Home U.S. Coin Forum

IHC found at Santa Clara

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
Found this beauty at a dealer who looked like he specialized in silver spoons, political buttons and Christamas 1 oz silver "rounds". What the coin was doing there is a mystery - sure made it easy to spot. I rescued it ASAP...not much else there in the way of beautiful IHC's....fortunately he didn't know how to properly price IHC'simageimageimageimageimage

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    what is that MS66?
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Great score!!! Congratulations are in order! image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Why does it say COPY on the shield?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Did I make you look at least? Very nice coin.... 66RD? Better? I hope the funky look on the rim (reverse 8 & 10 O'Clock) is from your scanning.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Great coin Lakes - most certainly a difficult date to find that anywhere close to that nice. As tough as I can be on these, I find little wrong with that monster. Maybe a very slight contact point on the chin or that could just be a shadow I'm seeing. Is there something happening on the reverse above and to the right of the T in CENTS? Your expert imaging makes it easy to be overcritical. Looks like a super strike and dripping with luster. One fine coin - has that nice fresh golden look, and no hints of any carbon spots. Have to love everything about it.

I also had a great IHC find last week. Found a PCGS 1906 MS66RD in David Lawrence's inventory. A couple of small specksized planchet defects on the obverse and a small toning spot on the reverse ribbon are the only minor problems I could find. It was also mispriced at least as far as I could tell from comparing recent auction prices for the date. Definitely not as nice as yours, though with a 10/1 pop I was elated.

How was the MS65 1888 at Santa Clara? Heritage, for once, had a nice image and it looked better than the 66 that didn't sell.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely!

PS- I hope the dealer you got it from does not frequent these forums... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Nice....spoon!

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eyes, everyone! WOWimage

The 8-O'clock stuff is plastic from the holder. The rev. area near the T in CENT is a minor planchet flaw that shows well due to the reflectivity around it. He did a poor job of shaving - sort of a shallow, linear contact mark on the chin....only a few, widely scattered tiny spots. Over all a pleasing coin, PCGS 66R.

No, I don't think the dealer even knows what a computer is - hopefully there isn't a paper version of the forum!

Toothpuller - any chance of posting a pic of the 1906?? That is a tough one..wold love to see it!!

If anyone is interested, I listed the former hole filler, another nice 1900MS66R, on ebay tonight. If it doesn't sell this week, the price will drop the following week.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    That's a sensational 1900, I'm almost afraid to ask how cheaply you got it. I guess the moral of the story is it's worth the time to scour every table at a coin show. Had this been in another dealer's showcase it probably would have been long gone, maybe sitting in Rick Snow's inventory before the show even started. I know you were disappointed with the auction previews but this beauty alone was worth the trip.

Toothpuller -- I also noticed the 1888 65RD appeared to have a cleaner look than the 66RD. I believe both were offered on Ebay a couple of months ago by the same seller ("wabdbe"). Before that the 66 was in the Kamauff registry collection that sold in Superior's June Long Beach, and I remember it listed in Legend's inventory a couple of years ago. That crescent shaped spot on the reverse rim is an easy to remember hallmark.

The MS65R 1888 was clearly the better of the 2. It's funny how the same coin appearing over and over can give the impression of a coin being fairly common and readily available - it's not, at least at the 65 and 66R level.
    Here's Toothpuller's recent purchase. Two 06's at this grade level sold for over 4K (apiece) at June Long Beach.

• Thanks for posting the coin Paul. One of these days my daughter will teach me how to do it.

Lakes that coin Christmas tree on eBay is neat. Even called my wife to look at it. Almost as neat as Paul's collages. You call that old 1900 for sale a filler - not!

Yes - it filled the hole quite nicelyimage Didn't mean it negatively - the new coin is a hole filler too. Have several other hole fillers, about 50 or so. The holes are getting fewer every year.

Go ahead and send that 1906 out....you don't really want to keep it, do you??image
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    All I can say as an IHC lover is thanx for saveing that beautiful coin from a silver round collector.
    Congrads it a awsome find

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, I am one of those guys that has to go through every thing every dealer has. Not so much as to find a 66 IHC, but it is always an educational experience. Usually at the major shows they get impatient with me. image
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations,

Looks like a real prize - nice work!image
  • Thanks guys!
  • Hey Lakes,

David Hall has an 1893 MS66 in his inventory at $3250. Don't know if you need to fill that hole or notimage.
    Its a little woodgrainy [maybe learning RB, they call it golden-red], but otherwise its spotless and looks pretty decent. pop 19/0
    I thought about it but there is a 5% chance I will like it in person based on the picture - little chance of reward for the trouble involved. I think others would agree, o/w it wouldn't still be available. Plus, there is the nagging question of a high grade PCGS coin at this site.....
    Love the 1897 PR68CAM on his site, but this coin looks all too familier.
  • Lakes,

Thought I'd call you attention to the 93, in case you missed it, but figured you would not like it. I actually like my own 1893 65RD better. image I have no problem whatsoever buying from David Hall. His coins are generally PQ [what an overused term], though priced on the high side. If I recall correctly Paul bought something relatively recently from DHRC that he was very happy with.
    Toothpuller:

I greatly appreciate the heads up....but, the coin isn't for me. Future tips would be appreciated, though...

Shylock - great eyes - looks the same, eh?? I wonder if it was ever owned by a Las Vegas coin dealer????image
    Toothpuller -- I bought a 94 66RD from David Hall that glows in the dark. A bright orange monster I was absolutely delighted over.

Lakesammmon -- Funny thing is I very recently posted here that I've been keeping my eye out for that coin but it never resurfaced. Hopefully Mr. Hall will read this post and decide for himself. I'm curious if it has mellowed a bit since it was last listed -- it appears to have but that could just be the imaging. I should also say it's certainly possible this coin was imaged very dark by Heritage in the first place and it was incredibly undergraded. But another scenerio, like a Las Vegas pit stop, seems more likely.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

If the coin is "mellowing," then that coin is a great lesson of the pitfalls of AT, or in this case, removal of legitimate toning. As I recall thinking while reading your thread about whether coin doctors were now able to convert a RB coin to a RD coin (the thread from about a year or so ago) I thought the major drawback to this process was the chance that the coin would darken rather quickly. After all, if a coin doctor can permanently remove the brown from a RB coin, there doesn't seem to me as much harm as when the brown removal is only temporary.

Of course, as you correctly mention, it's very hard to determine what is truly going on with that coin because the pictures are from three different sources. But that poor IH might be a classic example of better living through chemistry.

Mark
    Mark

• David Hall says he will buy back a bad PCGS coin, but I don't think that's how he intended to go about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file