Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1996 2 DOLLARS Canadien Something real bad happen , is it Mint defect.

Gee, I can wait to fall on a real mint defect. So far everything Ive post where garbage,., Can

this be it????
![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uplo
ads/editor/ry/mlgdia3j2cij.jpg "")

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

That's all manually done. PMD

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the $2 coins first started circulating, I got one, froze it and popped the centre of it out and put it back in upside down. I spent it later and have wondered whether someone thought it was an error with the polar bear on the QEII side of the coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody scratched it with a sharp object. It did not leave the mint that way.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • sylsyl Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

acadien .... You need to search some of the coin sites for information on how the minting process actually works and what is really an "error". Any time that you see a line going through both the field AND the design, it is almost always PMD .... unless it is a strike-through where some foreign material is on either the die or the planchet. Pay attention to whether the mark is either incuse (recessed) or in relief (raised). I suggest Herbert's book(s) on errors.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like someone doesn't like the queen. It is strictly post-mint damage (PMD).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

X marks the spot of pmd. Big time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Damage on purpose, but not quite as bad as the one I found in the street in downtown Seattle. I spent it on my last visit to BC.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your goal is to find a mint defect in the wild, then you should learn what the common mint defects are. Right now you are just guessing, and you are guessing wrong.

• acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice. I am new at this b ut I am getting the picture now. All of you are great help and I will do my homework from now on. But I will still ask you some help if am not certain. Thank to all.