue to sell off parts of my collection on ebay.
    4. Attempt to complete 1958 topps in PSA 8 (under 45 cards to go).
    5. As mentioned previously, have fun!
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Downsize my collection by selling some newer PSA 10 rookies/stars, and purchasing vintage superstars from baseball, basketball, football, hockey, boxing

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 6:53AM

I am at a strange point in my collecting journey. 2018 was the first year since I started collecting wrestling cards that I wasn't able to upgrade a card from my Wrestling All Stars sets. I had a chance to win one but it just ended up going higher than I was willing to pay. The hard part of putting together a serious registry set is as the years have gone by the prices for low pop cards just continues to go higher and it is hard to mentally accept that at times. Just a week ago a PSA 10 of Buck Robley which is a recent Pop 2 went for $1,625. I have $45 in the initial Pop 1 and while I have certainly paid high prices for a few of my commons I try not to because I personally way the risk reward of purchases and these are not the type of cards that can absorb increases in supply easily. I would prefer to place more funds behind stars where the downside risk isn't the same.

I now have five out of the six cards from the 1986 Carnation set in the top grade so I am looking for a nice The Koloffs cards from that set.

I am casually working on the 1985 Topps WWF sticker set and I am at a stand still there until new material surfaces on EBAY I need.

One card that has eluded me is the 1981 Popy Hulk Hogan so that is on my want list.

My Brock Lesnar collection has come along nicely and I continue to add cards from his brief attempt at football to my collection and I am also buying copies that I won't get graded but could use to get signed if that chance ever becomes a reality.

I am very pleased with my Mike Tyson collection and I am still in need of a 1987 Panini UK version in a PSA 10 but have been patient waiting for the market to reflect the sticker is not his rookie and let the spread between the Italian version widen. It has been and so it is a better time to be a buyer there for me. My wife and I have discussed going to the National this year in Chicago and hopefully he is a signer and if so I plan to get some Panini material signed if we go. I have a PSA 8 Italian I will crack out and have some second year Italian stickers that would look great signed too.

Unfortunately there are just not that many cards out there I don't have that I want. It is a strange feeling but it doesn't keep me from searching EBAY everyday and trying to find items to buy that might help my collection or where I feel there is opportunity for me. I realized early on that the profit from cards that is the easiest is buying them raw and getting them PSA graded so I am always on the hunt for situations where I have asymmetric risk. When there is free money staring you in the face I always take it.

I would have never guessed that I would be able to add a few of my key purchases to start 2018 so you just have to take it one day at a time and see what comes up. Good luck to everyone in 2019 and hopefully it is a great year for all.

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 10:48AM

Put A Dent in the 55 topps set , 64 to go
    and a PSA10 78 Dorsett , and to find a raw one out there that will grade 9+

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

My goal every year, to save every 1970's unopened baseball pack/box I can from being ripped. :)

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

My goals are non-sport autograph related.
    1) pay off my Star Wars multi 11x14 I sent to add Ford to.
    2) get a Alan Rickman Harry Potter 8x10.
    3) Hope my guy can add to my Harry Potter poster

That will pretty much do it for my 2019 funds.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

With the very weak CDN dollar so far this year, I have not done much so far. A US dollar cost $1.40 CDN a few weeks back, luckily it is starting to come back down a bit.

I went to my first National last year as well as a few big shows in Canada. I also rented a postal box just over the border for my numerous online purchases. I spent too much money and I feel we are coming to the end of the economic boom in the next year or 2 so I will be cutting back a bit in preparation.

I will focus on filling some holes in my Orioles collection (1950's to present) and picking up some cheap Topps factory sets as I come across them to fill the holes in my run. I collect from mid 70s to present sets and have every set from 1976 to 2001 and 2012-present. Working on the holes, 2002-2011, when I find a deal for example, I picked up a 2014 factory set at the Sports Card expo in Toronto for $20 CDN in the fall. I have every 1980s Donruss, Fleer and Score set except the 1984 Fleer Update.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CdnOsfan said:
    I have every 1980s Donruss, Fleer and Score set except the 1984 Fleer Update.

Saving the best for last, I see.

Andy

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Organize and scan my Greg Maddux master set. Over the years they have just been in PSA storage boxes and sorted by when I picked them up. Now I am going to sort by date that way if I upgrade or add I know exactly where certain cards are. I have around 1000 to scan and if I do around 50 a day I should be done in less than a month. Other than that upgrade my Hank Aaron autos(only a few to go!) and Greg Maddux sets.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 10:53AM

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 8:49PM

My goals are completely different then what they were in early January.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get my raw Mahomes rookie cards graded by PSA. Possibly cross some that are in BGS holders over
    to PSA.
    Work on Willie Stargell and George Brett basic set.
    Keep collecting rack packs with stars on top.
    Need to at least buy a 1984 topps BB wax box BBCE wrapped FASC, then I would have
    from 81-85 all BBCE FASC. Then maybe look for a 1980 wax box as funds allow.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2019 6:55PM

I posted in the wrong thread what I had to say but found this thread searching for the thread I had intended to post in and nice to see I knocked off one of my goals.

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    1. Finish my 48 leaf boxing set
    2. Start grading my Dallas Cowboys rookie cards. Upgrade ones that I'm not happy with.
    3. Possibly start working on the 1910 mecca boxing set.
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no goals. Complete and utter randomness is how I roll.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

No new money into my collection. 1/4 of the way through and I’m on track.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Hunt down white whale cards.
    2. Not get caught by my wife buying white whale cards.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

All seem like worthy goals, except the unopened ones :smile: RIP, BABY, RIP!!! (Hi Mike) I hope you're each making solid progress on your goals.

