Home Sports Talk

Any problem with your college football MVP sitting out the bowl game?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if is a final four appearance?

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course they wouldn't be eligible for the post season bonus. Oh wait, they don't get any bonus.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a fan I would like to see them play. However it is not their responsibility to make the game more enjoyable to me. They have their whole career and life ahead of them. Why lose millions in their final college game? When players get paid to play more players will.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018 6:32AM

I would think it’s foolish for them to suit up and play if he is going to the NFL

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a chance i would play. he needs to think about his future here.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not in the playoff bowl games no issues here. I'd think you'd have to pry these guys off the field if in the playoffs though.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm slave labor I'll stay in bed every chance I get. If I'm making tens of thousands of dollars per game , sign me up for every game I can play

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Nick Bosa quit long before the bowl game. Not even the rival game meant anything to him. That will be another trend I expect will happen more happen. Almost all games are meaningless to some players.. Not just bowl games.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Jake Butt or Willis McGahee.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with it.

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

It disgusts me although I completely understand it. If someone is in that position, they are likely soon to receive a large payday so at a minimum they should have to repay their college scholarship if they decide to sit out for their future. The flipside of that is I believe that students that get injured at any time in their four years and can no longer play, the student should get to receive a four year scholarship regardless. Commitment on both sides.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Repay a scholarship for sitting out one game? How is that even remotely equitable?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 3:10AM

Playing in a meaningless bowl game cost Jaylon Smith at least 20 million dollars in guaranteed NFL money. I actually question the advise kids some of these kids are getting ( or aren’t getting).

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this raises a few interesting questions.

with all the money issues floating around, just what is expected of these young men when they commit to a University?? I know that when i get hired by an employer or sign a contract that i have certain obligations. I can't just refuse to "perform" for any reason, can I?? i would think that a College Athlete who receives the education and commits to play would be required to play.

past that, are we now on a slippery slope where the players make decisions at some point where they decide to stop playing and enter the draft?? that really only applies to a small percentage of the players. things were far from perfect or maybe even equitable in the past but this new era we've entered is a little ridiculous.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is just about to the point that the NFL just develops its own players with a minor league of sorts. I would guesstimate the vast majority of true NFL talent is not going to college for the education anyways. They go to football factories to prepare themselves for the pro game. It would solve these type of problems. the players would get paid and wouldnt have to "play school" to prepare for the NFL. This would just open up the draft for graduating high school seniors.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see a problem at all. It’s such a small percentage. It’s a free country. Players leaving early just opens up a scholarship for someone else. Football programs are cash cows

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@keets said:
    this raises a few interesting questions.

with all the money issues floating around, just what is expected of these young men when they commit to a University?? I know that when i get hired by an employer or sign a contract that i have certain obligations. I can't just refuse to "perform" for any reason, can I?? i would think that a College Athlete who receives the education and commits to play would be required to play.

past that, are we now on a slippery slope where the players make decisions at some point where they decide to stop playing and enter the draft?? that really only applies to a small percentage of the players. things were far from perfect or maybe even equitable in the past but this new era we've entered is a little ridiculous.

Performance can't be compelled. You can't force a player to play. The only option would be to seek compensation for the player not playing. So the school would have to sue and claim they are suffering financial damage from the player not playing. No way a school would EVER do that. "oh, Nick Bosa is worth $20,000,000 when he doesn't play, but you won't pay him a salary?" Yeah, good luck.

In addition, we don't know what all the clauses are in a scholarship agreement. Players might very well have an option to quit the team - that's essentially what they're doing - without any repercussions and, thus, are not violating their "contract".

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

If I were a Michigan fan, I would have little interest in attending the peach bowl. All their star players are sitting out.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED