Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Topps Heads Up Test

Besides of the OLD Folklore Story on this product, does anyone have the print run on theses?

Comments

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I'm sure that bishop (Al) will have a lot to add when sees the title of this thread.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen those before, but could you tell us what the old story on these was?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

When was the last time you saw one of these? If you're being honest for most if not all advanced hobbyists the answer will be never! The offered lot is not the altogether easy and nearly laughable 1990 release which can commonly be found in accumulations of cheap wax, but rather the nearly impossible 1989 TEST issue that is so scarce that most enthusiasts have never seen an example of let alone the display box and wrapper. Legend goes that the release was test marketed to a couple of stores in the Pennsylvania area and that an estimated 24 total boxes were produced that contained 24 single item packs inside, thus making it one of the most elusive and rare items ever produced by Topps. The display box appears nearly identical to the 1990 release with the simple distinction being the 1989 copyright date on the box bottom rather than the conventional 1990. The real difference is in the wrapper where on the reverse there is a player checklist that shows a small head shot of each of the 24 players issued in the set. The 1989 issue has 12 players that differ from the much easier 1990 release, thus on the 1989 backs of the wrapper there are images for the following players who are not in the 1990 set: Schmidt (HOF), Murphy, Greenwell, E. Davis, O. Smith (HOF), Grace, Burks, Boggs (HOF), Jefferies, Viola, Strawberry, Jordan, as well on the reverse of the packs there is a 1989 copyright. A terrifically rare modern item that will appeal to Test issue collectors as well as enthusiasts of certain Hall Of Fame players.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 8:47AM

I do have a set of both the 89s and 90s. I have wrappers from both sets, and might have an 89 pack. Will check when I get back home from Dallas. The wrappers have the 2 checklists on them and I can post them when back home. I know Bob, bobsbbcards, has a set of the 89s as well, maybe a couple. There were not as tough as the 82 Blackless or 85 Minis to complete when I was working on them . Not sure now. The other tough 80s Topps issues for me were 1984 Encased and 1988 Cloth..

I have raised this Q before. PSA grades them without the sucker. They came in packs with the sucker. The sucker can be removed. Is removal an alteration ? You can take the sucker out or put in back in. Does that cause minor wear to the card around the punched hole ? I am not a graded guy so this is a fun Q for me

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a scan of my Greenwell but this guy flew under the radar and I scooped it up.

Arthur

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:

You can take the sucker out or put in back in. Does that cause minor wear to the card around the punched hole ? I am not a graded guy so this is a fun Q for me

I've got one opened and one unopened set of the 1990 run. When opening, I carefully removed the suction cup by cutting the head of it off using small cutting pliers to ensure it didn't cause damage to the card. I wouldn't say it's an alteration, because the card part is not altered.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:
    When was the last time you saw one of these? If you're being honest for most if not all advanced hobbyists the answer will be never!

I would agree with this prior to ebay, however, nowadays I don't agree that they are as difficult to come across. I have owned a graded copy of the Bo Jackson from the '89 run. They're attainable but typically expensive, so most people will not see one because they will not find value at the cost. For example, right now multiple graded and non graded examples can be purchased on ebay and BBCE has had a couple of sealed boxes at a large premium for years now - in fact one of those is on ebay right now too.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 1989 Strawberry with the pack wrapper

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:
    When was the last time you saw one of these? If you're being honest for most if not all advanced hobbyists the answer will be never! The offered lot is not the altogether easy and nearly laughable 1990 release which can commonly be found in accumulations of cheap wax, but rather the nearly impossible 1989 TEST issue that is so scarce that most enthusiasts have never seen an example of let alone the display box and wrapper. Legend goes that the release was test marketed to a couple of stores in the Pennsylvania area and that an estimated 24 total boxes were produced that contained 24 single item packs inside, thus making it one of the most elusive and rare items ever produced by Topps. The display box appears nearly identical to the 1990 release with the simple distinction being the 1989 copyright date on the box bottom rather than the conventional 1990. The real difference is in the wrapper where on the reverse there is a player checklist that shows a small head shot of each of the 24 players issued in the set. The 1989 issue has 12 players that differ from the much easier 1990 release, thus on the 1989 backs of the wrapper there are images for the following players who are not in the 1990 set: Schmidt (HOF), Murphy, Greenwell, E. Davis, O. Smith (HOF), Grace, Burks, Boggs (HOF), Jefferies, Viola, Strawberry, Jordan, as well on the reverse of the packs there is a 1989 copyright. A terrifically rare modern item that will appeal to Test issue collectors as well as enthusiasts of certain Hall Of Fame players.

