Home Sports Talk

Browns hire a new HC.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

They settled on Freddie Kitchens and showed Gregg Williams the door. I guess it was inevitable once they decided on Kitchens that Williams couldn't stay. Not only would it be a reversal of roles but the numbers on the Browns defense weren't good as he held two positions. My only hope is that Mayfield can still be schooled, at least in part as he develops, by the new HC.

The upside of the whole thing is that the defense was improving and they'll probably build on that with drafts and FA. They have 11 picks this year.

Al H.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

One good thing about this upcoming draft is the Browns don't have to go after a QB with their first pick. They can fill other needs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading that Kitchens had a really good repore with Mayfield so it makes sense.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I was reading that Kitchens had a really good repore with Mayfield so it makes sense.

fire the guy that sucked at the start , have a guy turn the team around and show him the door too. Sounds about right for this bunch.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

fire the guy that sucked at the start , have a guy turn the team around and show him the door too. Sounds about right for this bunch.

This just feels like the wrong hire

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Browns seem to give up great players each season during the draft.

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Their turnaround had a lot to do with Kitchens and Mayfield, like I said they have a really good relationship and that’s not a bad thing to stake the franchise on. I understand that you think it was unfair to get rid of the interm HC but what about the NFL is fair? It’s probably the most thankless job outside of LE and Medical

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

fire the guy that sucked at the start , have a guy turn the team around and show him the door too. Sounds about right for this bunch

as a fan who knows little of the negotiations in the HC search, my initial thought was that the Team should have stayed with Williams in that position and Kitchens where he was, OC. the thing is that we, none of us, know what happened in the negotiations. maybe Williams made unreasonable demands, maybe the success since the mid-season changes rests more upon what Kitchens did, maybe Williams was unwilling to have Kitchens as his OC. it could be that as Perkdog is saying, Kitchens is the more important of the two regarding the development of Mayfield, so he was who they kept.

here's what I find a bit disingenuous about some opinions on this topic --- fans seem to acknowledge that GM Dorsey is a smart, successful, proven Football man in the NFL, and when he does this he's foolish and it's the same old Browns. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt along with credit for the changes that have worked. maybe everyone should put down the torches and wait till he fails before we hang the guy.

what I know from reading is that three men were involved and two of them have solid reputations, the third has done very questionable things and is no longer with the Team.

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Their turnaround had a lot to do with Kitchens and Mayfield, like I said they have a really good relationship and that’s not a bad thing to stake the franchise on. I understand that you think it was unfair to get rid of the interm HC but what about the NFL is fair? It’s probably the most thankless job outside of LE and Medical

I don't care if its fair I just have faith that given a choice browns always make the wrong decision :D

edited January 10, 2019 11:20AM

@keets said:
    fire the guy that sucked at the start , have a guy turn the team around and show him the door too. Sounds about right for this bunch

as a fan who knows little of the negotiations in the HC search, my initial thought was that the Team should have stayed with Williams in that position and Kitchens where he was, OC. the thing is that we, none of us, know what happened in the negotiations. maybe Williams made unreasonable demands, maybe the success since the mid-season changes rests more upon what Kitchens did, maybe Williams was unwilling to have Kitchens as his OC. it could be that as Perkdog is saying, Kitchens is the more important of the two regarding the development of Mayfield, so he was who they kept.

here's what I find a bit disingenuous about some opinions on this topic --- fans seem to acknowledge that GM Dorsey is a smart, successful, proven Football man in the NFL, and when he does this he's foolish and it's the same old Browns. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt along with credit for the changes that have worked. maybe everyone should put down the torches and wait till he fails before we hang the guy.

what I know from reading is that three men were involved and two of them have solid reputations, the third has done very questionable things and is no longer with the Team.

You mean bountygate? I'd say mums the word on that because stevek will start talking about the score being run up on the eagles , make a post and use the words "punk" or " bush league" or "hissed off" .

To paraphrase the captain "I'm shocked ! shocked that players in the nfl are attempting to injure people" ,

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care if its fair I just have faith that given a choice browns always make the wrong decision

I think that has changed and the Team is now headed in the right direction. certainly one year is too short for a statement of certainty, but GM Dorsey is a proven commodity and now Principal Owner Jimmy Haslam appears to have confidence in his decisions. it is a start.

to that end, I think the Cleveland Browns may be a textbook example of how things can go wrong when the chain of authority in management isn't adhered to. that is a phenomenon that really started to develop in the NFL in the 1980's and continued unchecked. owners became pro-active and thought they could Coach, GM's made some of the same mistakes and Head Coaches decided that their success meant they could be in charge of more than just what takes place in the locker room and on the field.

Owners should foot the bill, GM's should run all non-playing decisions and Head Coaches should handle on-field stuff. what's so hard about that concept???

I remember when Marty Schottenheimer was HC in Cleveland and he was on the cusp of really great things. his Achilles heal was being a control freak and he didn't have an OC. at the end of the 1988 season the Owner had a meeting with him and Marty refused to budge on that point, so he was fired/resigned, depending on who tells the story. when he was hired by the KC Chiefs on of the first things he did was hire an OC!!!

what an idiot.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

I have no real preference, I'm an EAGLES fan and a football fan. I don't know what went on behind closed doors, but I do know this. The Browns team played hard for Williams and down the stretch, was a tough opponent, even playing with a rookie QB. A team that has been down for so long, that has found a coach to bring the team that far......for my money I would have continued down that path. There's no doubt in my mind that this is a team on the upswing, but will they now take a step back with a rookie coach who must learn the league and all the nuances from a head coach perspective. Just my thoughts. Maybe from the big picture, it will be the right move.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie played qb at Bama. I knew he was coaching in the pros but I had no idea he was good enough to be considered for a head coaches job. Hope he works out for the Browns.

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

I don't care if its fair I just have faith that given a choice browns always make the wrong decision :D

Very fair point 😂😂😂