Home U.S. Coin Forum

1792 electrotypes - I was shocked at the prices realized last night.......

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are very nice but, really?? I nearly gave mine away a few months ago, relatively speaking.

Guess I'll be doing some provenence research on mine!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gallery Mint copies are only 50 bucks, and comply with the HPA.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow somehow only the last 3 numbers in the price make sense.

As heck even $3800 and $3200 would be crazy.

Somehow feel that a fool and his money got majorly separated bidding on these.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I wrong or aren't these counterfeit? If im right, only a fool would pay those prices.

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.

I underestimated the Birch. -(

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing what fantasy pieces can realize!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone wants my electrotypes, I'll knock off $10K each! :D

When I bought my Birch, pretty sure that JK told me it was from the Parmalee specimen - will have to research that further.....

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    If anyone wants my electrotypes, I'll knock off $10K each! :D

When I bought my Birch, pretty sure that JK told me it was from the Parmalee specimen - will have to research that further.....

Before you discount... Maybe you just bought them when there was limited interest? ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they really are amazing examples. Some of the best I've ever seen. Imagine not spending 2.5 million for a Wright quarter in copper with an old time superb electrotype in hand. I thought they were beautiful, although yes not real coins.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a Wright electrotype, I’ll pay up

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually these are all high quality examples with no unde material showing.
    And has a decent amount off luster. The Washington with lettered edge is also nice. Would love to
    see an edge image.

All in all I’m not surprised for such Museum quality examples.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is impressive. I wonder if this would encourage the making of more electrotypes. @ambro51 has made a few recently and I always liked reading the posts about his experiences.

Hopefully interest in Gallery Mint pieces will go up too :)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:
    Agree.

I underestimated the Birch. -(

As did I but I thought it would still take 10k

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an auction so at least 2 people liked them

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Yes, they are very nice but, really?? I nearly gave mine away a few months ago, relatively speaking.

This Birch cent electrotype, yours, mine, and Coinsarefun's specimens all were made from the same host coin, or perhaps made using a mold.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Wonder what this woulda sold for?

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@Lakesammman said:

This Birch cent electrotype, yours, mine, and Coinsarefun's specimens all were made from the same host coin, or perhaps made using a mold.

>
    >
    >
    Those two electrotype are the finest known, and the best anyone could have besides the originals. I was an underbidder for both of those, but when I was outbid immediately after submitting a bid, I figured I didn't have a chance of winning.
    >
    >
    Aside from those, the unique J-13 White Metal strike of the Quarter was sold in January 2015 at the price of $376,0000.

Here's Heritage's photos of the piece before it was sent to NGC for grading:

>
    >
    Here's Heritage's photos of the piece after it was sent to NGC for grading:

>
    >
    And here's PCGS' TrueView photos after it was broken out of the NGC holder and crossed to PCGS:

Can you say NGC prongs can inflict damage?

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    >
    And here's PCGS' TrueView photos after it was broken out of the NGC holder and crossed to PCGS:

That's terrible. I'll leave it at that.

edited January 20, 2020 9:31AM

@Realone said:
    Its like buying lithographs of coins......RIDICULOUS! Soon one will be able to have one of every single rarity out there.....can't wait for that to happen, at least these are old.

The interesting thing about lithographs and original coins are that both are often struck by steel, dies or plates.

As a coin and art collector, the appropriate comparison seems to be:

• Original hand-creation: drawings or plasters
    • Original die-created issue: lithographs or coins
    • Physical copies of original issues: pencil impressions or electrotypes
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. But, I guess one shouldn't be surprised. Lead is soft.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
    edited January 20, 2020 9:41PM

@cardinal said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@Lakesammman said:

Those two electrotype are the finest known, and the best anyone could have besides the originals. I was an underbidder for both of those, but when I was outbid immediately after submitting a bid, I figured I didn't have a chance of winning.

Aside from those, the unique J-13 White Metal strike of the Quarter was sold in January 2015 at the price of $376,0000.

Here's Heritage's photos of the piece before it was sent to NGC for grading:

Here's Heritage's photos of the piece after it was sent to NGC for grading:

It is straight graded by our hosts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file