Home Sports Talk

HOF Quiz

dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a quiz with a twist, and a twist that makes it pretty close to impossible. But I don't care, I created it for my own amusement.

Identify the HOFer and the non-HOFer:

stats are Innings, Wins, Losses, Strikeouts and ERA
Question 1:
Pitcher 1: 3156, 190-174, 1720, 3.92
Pitcher 2: 3186, 209-164, 1728, 3.40

• The non-HOFer got 1.2% in his last HOF vote

Question 2:
Pitcher A: 3638, 217-191, 2832, 3.44
Pitcher B: 3826, 246-206, 2564, 3.90

• The non-HOFer got 5.2% in his last HOF vote

stats are ABs. Hits, HR, RBI, BA, OPS
Question 3:
Hitter A: 8673, 2380, 350, .274, .811
Hitter B: 8300, 2296, 348, .277, .789

• The non-HOFer got 0.6% in his last HOF vote

Have fun!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2018 3:52AM

Beet Blylevin, Ron Santo

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

for question 2 are the pitchers Koosman and Lolich? no clue on the others.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOFers
    Q1 - P2
    Q2 - PB
    Q3 - HA

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chubby Checker did the twist.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing Dallas the answers to question 2 has to be Lolich and Morris. Need to think about the other questions

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see the words "have fun" in a DA thread, I vamoose.

Good to see you posting, Commem. :)

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2018 7:53PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    HOFers
    Q1 - P2
    Q2 - PB
    Q3 - HA

You got 1 out of 3.

And Q2 does have Lolich and Morris, sort of. There's a twist, remember. See, isn't this fun? :p

And just as an aside, is there a Tigers fan who believes Morris belongs in the HOF but Lolich doesn't? I've never heard an argument advanced for Morris that doesn't also apply, but with greater force, to Lolich. I don't think either one of them is even close to HOF level, but Lolich was clearly better.

Question 1. This is a reach but maybe Milt Pappas and Dennis Eckersley ( starts only? )

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Question 1. This is a reach but maybe Milt Pappas and Dennis Eckersley ( starts only? )

m

You're on the right path....

@dallasactuary said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You're on the right path....

I feel like I’m on a bobsled ride to hell

m

edited December 14, 2018 5:28AM

Question 3. Again Im stretching and the numbers probably don’t line up exactly BUT

Tony Perez and Chili Davis. The caveat is that Tony Perez stunk his last five years. He literally padded his stats on a part time basis. Chili Davis last year playing looked a lot like he could be an all-star. Davis had no old man years. He retired on a high note. If you deduct Perez’s last five seasons which he shouldn’t of been playing his NON old man totals were almost identical to that of Chili Davis

m

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

You got 1 out of 3.

Hoping for better results in round 2 ...

Non-HOFers

Pitcher 2 - Pappas
    Pitcher A - Lolich
    Hitter A - Chili Davis

@LarkinCollector said:
    Hoping for better results in round 2 ...

Non-HOFers

Pitcher 2 - Pappas
    Pitcher A - Lolich
    Hitter A - Chili Davis

3 for 3. But that was the easy part (no twist).

Joey Dee?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

OK, since you are all clamoring to know the answers:

Hunter-Pappas
    Lolich-Morris
    Davis-Rice

The "twist" is that the HOF stats are their stats from road games only, normalized to a full career.

That's right, Catfish Hunter's ERA away from his pitcher-friendly home parks was 3.90. There is simply no reasonable argument that he was a better pitcher than Milt Pappas. Or that Jack Morris was a better pitcher than Mickey Lolich; just try to trot out the "but he was great in the WS" argument on Morris' behalf here, I dare you.

And putting it in mathematical terms, Jim Rice = Chili Davis + Fenway Park. If you don't believe it, it is simply because you don't understand it.

Sandy Koufax?

@dallasactuary said:
    OK, since you are all clamoring to know the answers:

Hunter-Pappas
    Lolich-Morris
    Davis-Rice

The "twist" is that the HOF stats are their stats from road games only, normalized to a full career.

That's right, Catfish Hunter's ERA away from his pitcher-friendly home parks was 3.90. There is simply no reasonable argument that he was a better pitcher than Milt Pappas. Or that Jack Morris was a better pitcher than Mickey Lolich; just try to trot out the "but he was great in the WS" argument on Morris' behalf here, I dare you.

And putting it in mathematical terms, Jim Rice = Chili Davis + Fenway Park. If you don't believe it, it is simply because you don't understand it.

If you look at ERA+ Pappas is actually rated higher than the other three pitchers mentioned.

What I remember most about Pappas is that he was the guy traded for Frank Robinson. Never looked at his numbers until now and he was pretty darn good, especially in the three year run before the trade, He seemed a little inconsistent though. I didn't look at his home/away numbers only year to year basic stats. With Robinson being a HOFer, Pappas got regulated to being the butt of a joke about bad trades. Seems rather unfair to me.

Lolich had a nice run and was MVP of the WS the year McLain won 30 games. Otherwise not great.

Hunter had a great run 71-75, both before and after that he was average.

Morris seems to be a pretty average pitcher for a long time with a few very nice years here and there. He did have a good year for the Twins when he pitched here. I will always remember him for a great game 7 (sorry). Longevity seems to have been his best asset along with being able to stay healthy. He is also a jerk. Met him once at a signing, he obviously had no time for me, even though there was no line for his auto. Big surprise there.

Chili Davis was a nice player as well, underrated. Also had a great year in 1991 for my Twins. Rice of course had those big years in Boston and had a higher SLG than Chili.

I can see where you could argue that NONE of these players "deserve" to be in the hall. Your point about players playing well at home is valid, but other than Larry Walker, doesn't seem to be taken into consideration. Some polls suggest Koufax was the greatest pitcher of all time, not so outside of his home field.

Winning MVP's and World Series' does though.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Sandy Koufax?

Koufax was definitely helped by Dodger stadium

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Sandy Koufax?

You could say that:

Dodger Stadium - 57-15, 1.37 ERA
    Everywhere else: 108-72, 3.38 ERA

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Sandy Koufax?

You could say that:

Dodger Stadium - 57-15, 1.37 ERA
    Everywhere else: 108-72, 3.38 ERA

Larry Walker gets ripped for where he played, Koufax considered by some to be a GOAT.

Idiotic!