Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you bid on it?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    Did you bid on it?

No, but I thought about it for a bit.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 6:50AM

I think that may be a negative. I’ve been expecting gold beans on slabs of that era.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 6:53AM

I want to know what will happen with the database after the passing of JA before I pay for a sticker.
    Unless PCGS verifies & puts the bean IN the slab, I'm not interested.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:
    That coin is not a Lamborghini, it’s an Edsel! ;)

That a very rare first generation NGC slab. They are very rare and very expensive and in great demand.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited January 12, 2019 7:58AM

@PerryHall said:

@Colonialcoin said:

That a very rare first generation NGC slab. They are very rare and very expensive and in great demand.

Thank you Perry. A few missed that.

From the link.

1898 $1 MS64 NGC. CAC. Housed in a rare first generation NGC holder, which is black with a white label and logo. The coin was inserted with the reverse showing beneath the grade insert, usual for this briefly issued generation. The coin itself is primarily silver-gray, with ocean-blue patina throughout the borders and medium tan-brown toning in design recesses.(Registry values: P2, N208) (NGC ID# 2568, PCGS# 7252)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I want to know what will happen with the database after the passing of JA before I pay for a sticker.

What's quite likely (in my opinion) to happen after anything "changes" at CAC is that the already beaned may get a premium attached.
    We seem so inclined to create collectible status for so many "older" versions of slabs that this would be a natural thing to expect.

.....like the black NGC slab.... :/
    But not that dramatic.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:

The coin is a yawner, and if one wanted to use a car analogy, the slab is no Lambo, maybe a Ford model A or something.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

@Baley said:

@Colonialcoin said:

The coin is a yawner, and if one wanted to use a car analogy, the slab is no Lambo, maybe a Ford model A or something.

For the $3000 price, the slab is the Bugatti of plastic.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone paid 2800 just for the plastic.

No, thank you.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@Coinstartled said:

@Baley said:

@Colonialcoin said:

I think I'd call it more an Isotta-Fraschini. :p

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Colonialcoin said:

Perhaps it is in a desirable holder, but I prefer to buy the coin and not the holder. Just my personal taste.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I like the presentation of this coin as it is slabbed in an original NGC holder though I would not drop that kind of money for just the plastic but clearly there is a large audience for such items. Looking at coins as an overall hobby, meaning not necessarily just the coin but other items associated to coins such as dies, bank bags, etc, I can see a specialized niche for low pop slabs. Even looking at modern issues, people pay a premium for First Strike/ First Day labels when that label has zero relevance to the coin slabbed.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because gold would have looked good..

The more you VAM..
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess this is a case where you're buying the plastic and not necessarily the coin.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 11:26PM

@CommemKing said:
    That’s just dumb. The price that is. Slabs should NEVER be worth more than the coin itself. Lot of biddiots out there.

On the less expensive end, this happens all the time with sample slabs.

@CommemKing said:
    That’s just dumb. The price that is. Slabs should NEVER be worth more than the coin itself. Lot of biddiots out there.

One can say that about many common condition rarities. I am not interested in that holder for close to three dimes, but would be in for 5 or 6 hundred. Demand from the top two bidders is what determines the price. Nothing else.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it with or without the stick ...... arrrgh :)

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

A DeLorean maybe?

Many happy BST transactions
  • ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually saw the coin in hand and liked it. Thick colorful skin. The luster was somewhat subdued by the thick skin but it came alive under the light. Definitely under graded by todays standards.

I’d love to see one with a gold coin though.....

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think spending sticker money necessary on a $90 coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Baley said:

@Colonialcoin said:

I think I'd call it more an Isotta-Fraschini. :p

Yes, I am ready for my close up Mr.DeMille

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

No, thank you.

I'll take a pass also; but this is a case of supply not equaling demand as several posters above have noted.

@mannie gray said:

@Walkerfan said:

No, thank you.

I'll take a pass also; but this is a case of supply not equaling demand as several posters above have noted.

Well at that price, supply did meet demand. All the weak hands were shaken out as the bidding progressed.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the slab not the coin! lulz

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

The same can be said for people that pay hundreds of dollars for a Dime, or thousands for a Dollar. People that don't understand collectibles don't get it. I can't imagine paying $2,000,000 for something that will die, like a horse.

thefinn

@thefinn said:

@CommemKing said:

The same can be said for people that pay hundreds of dollars for a Dime, or thousands for a Dollar. People that don't understand collectibles don't get it. I can't imagine paying $2,000,000 for something that will die, like a horse.

Depends on the horse. ;)

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon man! Buy the coin... not the plastic... no matter what the plastic might be.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@thefinn said:

@CommemKing said:

Depends on the horse. ;)

Never seen one that didn't die. Secretariat would be the only one I would have wanted, but not immortal. I don't think you can auction off a carcass.

thefinn

@thefinn said:

@Coinstartled said:

@thefinn said:

@CommemKing said:

Depends on the horse. ;)

Never seen one that didn't die. Secretariat would be the only one I would have wanted, but not immortal. I don't think you can auction off a carcass.

No, but the assets of the sire can be frozen and later marketed.

@CharlotteDude said:
    C'mon man! Buy the coin... not the plastic... no matter what the plastic might be.

Receiving much less publicity are the GSA holders, particularly the 90 and 91 CC's. Platic premium in in the $2000 range and they are not super scarce.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 1:41PM

No Lamborghini, this is like a gold package on a Chevy Chevette. 1898 in junky MS64, give me a break!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

MS64 is close to perfect.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do people collect first generation Apple computers with the wood case, when the computer has no computing power, and isn't even as powerful as the little chip in your $40 microwave oven? Because they are rare, that is why.

While slabs may not have attraction for most of us, certain holders are rare and desirable just because collectors collect anything where numbers are low and scarcity is high, including first gen. NGC holders.

I wouldn't do it, but I can understand why others do.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

I talked to John on the phone the other day and he sounds fine to me. You could probably call him and ask.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those old black slabs, I'm not a player for $3K, but would love to find one cheap somewhere!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file