Home Sports Talk

NFL Ratings up in 2018

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

+5 TV
+86 streaming where the action is

Why? Easy. There were a lot of great games in key slots this year.

Can’t wait for the playoffs

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

The forced display of patriotism advocates are going to have to come up with some spin.

Robb

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love NFL Playoffs! Going to be fun to watch 👍

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a well known mathematical formula:

less kneelers = higher ratings

edited January 3, 2019 4:36AM

@stevek said:

Like I said before nobody that wants to relax and watch a game should be subjected to that crap

edited January 3, 2019 4:35AM

@stevek said:

And I think most everyone out there, including the NFL players, finally realized that Colin Kaepernick is nothing more than a pure fraud.

Exactly

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 12:49PM

@fergie23 said:
    The forced display of patriotism advocates are going to have to come up with some spin.

Robb

Just sit back and watch. It’s remarkable really

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Like I said before nobody that wants to relax and watch a game shouldn’t be subjected to that crap

You are exactly right.

And I think most everyone out there, including the NFL players, finally realized that Colin Kaepernick is nothing more than a pure fraud.

Totally agree! Plus he a POS player!

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

No spin here Mark. I still watch and always will. I don't think I saw any kneelers this year. ;)

edited January 3, 2019 2:21PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

No spin here Mark. I still watch and always will. I don't think I saw any kneelers this year. ;)

They decided not to show the National Anthem before telecasts in 2018 so seeing them from your Lazy Boy in So. Illinois would have been impossible. I didn’t see any last year either so I guess we are even.

m

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kneelers were the last straw. Whatever I watched was while visiting an elderly neighbor who is a Green Bay fan. maybe 30 minutes over the length of the season.

Problem now is the other straws. I get why they need replay, but it kills the flow of the game. I get why defenses have been constrained, but it kills the essence of the game. Don't get why each touchdown results in a choreographed dance performance. Any decent coach could eliminate that in an instant.

For those that still enjoy the 2018 variety of pro football, bless you. I wish I did.

College game was decent this season but only one game remains. Hope it is competitive.

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

Come on now Mark, don't play coy. You knew what some of the replies would be when you started this thread, and so you got it.

Happy to oblige. ;)

@Coinstartled said:
    Kneelers were the last straw. Whatever I watched was while visiting an elderly neighbor who is a Green Bay fan. maybe 30 minutes over the length of the season.

Problem now is the other straws. I get why they need replay, but it kills the flow of the game. I get why defenses have been constrained, but it kills the essence of the game. Don't get why each touchdown results in a choreographed dance performance. Any decent coach could eliminate that in an instant.

For those that still enjoy the 2018 variety of pro football, bless you. I wish I did.

College game was decent this season but only one game remains. Hope it is competitive.

I agree with everything stated here.....especially the "little play" that is put on for TD's on a lot of teams. SICKENING!!!!

edited January 3, 2019 4:28PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

Come on now Mark, don't play coy. You knew what some of the replies would be when you started this thread, and so you got it.

Happy to oblige. ;)

Wrong again. It was actually meant for garnettstyle who predicts the death of the NFL at every turn.

The NFL is still the runaway American sport by a healthy margin.

The fact that you politicized this thread is not my concern but it makes me laugh.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

Happy to oblige. ;)

Wrong again. It was actually meant for garnettstyle who predicts the death of the NFL at every turn.

The fact that you politicized this thread is not my concern but it makes me laugh.

mark

Glad you got a laugh. I'm happy for ya. And we completely understand. You're feeling giddy now that Nancy is back.

Be careful what ya wish for. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

I agree with everything stated here.....especially the "little play" that is put on for TD's on a lot of teams. SICKENING!!!!

I'm not sure who first said it, might have been Landry, "Act as if you've been there before."

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

I'm not sure who first said it, might have been Landry, "Act as if you've been there before."

Really happy with Travis Kelce this year. He started acting like he's been there before.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

Happy to oblige. ;)

mark

Glad you got a laugh. I'm happy for ya. And we completely understand. You're feeling giddy now that Nancy is back.

I can’t stand Pelosi.

m

@Darin said:

@Coinstartled said:

There sure was a lot that happened during your 30 minutes of NFL viewing this year.

Ok that was good work

m

Most of the “ Choreographed” celebrations are awesome. It was smart of the NFL to allow it. I hated when the NFL was that “No Fun League” and bandished celebrations. The current celebrations appeal to the young or young at heart. That’s where the NFL’s bread is buttered.

If it pisses off old man thinking it’s got to be great for the game

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

m

Happy to oblige. ;)

mark

I can’t stand Pelosi.

m

You were expecting Kraljevich??

Well if the "choreographed celebrations" take their minds off kneeling, then at least that's better.

Frankly, in my opinion they are making fools out of themselves. It's like children entertaining their family with silly skits, that are interesting only because children are doing it. Adults doing it in this venue could be considered a bit disturbing and at best quite immature.

The game of football is entertaining enough as it is...it doesn't need comic relief. Save that for professional wrestling or Saturday Night Live where comedy is expected.

The celebrations are often very creative and very entertaining. If I can get my football fix and a little levity in one place life is great.

m

edited January 3, 2019 8:03PM

@stevek said:
    Well if the "choreographed celebrations" take their minds off kneeling, then at least that's better.

