Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I bought two ancients (Calabria) with designs that seem nearly mirror images of one another

I bought them months apart, mostly because I really liked the design (each time I bought them), but I didn't remember I had the first when I bought the second.

Why would they make similar designs with the elements reversed?

Oh, and this one is just cool looking.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be a party pooper but me thinks they're not coins. I could be wrong. Waiting to hear from others.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC thought they were Didrachms, dated to about 280 BC.

The one with the upsidedown heads is dated to sometime in the 400s BC. Again, according to NGC also a didrachm.

I really like the dolphin design, but I don't know what porpoise it served!

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is a drachm, 4th Century BCE, from Istrus, in Moesia. 5.46 grams of silver.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018 12:50PM

There's a sizable variety in these types: they were minted over the course of many years. Most do follow the same general theme but the artists of the day had a fair amount of leeway in their execution and interpretation of the standard design types.

All three are absolutely genuine. Happy holidays!

And, here's my example of the Tarentum type (which I've consigned to be sold as I'm working on an upgrade):

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2018 3:20PM

Interesting, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    There's a sizable variety in these types: they were minted over the course of many years. Most do follow the same general theme but the artists of the day had a fair amount of leeway in their execution and interpretation of the standard design types.

And, here's my example of the Tarentum type (which I've consigned to be sold as I'm working on an upgrade):

Wheres it selling?

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 4:57AM

@Zohar said:

You guys make me wanna buy more and more of these! Good grief there are a lot of gorgeous coins here.

Please post more.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@SmEagle1795 said:

Wheres it selling?

It's in the Triton auction (with a pretty awful picture that I'm not terribly happy about, but so it goes...) https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=371176

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calabria, Taras, Didrachm

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    It's in the Triton auction (with a pretty awful picture that I'm not terribly happy about, but so it goes...) https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=371176

Sucks when the auction photos are inferior to your own. Good luck.