Home Stamps Forum

Is new stamp collecting a safe investment?

I'm asking because my wife has been collecting blocks of new issue stamps for years. I tell her that when the post office goes out of business her stamps are going to loose all their value. I know at least, you will not be able to mail a letter with them. Should I keep my mouth shut? She thinks they are going to be worth something some day. [in her life time]

Comments

• It's a dying hobby, at least in America...

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent stamp issues are NOT an investment. The popularity of stamp collecting has been fading for decades. Contributing factors are lack of interest from young people, too many issues, self-stick stamps that force the buying of sheets rather than single stamps. Don't rely on catalog values as many prices listed are base value service charge amounts for a retail buyer.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virtually al of her stamps are probably worth about 50-60% of face value on eBay.

If she likes to look at them, that is where the "value" is. but they are NOT any kind of investment.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2018 7:00AM

@goldburger said:
    I'm asking because my wife has been collecting blocks of new issue stamps for years. I tell her that when the post office goes out of business her stamps are going to loose all their value. I know at least, you will not be able to mail a letter with them. Should I keep my mouth shut? She thinks they are going to be worth something some day. [in her life time]

The Forever stamps has an immediate monetary value. If you bought the $0.39 Forever stamp and still have them and using them at today’s rate $0.50 then you have net savings of $0.11 each. As for any other value, probably not, as demand is low. Never know in the future, though.

As to your question, “Should I keep my mouth shut?”

Yes.

Christmas is around the corner.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

For fun and also to help her understand the values, she should shop ebay and collect blocks and sheets of older stamps.