Frankly, in my opinion they are making fools out of themselves. It's like children entertaining their family with silly skits, that are interesting only because children are doing it. Adults doing it in this venue could be considered a bit disturbing and at best quite immature.

The game of football is entertaining enough as it is...it doesn't need comic relief. Save that for professional wrestling or Saturday Night Live where comedy is expected.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Frankly it would be great if they banned celebrating and allowed taunting. Good grief you can't talk smack to a grown man, but you can terrorize a little league batter at the plate with all kind "hey batter batter". Something is bassactwards!!!!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    BLAH blahblahblah blah

Saturday Night Live .

If you have hulu they are showing SNL now. We can all agree it sucks big time now . However Hulu has season 1 forward. I started watching the other day I miss Belushi and Akroyd heck I even miss chevy chase.

I'm going to binge until I get to the first suck era then skip ahead

@Justacommeman said:
    The celebrations are often very creative and very entertaining. If I can get my football fix and a little levity in one place life is great.

m

You and Stevek and Dimeman are all correct. One man's schtick is another man's folly. Some like the Beatles others like Kanye or a whole bunch of other performers between the two,

If I were married to a team as the other gentleman are, it would be much more difficult to tune out the action no matter how edgy the shenanigans and discourse became.

Attracting a guy in his 20's takes a lot more flash than retaining a 60 year old. His page refreshes 30 times a second and 200 minutes of football is forever.

It was a great game.

edited January 3, 2019 8:46PM

Dimeman and like minded friends watching football back in the day . Good times

m

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Frankly it would be great if they banned celebrating and allowed taunting. Good grief you can't talk smack to a grown man, but you can terrorize a little league batter at the plate with all kind "hey batter batter". Something is bassactwards!!!!

Let me get this straight. You want to outlaw celebrating and allow taunting? That’s messed up. No wonder we don’t see eye to eye. Yikes.

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Let me get this straight. You want to outlaw celebrating and allow taunting? That’s messed up. No wonder we don’t see eye to eye. Yikes.

m

So what exactly is the harm in taunting! REALLY!! These STUPID "skits" put on after a TD …...ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!

And besides its delays the game. Just go back to the huddle and act like you have been there before!

How can ANYONE actually enjoy these STUPID displays of ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

+1

Lot of cranky get off my lawn guys here so not surprised by the comments.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

m

So what exactly is the harm in taunting! REALLY!!

If you you actually have to ask I can’t help you. Not sure anyone can

m

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

+1

Lot of cranky get off my lawn guys here so not surprised by the comments.

Easy for you to say where in New York City there are no lawns. :D

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

m

So what exactly is the harm in taunting! REALLY!!

If you you actually have to ask I can’t help you. Not sure anyone can

m

Really! Why is it the ONLY pro sport that DOESN'T allow it.

Yea, I guess some find this entertaining 🙄

https://youtu.be/3XM1Y0MrFOk

That makes me wanna PUKE!!!

Some are entertaining not all.Obviously

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Why even allow it? It's not part of the game! And why no reply on why the NFL is the only pro sport that doesn't allow taunting??

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Why even allow it? It's not part of the game! And why no reply on why the NFL is the only pro sport that doesn't allow taunting??

Because it’s not true. The NBA for example has technical foul guidelines for taunting. You don’t watch hockey so you don’t know.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Because it’s not true. The NBA for example has technical foul guidelines for taunting. You don’t watch hockey so you don’t know.

mark

Mark, they talk trash all the time in Basketball. They taunt all the time in Baseball.

You're right about Hockey. I don't know for sure because I don't watch it......my guess is they talk smack.

Come on Mark.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

mark

Mark, they talk trash all the time in Basketball. They taunt all the time in Baseball.

You're right about Hockey. I don't know for sure because I don't watch it......my guess is they talk smack.

Come on Mark.

You can talk smack in football as well but you can’t taunt so I have no idea what you are talking about. If you taunt in basketball you get a technical foul. If you taunt in football you get a 15 yard penalty.

m

I remember the good old days when men were men, and fans didn't need silly or vulgar player skits to be entertained after a touchdown.....

.....gazing at and ogling the cheerleaders was good enough. ;)

Forum is way better with Justacommem active.

Sort of like a cup of java mocha prune juice in the morning.

I just got to reading this and one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time is Jon saying that “taunting” should be allowed Honestly it just made my morning, good stuff 😂😂😂

@perkdog said:
    I just got to reading this and one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time is Jon saying that “taunting” should be allowed Honestly it just made my morning, good stuff 😂😂😂

I just don't see the problem with a receiver getting up after a catch and handing the ball to the DB. Or standing over a guy after a tackle. Yet the whole team can come out after a TD and put on a musical skit! Oh well..... kay sara sara. B) I'm just glad the Cowboys don't do the skit thing on TD's. I actually wish Zeke would stop doing the hand twirl thing when he gets a 1st down. Come Zeke we know it....we can see the yellow line you just crossed.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Really happy with Travis Kelce this year. He started acting like he's been there before.

Tell that to McDonalds.

@stevek said:

SNL hasn't been funny for at least a decade and a half.

Eddie Murphy was funny. When was that?

edited January 4, 2019 11:20AM

@DIMEMAN said:
    kay sara sara

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this was supposed to be 'Que Será Será'?

@Coinstartled said:
    Eddie Murphy was funny. When was that?

Three decades ago