Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My Numismatic Year....

I really shifted gears this year. Specifically, before this year I would have considered myself a US coin collector - with interest in early silver commems, bust halves, and 1936-42 proof sets. (I did pick up some of each of these during this year, too.) But, the focus of my collecting interest has really shifted more toward older European coins. This happened for a variety of reasons - but mostly because I felt I could not afford really nice examples of coins I did like on the US/lite side; a realization that most of them were not all that rare; and finally that there were just so many interesting world coins that I wanted to pursue.

This change in direction would not have happened without the World and Ancient Coin Forum - what an amazing resource! Additionally, several members have been incredibly willing to share their opinions or knowledge with me - thank you!

I have just brief descriptions below, but may update when I have time. So without further ado, in chronological order. (Many of these pictures complements of Kevin Vinton @indeetlib .)

January 1643 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttal Glockentaler PCGS AU-53, via EBAY Auction

February 1953 Restrike of 1486 Guldin PCGS 67, via EBAY auction (got a second chance offer - a nice surprise!)

And, 1614 Teutonic Order 1/2 Taler PCGS AU-50, via ATLAS NUMISMATICS @Atlascoin . A great transaction - hope I can buy more from them in the future.

March 1701 Austrian Joseph I Taler, raw, via Kuenker Auction. My first foray into international auctions!

April 1595 Saxony "Three Brothers" Taler NGC AU55, via Heritage Auctions.

May 1604 Austrian Rudolf II Taler, raw, SINCONA auction.

June 1643 Brunswick Half Taler PCGS 55, via EBAY. A companion piece to my January pickup.

July 1875 2 Mariengroschen PCGS MS 62, via CRO/Ebay

September 1605 Saxony Taler, raw, via Leipzinger Munzhandlen. Need to get some better photos of this one.

October 1597 3 Polish Groschen PCGS MS 63, via EBAY. Fun little coin.

November 1511 Salzburg Batzen, raw, via WAG auction. I need better photos of this coin - it has thick colorful patina. My oldest dated coin, so far.

And, my first fail. 1628 Salzburg 1/2 Taler, raw, auction purchase. Clearly cleaned when it arrived. Oh well, can't win them all, I guess.

I'm also picking up certified Semeuse coins here and there - only a couple this year like the one below. This originated from seeing the beautiful coins @brg5658 was posting.

December 1662 Brunswick Taler, raw, via Kuenker auctions. Still waiting for this to arrive! It's been in and out of customs for a few days - hopefully before new years. I am keeping my fingers crossed about this one.

Lessons learned:
1) This was a great year! I have really enjoyed the hunt for some of these coins. I am looking forward to getting better pictures of these coins, and in some cases will proceed with slabbing.
2) Need to maintain patience and want to focus on "wow" coins. Still have some ways to go on this. In short, need to slow down, probably would aim to buy half as many coins in 2019.
3) Need to build some relationships so I can get someone to eyeball lots for me. Any suggestions with this, I would appreciate it. I've also found (or gotten lucky with) some great auction houses. I've also found a few that it is doubtful I'd ever do business with again.
4) I've purchased a few books which have made the hobby more enjoyable, too.
5) My wife is right - I do spend too much time and money on coins! Oh well.

Sorry for the long post. Any comments welcome

My current "Box of 20"

Comments