I must have been thinking about the 90 version. Thanks for the write up

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

edited January 12, 2019 7:57PM

not sure if the boxes came wrapped or not originally, but I would think there is/was a good chance of cherry picking could happen

@craig44 said:

@magicpapa said:

I must have been thinking about the 90 version. Thanks for the write up

see what ya get fer thinkin' ...........hehe

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Original boxes were not sealed or wrapped. An original box contains a complete set. A PSA 9 Griffey sold for $4650 in 2017.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:

In 1990, I saw a box or two at a local card show in the Peoria area by a local dealer. I didn't double check to make sure they were 1989, I took their word for it.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were in the market, which I am not. I would contact BBCE to see if he indeed knows the box was not cherry picked. With so few out there I would think it was something he would remember. There is great value either way but the Griffey seems to be the most sought after even though I would find the ones never issued in 1990 more interesting to have. I was not even aware of this issue before this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    ....... I was not even aware of this issue before this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

+1

Never ceased to be amazed at the depth of experience/knowledge in this forum.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Funny story....in 1990, I heard about the rare 1989 Heads Up boxes and I remember my local store having some. I immediately went there and bought the two boxes they had in stock. I thought I had hit a gold mine, then realized I had just purchased the 1990 boxes. Oh well.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@flcardtrader said:

@brad31 said:
    ....... I was not even aware of this issue before this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

+1

Never ceased to be amazed at the depth of experience/knowledge in this forum.

Agreed. Thanks to this board I have learned about some of the more rare issues out there, such as 1989 heads up test, 1985 Minis, 1980 Pepsi Cola All-Stars, 1960s presentation sets, and I'm sure there are many others I am forgetting.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

What can I say? I did a great job taking Bob and Al under my wing and showing them the ropes.

You're all welcome.

Arthur

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 10:34AM

With the 89 issue being so rare and the fact that the 90 cards are the same (for any player making both sets) aside from the copyright, are there any counterfeits out in the marketplace for the 89?

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had Doc Gooden's goofy 1990 heads up smiling mug up on my wall for most of high school. Not really nostalgic about it, as far as collecting memories go.

• vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

@vols1 said:

I had a 1990 box and you could easily see from the shape of the head who was in the wrapper.

there ya go......

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

$4600 on the box. There’s a fair amount of popularly collected players in the set and the top guys don’t come up for sale too often. There’s probably more registry collectors for some players than there were cards made.

Both checklists for comparison

Al
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If collecting the whole set was cost prohibitive, the "Bad Mustache" subset might be an alternative.

I will never buy any but if I did it would be Schmidt. To me he is the best player to only have the test issue.

@brad31 said:
    I will never buy any but if I did it would be Schmidt. To me he is the best player to only have the test issue.

What does that mean ?

Al
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:

@brad31 said:

What does that mean ?

Of the players that only appear in the 89 set, Schmidt is the best of that group.
    As a Schmidt collector, I would agree. I wish I had the foresight to look for one of these back when they were issued. I have a nagging feeling that the card shop that was located in the Gateway Shopping Center (Valley Forge along Rt 202) had the test issue and I missed it. I guess I can console myself with the 85 mini which I did purchase when I got the chance.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bishop said:

@brad31 said:

What does that mean ?

I assume it to mean that there are a few players only available in the 89 test issue that did not also appear in the widely released 90 issue. Schmidt is the best of that group. I am in agreement that I have no desire to pursue the test issue as a set, as the cost is more than I'd want to spend. If I were to buy any single one though, my choice would also be Schmidt.

@countdouglas said:

@bishop said:

@brad31 said:

What does that mean ?

I assume it to mean that there are a few players only available in the 89 test issue that did not also appear in the widely released 90 issue. Schmidt is the best of that group. I am in agreement that I have no desire to pursue the test issue as a set, as the cost is more than I'd want to spend. If I were to buy any single one though, my choice would also be Schmidt.

Exactly what I meant. Thnks for saying it better than I did.

• Anyone have an idea what a complete set of the 1989 Topps Heads Up Test is worth?

• Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

These heads up cards are nice! I've never seen them before!

• My complete set.

@gaud13 said:

My complete set.

Holy Moly

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heard of both sets, thought they were equally rare. Kinda surprised that
    Ripken Jr. didn't make the set.

The 1990 are about dime a dozen