Home Q & A Forum

Lincoln Center Mint Error?

This coin appears to struck on a defective planchet. I would appreciate any input. I don't know if a determination can be made from photos but I th
ought it worth a shot. Is there any way to get it verified and would it be worth it? I don't have any experience with error coins. But I thought this one may be.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 8:13PM

PMD, post mint damage. Someone used serrated scissors.

Welcome to the PCGS forums @RandalGibbons!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 7:22AM

Damaged for sure.

1) no "Blakesly effect". A clip that large would have a very weak area on the side opposite the clip (near "liberty" on the obverse) as there would be no edge where the clip is to provide offsetting pressure when the coin is struck.

2) blanks are plated after they are punched out, so there would be no zinc exposed.

3) where the rim meets the missing section is all wrong.

4) you can see the serrations from the blade/tool.

5) I don't like the shape of it. A straight clip should probably not have the slight inward curve. The pressure of striking and pushing metal outward should cause a very slight outward curve if anything.

• Thank you for your comments. Very educational for me. One more question though. If this coin had the signs of mint error, given the quality of the coin would this be of any worthwhile value? Or just a novelty? Thank you once again for your timely replies.

@randalegibbons said:
    Thank you for your comments. Very educational for me. One more question though. If this coin had the signs of mint error, given the quality of the coin would this be of any worthwhile value? Or just a novelty? Thank you once again for your timely replies.

If it was a mint error, it could have some value to a collector of error coins.

• One last item. Curious as to your thoughts on photo quality. I took them with a Motorola motox pure edition.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

A clip coin would not likely have the crimp look as you see on here. PMD is my call. Perhaps it was used in a fuse box at some point.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Damn vandals. Once again, thank you. I really appreciate the education.

edited January 8, 2019 5:41AM

@randalegibbons said:
    One last item. Curious as to your thoughts on photo quality. I took them with a Motorola motox pure edition.

Very good pics, nice and clear, and somewhat zoomable. A suggested improvement is to crop the pics to as close as possible to the circumference of the coin. Any background items can be distracting and become a focal point of discussion versus the coin itself. Example: What meds is that pill bottle for? LOL :)

• I thought about that (the bottle) after I posted the pics. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Will crop to coin edge in the future. As for the bottle, my girlfriend handed it to me and said "try this". I replied, "I'm not taking those"! "It's not for you", "Set the coin on it"

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 7:24AM

No idea on potential value but if it had been real it would definitely have been worth something.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember a tv commercial about super duper scissors that could cut a cent. Hey, there it is! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52