Home Autographs Forum

President Gerald Ford

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up tonight at a 2nd hand shop with two other books ( Mahovlich , Beliveau ) . there were other books but the autographs ripped out. The book was signed by former president Gerald Ford

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks.. getting harder to find signed books.. some are ripping the signed pages out then donating the torn books to the 2nd hand shops

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example of Ford's signature.

thank you very much. I just wish some of the other books at the shop hadn't had their auto's torn out.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as used book stores continue to pay next to nothing for what is offered to them the practice of removing potentially valuable pages with signatures, photogravures, ect. will continue.

All glory is fleeting.

the shop pays the owner nothing at all for the books that they send in. they are donated free to the shop. cept the shop sells the torn books from $3.99 up to $25

@slimies said:
    the shop pays the owner nothing at all for the books that they send in. they are donated free to the shop. cept the shop sells the torn books from $3.99 up to $25

That is even worse than my local used book stores!

All glory is fleeting.

i know.. they started raising the prices high about a month ago. i still manage to find the odd book with the sig left in it.. i have another chat on here with a list of ones ive found

Many used book stores now turn down most of what is offered for sale. Printed books are on the decline (sadly) with the rise of internet available publications. The used book store I frequent probably needs to dump most of what is on the shelves (it has been there for a very long time). This is true in spite of the manager always being selective in his purchases. At the moment he has many, many shelves of leather bound books that just seem to sit and sit.

All glory is fleeting.

i know. four book stores have closed in our city in the last year. we just have indigo now. chapters moved not sure where yet. i prefer books over reading online myself. i buy mostly vintage and or signed books. have bound books back to 1825 and single manuscripts back to 1427