Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Submitting Crossovers - Listing the grade

In your opinions.
Is it better to submit it as "Current" (grade listed on holder) or "Any" grade (01-70). Submitting "Any" may come back to me a grade or two higher or lower. First time trying to submit crossovers.

Also, I'm building a Wheaties set and a lot of these are not so expensive. So the cost associated with the crossover could push me over what that coin may be worth. Because I would have to add all of the expenses on to "My Price" when I add it to my set.

Please, some opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome and good luck with the set. I too am a "Wheaties" collector. The answer is it depends on how badly you want the coin in a PCGS holder. For the most part, it is hard to cross wheats at same grade, especially pre-1934 wheats. I assume you are crossing from NGC, but the market typically trades NGC wheats at the equivalent of 1 point less than PCGS if you look at price history. Long winded answer, but my suggestion would be to cross at "any" and be prepared for some "downgrades".

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your response. I have two I want to cross and they are both NGC. One is a 1935-D MS66RD and the other is a 1937-S MS66RD. I guess if I go "Any" and they come back MS65's (hopefully not) then I am going to have to bite the bullet and put them in my set and move on for now and chalk it up as a learning experience.

The PCGS holder is something I need for the PCGS Set Registry. Which I believe now being a beginner that the PCGS is the top coin grading service out there. If I complete a set with a mixture of PCGS and NGC does it subtract from the value?

I haven't got that far as to researching the auction houses yet went it may come time to sell.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I know specifically the coins in question, and given they are $30-40 coins, the cost/benefit to cross would not be worth it due to fees and postage. You might as well find examples already in PCGS holders and sell the other ones. JMHO.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you already have had your questions answered thoroughly with respect to the specific coins, so I will add something regarding the "Any" option. Obviously, "Any" allows PCGS the leeway to give a higher or lower grade, but you may also earn a higher grade through crossover if you specify to cross at grade, as well.

I hope that was clear. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Thank you Gentlemen. The answers are clear and understood. Sounds like the best bet is to sell them and hopefully break even. Lesson learned and thankfully not a costly one. I'm sure I will have more questions until I get well into my building my first set but...Damn this is fun!!
    Thanks

DiggerJim

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to touch on your question of value/price; there will be many here that will tell you PCGS coins always sell for more than coins in other holders. And in the past that has been very often true, but never ever has it always been 100% true, a quick review of closed auction results will show that recently the gap between PCGS and NGC coins has been shrinking and at times NGC coins have sold for more. Quality will almost always be rewarded regardless of the holder, the hype, and the marketing. Each TPG has their own standards for grading and each differs slightly so crossing can indeed be a coin flip as to grades going down or up. Also nobody has a crystal ball good enough to say what brand of holder will bring the most money at some time in the future when you decide to sell; nobody including myself.

As you have made the decision to participate in the registry here at PCGS I 100% agree that you should only buy coins in PCGS holders, it will save you time and money in the long run. Perhaps in the future once you have trained you eye to what PCGS likes at the grades you decide to collect then you can branch out and attempt some crossovers. As a Lincoln collector myself I suggest you take a look at Angel Dee's website, Andy has a great eye and always has some fantastic Lincolns and almost always in PCGS holders.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

There area lot of already lower graded cents in PCGS holders. If your patience allows, you can find the usually for less than submitting your own coins for grading. the Cheap Slabs web store is a good place to start. Good Luck and have fun.

WS
    http://cheapslabs.com/cart/index.php?pg=2&l=product_list&c=3

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Thanks for your response. I have two I want to cross and they are both NGC. One is a 1935-D MS66RD and the other is a 1937-S MS66RD. I guess if I go "Any" and they come back MS65's (hopefully not) then I am going to have to bite the bullet and put them in my set and move on for now and chalk it up as a learning experience.

The PCGS holder is something I need for the PCGS Set Registry. Which I believe now being a beginner that the PCGS is the top coin grading service out there. If I complete a set with a mixture of PCGS and NGC does it subtract from the value?

I haven't got that far as to researching the auction houses yet went it may come time to sell.

DiggerJim

Completing a set in both TPGs does not subtract from the value per se. The PCGS/NGC registries only accept their own graded items for entry. There is no value involved for a coin you intend to keep, only for when it comes time to sell. Those two coins in those grades, even if dropping a grade would not be awful financially. I would NOT cross either of those and either make a custom set which can include both NGC or PCGS or just buy the coin in the holder you are looking for because the crossing is the whole value of the coins

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

Again Thank You Gentlemen. The information is welcomed and appreciated as well as the websites. Being this is my first ever set and I started it with PCGS I will stay the course and work out all the bugs in my mind as I go for now. My time is limited for now so it will be spent learning the in's and out's of building this set before I tackle another one.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions coming
    Thanks
    DiggerJim

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 10:32PM

Unless your goal is to compete for a top spot, I wouldn’t limit yourself to one service. There are great coins in all holders and I think both registries have done customers a disservice by excluding each other. Think about why you want a registry set as distinct from just a complete set. Some people really like having all of the holders be the same. Some don’t trust the other service and some are thinking what’s best for resale.

If the coins you are seeking are fairly common then it won’t hurt to buy PCGS only because they should be readily available in either holder. However, if you happen to love an NGC coin (if you even look at them) then you’ll just have to eat the cost and risk of crossing it.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, you could just buy what you feel is the most attractive and well-struck coin, regardless of whose logo is on it.

thefinn

Well if I, my kids or grandkids can sell a completed set with coins from both grading companies at a premium price then I don't see why I should just pursue just grading company. I thought it would be good to have them from one company and that would fetch the better price and I thought that company was PCGS. if NGC is catching up then I need to stop and do some research of sold completed sets before I continue too much further.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends. For many coins an ANACS or NGC certified coin is worth much more than a PCGS coin graded two points lower with exceptions (at the very tip top and maybe limited top pops). I usually set it at the holder grade minus 1 for old ANACS or NGC.