Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mexico 20 Centavos

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2018 10:00AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Mexico 20 Centavos with the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacán in front of the volcanos Iztaccíhuatl and Popocatépetl is one of my favorite coins.

This was the world coin of my youth that I enjoyed the most, a circulated EF. Recently, I picked up this PCGS MS65RD along with another red coin from a B&M's junk box. This is just a very fun piece for me.

Post any Mexico 20 Centavos you have :)

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins @Abuelo! It’s great to see this type in so many conditions. I love the 1944!

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 5:54PM

Thanks @Zoins I really like these coins. They are not expensive but many are very hard to find in high grades.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, very nice indeed! Even the circulated examples are very nice and remind me in a way of the Italian 20 centesimi of the teens and twenties...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I like the whole series from the 50s...5 thru 50 centavos

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Favorites of Mexico, I do have a circulated set somewhere

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call it an AU Brown

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 9:03AM

Great coin and topic! Quick iPhone 6 photos.

I have always been attracted to this design as well. The layout is amazing! The perspective really makes you feel like your standing there looking up and out at the pyramid. When you can find these in MS they really can be attractive in mid tones of RB. This example set me back the cost of a latte so why not get them when you can.

You said post your 20 Centavos! I have a whole run of these I bought raw years ago from a local dealers foreign 2x2 flip album he had behind his desk. There was a 5, two 10s and this 20 that all graded 64 BN. I just love copper with this look and the eagle and snake a have such a wholesome, luscious appearance. This is easily my favorite eagle and snake depiction. Looks even better on the gold 50 Peso, but I'll always reserve a huge part of my heart for the look of RB copper with luster.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the pyramid design! I have a raw, but brilliant red one... Indeed a terrific type!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been going through some boxes this week and I came across another 20 centavos I had in a box of graded Mexican coins.

Looks like I picked this up through Heritage when I was in the habit of buying here.

I like the full gasket PCGS slab and if I remember right, PCGS wasn’t in the foreign market super huge yet. I wonder who had this graded? Anyway, I’ve been into this type a while it seems and can’t resist this look of RB on copper.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slightly different, but still Mexican, bronze, and 20 cents B)