Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2 euro coin Sachsen 2016 error

Look what I found? What do u think? Is this an error?

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be an error but do people who collect Euro coins actually care? It almost looks like the center section of the coin fell out and was hammered back into place.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This piece has had a lot of wear in only two years and this excessive wear would impact the collectibility/desirability.

There may be some actual error AND some post Mint damage here. Too bad it wasn't noted when the coin was new.

I would return it to circulation, myself. But I haven't been on the continent since 2007.

• How can I examine if it is indeed an error?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be an error but also maybe counterfeit? How does the edge lettering look?

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

I think it may be a counterfeit. It looks like some attempt to cast a bimetallic coin. From the photos, the edge looks like plain reeding. A pic of the edge detail would help with authentication.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • This is the edge

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 3:58PM

German 2 euro coins are supposed to have on the edge: EINIGKEIT UND RECHT UND FREIHEIT

Unless it is there and you did not show us, the edge design is all wrong on that coin. It is counterfeit.

A great find, in my opinion. I have a suspected fake 2 euro coin or two in my collection, and I would love to have more. They are not worth a ton of money but they are worth more than 2 euros.

• The edge design is exactly what you see. There is not the lettering that german coins are supposed to have. Indeed that is making this 2 euro coin special. I agree with you :)