Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

- I already bought, comment in others conversations

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2019 8:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The one escudo Au 58

The two escudos Au 50

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there are quite different given the denomination. While I am not a fan of Charles IV, if I were "forced" I would get the one escudo. But personally would look for a different example of both. Just me.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert, but judging by the photos, the one escudo is the prettier coin, especially its fields.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the one escudo is nicer overall, but I am not a fan of Charles IV either. Historically, he was a fool's fool.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 no wonder the Spanish empire broke apart. Charles IV dose look cool on a coin 👍 Thanks for for the bit of history about Charles IV 😄

I found this coin too 😄

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. Witch 2 is better.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would continue looking for a nicer one like #1 without so much red. Not scarce coins.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @Abuelo and @HoledandCreative said - I would spend a bit more time looking for a better example.

@TwoKopeiki yup I am looking, at the top of my list though is the Au 58 👍

Hear is another Photo

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to choose between only these two coins independent of price, the top one. Not even a difficult choice.

I do realy like the Au 58 because it is a nice coin that fits in my budget and is being sold for around what the same coin when for at auction in a lower grade 👍.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eeny meeny miney moe, I like the one escudo. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy the 1 Escudo, mostly so I could tell anyone who asked that the stains are pirate blood.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka that pirate must have guarded his pirate booty with his life 😂

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

The inscriptions are slightly sharper in the AU 58 example, but it has got a slight toning. Considering the coin’s condition, I would go for AU 58. It all depends whether you are fine with the toning....

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

The "bargain" price on the AU58 could be reflective of the negative eye appeal issues others have mentioned. It's definitely the nicer of the two coins posted, but if I couldn't pay full fare for a 58 that was "all there", I would wait for a slightly lower grade piece that was attractive for the grade.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21

@Titus I totally agree, the cool thing about the Au 58 is that it is being sold to me for 7 more than what the coin when for at auction in
    Au 50

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 escudo is better if you're planning on traveling back in time.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

@smEagle I guess I will ask the doctor in _Back to the Future _ how to convert a Delorion into a time machine. 👍

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Without reading the comments and not knowing the rarity of either coins, then my suggestion is wait for a better example of each one of them. I think that both are problem coins which could be a problem later on when you want to liquidate.