Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof or business strike shield nickel?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a dealer earlier who was upset that this nickel came back as a proof not a business strike which is worth more money. Should he do a re-submission?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The broken S matches several images for proofs on coin facts.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

The doubled date matches some of the proof coins and none of the ms coins in coinfacts.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough luck for the dealer, but it looks Proof to me, with that razor sharp strike.....I think the 79, 80, and 81 are all worth more as bs coins, and there always seems to be controversy which are which.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A proof and thereby a coin struck as part of the business of the mint.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin. Would look great in my Dansco. Thanks for the chance ;)

Since I do not collect as investment, I would have a very hard time being disappointed with that coin.

imageimage

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2019 6:35PM

I'll probably have to call and level with the NY dealer that the jury is no longer out on that coin. Back to the drawing board, maybe he should do better research next time.

howards for sure, and I think also 291fifth both have experience with shield nickels, hoping they chime in.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks proof like to me with those very strong details. What did the third side look like?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks proof, but I like it anyway !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

certainly looks proof to me

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I'll probably have to call and level with the NY dealer that the jury is no longer out on that coin. Back to the drawing board, maybe he should do better research next time.

Hope springs eternal on those dates of Shield nickels. My own opinion is that collectors should not pay premiums for "mint state" examples of those dates since the difference between proofs and business strikes is so poorly defined.

All glory is fleeting.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I let the dealer know, not sure what he paid, but probably a lot more than he wants to admit. He appreciated the info._

edited January 12, 2019 10:47AM

Hope springs eternal on those dates of Shield nickels.
    I found a BS 1880 shield nickel in the wild at a FL show a few years back. The dealer graded it VF and wanted full GS Bid for the coin. I went and asked my dealer friend and he said don't walk, run back and buy it. Went back to table, he was telling some long story to someone else while I waited patiently. Then it was my turn, I said I'd take that nickel. He said two other dealers had tried to buy it from him as a Fine, but he was convinced it was VF. Since I didn't argue about the grade, and was patient, he knocked $100 off the price w/o my even asking.

I posted it on here, consensus was business strike, I took it to FUN and offered it to a well known forum member dealer. As records were few and far between, I just made up a number > 2x what I had paid, expecting him to counter, but he started writing the check immediately.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Proof to me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file