Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you hoard coins? What types? Why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I've got a bunch of Franklins and 1932 - 1964 Washingtons, but I'd guess the most I have of any date/mm would be 12 - 15 (some slabbed, some raw) for my birth year of 1958. Most of the date/mm I have 3 or less. Pretty much all the other coins that I've bought I have 1 or 2 per date/mm per series I collect, or 1 slabbed coin per Type.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    I have a thing for Half Eagles

In a word... wow!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I casually hoard 1853 quarters in F, VF. If I haven't found anything else at a show, it's priced right, original, I'll usually buy it.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 8:02PM

@rmorgan said:
    They say coin collecting is about assembling a set of coins (type set, year/mint, theme, error coins, etc.).

In contrast, coin hoarding is about saving every attainable coin (typically of a type that is no longer made or seems scarce) with no plan of assembling it into anything and no concept of a goal or completion.

FWIW, every collection that I have ever atempted has started with a coin or two that I did not need for a collection already in progress. I just bought them because I liked them. And every time those coins turned into the beginning of a set, it was because I happened to stumble on yet another coin of that series that I just happened to like. I guess you could say I collect coins sort of like I'm playing five card stud. I don't enter a hand thinking I want to collect a set of four jacks. It just sort of happens.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    I casually hoard 1853 quarters...

Understandable. I love the arrows & rays 1853. The one I have is my favorite quarter.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 9:13PM

Just remembered ... I have about 60 1899-s Barber Quarters. All are nice, original, raw AG-VG examples. I used to hoard them years ago. I haven’t added to this mini-hoard in 15 years. I can’t remember why I started, or why I stopped. ;)

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Yes, I hoard nicely toned coins. Unfortunately, I will probably take a loss if I ever sell them, as I paid to much for most of them.

CoinBlog.net

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the trash cans, but what’s with the boxes?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 8:53AM

Those are shipping boxes. He was buying everyone's bags of wheat cents, and dumping the coins into trash cans...
    where they belong 😉

Dude also has a huge hoard of double eagles, a large SDB full.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinBlog said:
    Yes, I hoard nicely toned coins. Unfortunately, I will probably take a loss if I ever sell them, as I paid to much for most of them.

Dip them to recover your loss. Wrights tarnish remover works wonders.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 9:18AM

Dang! I knew there was at least someone out there hoarding Barber coins. And here I thought I had a problem hoarding Barber halves. I am not even in the same hoarding universe as you.
    A dealer acquaintance of mine back in OH had a brother who loved B-halves, and had acquired three roll-sets of them over the years, 60 coins of every date and mm. I'm guessing many were just avg circs, but still impressive to do this in the pre-internet days.
    Another dealer friend has a penchant for 1913S dimes, and last time I checked had assembled quite a few rolls of them.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm given to hoarding 1939-D nickels these days. I was in the coin shop a few days ago mainly looking for Buffalo Nickels but came upon a group of 1939-D nickels, four of them priced at $.50 apiece. I couldn't resist. I gave them $10 for the four nickels and a nice 1926-S Lincoln they had priced at $10 by itself.

There is only one "rev. of 1938" in the four nickels i bought which range in grade from VF to EF. I would think '39-D being the key Jefferson Nickle and being in nice collectible grades are worth more like $7 to $8 apiece rather than $.50 apiece?

I value the single "rev. of 1938" a little higher at $11-12 since it is a nice EF.

In any case, i'm a hoarder of 1939-D nickels now. Have 5 total. Highest grade is MS62, making it about a $40 coin since it is a "rev. of 1938" in addition to the EF "rev. of 1938." That one came out of the hoard my brother bought that I assisted him with. The nickel was part of my compensation. I work cheap for some people. It was a lot of fun going through those coins, many of which were in albums that used PVC inserts. The Barber dimes were most affected but dip in acetone and PVC easily removed. One Barber coin was part of my compensation. 1909-D Quarter problem free VF. That's about a $40 coin.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

I understand the trash cans, but what’s with the boxes?

Maybe he recycles cardboard?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

i look at those huge barrels of pennies and think "there's got to be some good ones in there."

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    i look at those huge barrels of pennies and think "there's got to be some good ones in there."

You should see his immense PCGS $20 Saint and $20 liberty hoard.
    I have images somewhere.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 11:35AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Dang! I knew there was at least someone out there hoarding Barber coins. And here I thought I had a problem hoarding Barber halves. I am not even in the same hoarding universe as you.
    A dealer acquaintance of mine back in OH had a brother who loved B-halves, and had acquired three roll-sets of them over the years, 60 coins of every date and mm. I'm guessing many were just avg circs, but still impressive to do this in the pre-internet days.
    Another dealer friend has a penchant for 1913S dimes, and last time I checked had assembled quite a few rolls of them.

yup, that is me!

:)

As far as the '13 S, I only have a 1/2 a roll.

oh, and about 98% of mine are pre-internet.
    Very few bought on eBay

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done....wondered where all the 93S and 97S coins were.....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 10:24AM

Yes - mainly fav types I retail / invest in:

Commems, Walkers, Dollars, USGTC.

Box of 20 PCGS for each category.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes all early federal coinage 1793 to 1814. Love it!

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Well done....wondered where all the 93S and 97S coins were.....

Dimes?
    Quarters?
    or Half $'s?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was buying gem Red 90% copper rolls at face value from a dealer who said he was just going to take them to the bank. Mostly early memorials from the 1960's. Just for fun.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@metalmeister said:
    I was buying gem Red 90% copper rolls at face value from a dealer who said he was just going to take them to the bank. Mostly early memorials from the 1960's. Just for fun.

worth it just for the plastic rolls.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    i'm given to hoarding 1939-D nickels these days. I was in the coin shop a few days ago mainly looking for Buffalo Nickels but came upon a group of 1939-D nickels, four of them priced at $.50 apiece. I couldn't resist. I gave them $10 for the four nickels and a nice 1926-S Lincoln they had priced at $10 by itself.

There is only one "rev. of 1938" in the four nickels i bought which range in grade from VF to EF. I would think '39-D being the key Jefferson Nickle and being in nice collectible grades are worth more like $7 to $8 apiece rather than $.50 apiece?

I value the single "rev. of 1938" a little higher at $11-12 since it is a nice EF.

In any case, i'm a hoarder of 1939-D nickels now. Have 5 total. Highest grade is MS62, making it about a $40 coin since it is a "rev. of 1938" in addition to the EF "rev. of 1938." That one came out of the hoard my brother bought that I assisted him with. The nickel was part of my compensation. I work cheap for some people. It was a lot of fun going through those coins, many of which were in albums that used PVC inserts. The Barber dimes were most affected but dip in acetone and PVC easily removed. One Barber coin was part of my compensation. 1909-D Quarter problem free VF. That's about a $40 coin.

Raw Jefferson nickels are not worth much. