Home Sports Talk

Three peculiar things in the NFL right now.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) The Dallas Cowboys got shutout, improbable to say the least.
2.) Pittsburgh is dominating the Patriots even though the score is sort of close. This game is weird within weird:
--- the Steelers, at least in the first half, seem like they are passing more than running.
--- the Patriots are running more than I ever remember during the Brady era and Gronk has yet to catch a pass.
--- the least penalized Team in the NFL is getting flagged quite a bit, the most penalized Team hardly at all.
3.) The Cleveland Browns have won six games and are technically in the hunt for the playoffs.

Number one is a done deal, number two most probably will change(it's Brady and the Pat's) and if number three takes place and Cleveland gets into the Playoffs I think I'll faint!!

Al H.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Browns are shaping up to be a good team. They look tough

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking with a friend at work yesterday and we were in agreement that the best thing about this season is that it eases the requirements of the draft. they seem OK at QB, they have a good starter at RB and some young receivers that can play. the GM can focus on the Offensive Line, Defensive Backfield and another RB. I am not one of the voices talking "Browns in playoffs" because the season has been such a success. being on the outside very close will be good for the Team, lots of young, hungry players that will probably work hard in the off-season to improve.

the Steelers played well on defense today, especially in the RedZone. from my perspective, the Patriots have had trouble at exactly the right time. Belichick has two games to regroup and probably the extra first round bye week, they will be dangerous as always in January.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea because the Browns got smart and drafted a quarterback who was the #1 overall pick...instead of listening to some football fans who don't understand how to properly piece together a winning NFL football team using the draft and who emphatically stated that the Browns should have drafted a running back.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Browns finishing strong really bodes well for their chances next year. Will give them a lot of
    confidence knowing they have a core group that can win games consistently.
    Mayfield is doing better than I thought he would in his rookie season. Looks like a good fit with Cleveland.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 5:58PM

@stevek said:
    Yea because the Browns got smart and drafted a quarterback who was the #1 overall pick...instead of listening to some football fans who don't understand how to properly piece together a winning NFL football team using the draft and who emphatically stated that the Browns should have drafted a running back.

It also helps greatly that the Browns already have a bonafide RB in Chubb.

Mayfield was the clear #1 pick. It was after him that it became more of a crapshoot. The next 3 QBs drafted (Darnold, Rosen and Allen) are a combined 11-20 as starting QBs this season and occupy the bottom 3 slots for QB ratings this season, ranked 30th, 31st and 32nd, respectively.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

Mayfield was the clear #1 pick. It was after him that it became more of a crapshoot. The next 3 QBs drafted (Darnold, Rosen and Allen) are a combined 11-20 as starting QBs this season and occupy the bottom 3 slots for QB ratings this season, ranked 30th, 31st and 32nd, respectively.

Perhaps you didn't state this, but I saw a lot of comments out there that all of the April 2018 top draft pick QB's were "interchangeable."

Hey, don't give up on Darnold, and I'm sure you haven't. The kid has talent for sure. I'm not familiar with the Jets coaching staff, but perhaps if they have a competent QB coach, Darnold could be coached up and one day become a top tier NFL QB. I think he's got the potential to do it.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me firmly on the Browns band wagon. They are a very easy team to root for

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Put me firmly on the Browns band wagon. They are a very easy team to root for

m

Agreed, I’m a closet, soon to be out of the closet Browns fan

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

Perhaps you didn't state this, but I saw a lot of comments out there that all of the April 2018 top draft pick QB's were "interchangeable."

Hey, don't give up on Darnold, and I'm sure you haven't. The kid has talent for sure. I'm not familiar with the Jets coaching staff, but perhaps if they have a competent QB coach, Darnold could be coached up and one day become a top tier NFL QB. I think he's got the potential to do it.

I hope you're right. Darnold has flashed signs of great potential despite all the losses. I don't like Bowles as a coach so I do think there is room for development with the right staff and better playmakers around him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Freddie Kitchens has really helped Baker Mayfield. as a former Alabama QB himself it made sense to have him as a QB coach, so I think his short time working with Mayfield formed something that worked, that's why he was moved into the OC role when Cleveland made the change from Jackson/Haley. whatever it is, Baker Mayfield is playing better than with the previous coach.

I think Sam Darnold will be a good long term NFL QB. the Jets need more talent to help him and he needs more time, he seems like an old school QB.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

weirdness = the horrible redskins with a 4th string qb that hasnt thrown a pass in 5 years won today (albeit against the equally inept jaguars) .... are 7-7 (better than a lot of teams) ... and are still in the playoff hunt.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 7:44PM

Prompted a peek. The Pats QB that will be playing until he is 60 isn't having such a great season.

Foles led Philly is leading the 11-2 Rams near the half. Not starting him this season was an epic blunder.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

Those QB's are also on rebuilding football teams. None of them had the high draft picks the Browns have had in the last 5-6 years. If Buffalo is happy with Allen they can now concentrate on drafting young linemen, a #1 WR and a couple of fresh DL.
    Low QB rating isn't always just the QBs fault.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

I think getting Darnold out of there for a few games was one of the smartest things the Jets have done in a long time, that kids confidence was getting destroyed and now after the break he looks like he settled down a bit

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Allen is going to be real good

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

the issue with mayfield is that he has a last name for a firstname. That means his parents are stupid and he may have inherited stupid from them .

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    the issue with mayfield is that he has a last name for a firstname. That means his parents are stupid and he may have inherited stupid from them .

Bronc you are definitely one of my favorite posters! B)

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bronc puts the sparkle in average mundane threads!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add to the title of the thread, one thing that is really peculiar to me is that
    Jacksonville is 4-10. The Chiefs played them early in the season and they were supposed
    to be a very good team this year.
    They can't win a game to save their lives. Can't remember who beat them yesterday but
    I don't think it was a very good team.
    One of the biggest disappointments for the season has to be Jacksonville.

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Bronc you are definitely one of my favorite posters! B)

Whenever reading one of Bronco's posts, you take a walk on the wild side.....

.....and i mean that in a good way. :)

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Prompted a peek. The Pats QB that will be playing until he is 60 isn't having such a great season.

Interesting how stats can be misleading. Brady is averaging the same yards per game as last year when he led the NFL (284 vs 286 last year), a good completion % (66%), a good TD:INT ratio (24:9) and a pretty good rating (97.9) but...yeah, he's not been great this year. He looked terrible against Pittsburgh for sure.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

Interesting how stats can be misleading. Brady is averaging the same yards per game as last year when he led the NFL (284 vs 286 last year), a good completion % (66%), a good TD:INT ratio (24:9) and a pretty good rating (97.9) but...yeah, he's not been great this year. He looked terrible against Pittsburgh for sure.

Whats worse is that Pittsburgh sucked yesterday but the Pats literally ousucked them

@Darin said:
    To add to the title of the thread, one thing that is really peculiar to me is that
    Jacksonville is 4-10. The Chiefs played them early in the season and they were supposed
    to be a very good team this year.
    They can't win a game to save their lives. Can't remember who beat them yesterday but
    I don't think it was a very good team.
    One of the biggest disappointments for the season has to be Jacksonville.

Jalen Ramsey shutting his mouth is the best part