Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Civil War date...south of the border

This is my new little piece of history,
an 1862 8 Reales. That was the year the French invaded Mexico. Coin hoards were hidden to keep the French from grabbing them.
I love the proof like look.
What story could this piece tell?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1862, the Mexicans were also tinkering with the decimal monetary system. There is an 1862-Mo pattern centavo.

They started tinkering in the 1840s (with a pattern centavo and Peso) and finally issued decimal coins in earnest during Maximilian’s reign.

• santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭

Great coin!

Chinese cash enthusiast
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Great color and surfaces

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maximilian and France wouldn't have invaded Mexico but for the convenience of the US Civil War.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Maximilian and France wouldn't have invaded Mexico but for the convenience of the US Civil War.

True, except that Maximilian didn’t invade. Napoleon III did. Maximilian was placed on the throne rather reluctantly.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@SaorAlba said:

True, except that Maximilian didn’t invade. Napoleon III did. Maximilian was placed on the throne rather reluctantly.

I do not think he was reluctant about it. He was in fact rather enthusiastic... and ignorant of what was happening. Poor guy, he did not see it coming.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Napoleon III met his personal Waterloo at Sedan in 1871, courtesy of a resurgent Prussian led German reunification.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's different, I like

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 1862 Mexican coin that the French didn't get:

Mexico, Eight Escudos 1862, Durango Mint, Hand on Book style
    Gold, 37mm, 26.95gm

The coin has circulated quite a bit as evidenced by it's wear and scratches and is interesting to speculate where it has been since 1862.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television