Here is what I posted elsewhere as goals at the beginning of this year, with updates added:

1. Get my laptop fixed so I can catch up on scanning and inventory lists! It's in the shop now, maybe back this week.

2. Sell more than I ever have before. Failing miserably, but I have made some really solid trades instead. This solves the issue of becoming more focused, but doesn't bring in any moolah.

3. Catch up on PSA/DNA submissions. Just got a batch back yesterday and I piggybacked into the group sub currently marinating at PSA. However, I also continue to accumulate autos I want slabbed, so I still have about 15 in the queue.

4. Reach 64% complete on Yaz master. I don't know how many items this will require, as collectors submit items for the new jumbo holders and expand the checklist. Currently at 61.9% complete and compiling my own stack of jumbos to send by March. I've added a couple of items, but my percentage hasn't improved as the checklist expands, as predicted. I did submit 4 jumbos last month that should hopefully pop soon and I've got one card on the way from mknez. Hopefully 64% or more is achievable in the next 8 months.

5. Add at least one item to my Hannah master set. I've added 2-3 items already, so good there.

6. Add at least 100 Brady cards. Current tally is 750, maybe a few more, so we'll say I need to reach 860. Haven't stayed focused here. I've added 15 or fewer, although some of those are very nice

7. STAY FOCUSED! I have 8 main projects and don't need any more. Don't make purchases outside the following: 5 main player collections, 1 team set and 2 Venezuelan sets. Doing well here. Have put dents in all the projects listed and added no more. I didn't include adding 2019 to my run of Heritage Red Sox team sets, but that's already been wrapped up at this point.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm resurrecting this thread that I started in January. My goals were:
    1 - Complete my run of PSA graded regular issue Topps Hank Aaron cards (mission accomplished!)
    2 - Complete a nice ungraded 197 Topps set (accomplished as well!)

I have also spent the last several months building a 1970 Topps set (mid-grade) that I have almost completed.

To those who had posted goals - how did you do?

Daniel
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not post my goals last year like I should have. the one goal I had was to complete a run of 1991 desert shield psa 8-9 grade of all of the hall of fame players in the set. I have accomplished 95% of the hall of fame players. I still need five more hall of fame players. I still need Winfield, baines, and maybe a couple others I do not remember right now.

I have also been working on a 1969 topps midgrade set. gregmorris cards auctions have been a great place for me build my set. I still need to upgrade about thirty more cards in the set. the next set I would like to start is 1968 topps.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:
    Finish a set I will take either

1. Signed court kings set
    2. Scooby doo comics set
    3. 1972 basketball set
    4. 1987 donruss baseball set

And I don’t know which is easier??

Well looks like I accomplished nothing again this year ;)

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 6:42PM
    1. Knock off the rest of the "affordable" items on my HOF Rookie Baseball PSA set.
    2. Add to my new HOF Rookie Football PSA set.
    3. Continue to slowly chip away at all of my raw sets, 1965-1985.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    edited December 27, 2019 2:26PM

My only goal is to finish my 1948 leaf boxing graded set. I'm only a few cards away so it shouldn't be a problem. Then I start another set of some sorts. Not sure what though.

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

2019 goals from earlier post:

@jlvette50 said:
    1) Hope to get up to 2500 different Longoria cards. I'm currently at approximately 2300 cards. (Years 2006 thru 2015)
    2) Also get a couple more cards for my side project. (1971 Topps Football graded PSA 8) I need 28 more for complete set.
    3) Second side project: Need 2 more cards for 1977 Topps Buccaneers Team set in PSA 9 (Missing Carter and McKay).
    Already completed 1976 Team set.

Here's how I did:
    1) Reached goal one as I currently have 2,571 different Longoria cards, still focusing on years 2006 thru 2015.
    2} Got 1 more card for my 1971 Topps Football graded PSA 8 set. Now need 27 more.
    3) Still haven't been able to obtain the final two cards for my 1977 Buccaneers Team set. However, did complete the 1978 Team set in PSA 9, and am only missing one card to complete the 1979 Team set.

Thanks for posting and bumping up this thread Daniel. :)

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    No new money into my collection. 1/4 of the way through and I’m on track.

I actually accomplished something. I also finished selling everything in my collection that I no longer wanted.

Next up for 2020: don’t buy anything other than the few PC items I still want. Also, only open junk era wax and keep everything else unopened. I will fail on the latter.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Organize and scan my Greg Maddux master set. Over the years they have just been in PSA storage boxes and sorted by when I picked them up. Now I am going to sort by date that way if I upgrade or add I know exactly where certain cards are. I have around 1000 to scan and if I do around 50 a day I should be done in less than a month. Other than that upgrade my Hank Aaron autos(only a few to go!) and Greg Maddux sets.

I was successful in sorting my Greg Maddux master set items, they now reside in boxes and sorted just as the Master Set lists them. If anyone would care to see my album after scanning them all, it can be found here:

https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/greg-maddux-master-set/album/130949

My Greg Maddux set is now well over 1000 cards and finally able to earn a registry medal this year.

As for my Hank Aaron signed set, I added the 1955 Bowman and 1961 Topps from a private signing, acquired a 1967 copy and upgraded my 1976 copy. I am now only missing the '65 and '69 so if anyone has any leads on copies with nice eye appeal please let me know!

@remedylane said:
    1. Finish my 48 leaf boxing set
    2. Start grading my Dallas Cowboys rookie cards. Upgrade ones that I'm not happy with.
    3. Possibly start working on the 1910 mecca boxing set.

I misread the thread.

My proper response should have been: I did not reach my goal to complete my 48 leaf boxing graded set, but I am very close. I did however, start grading my cowboys rookies.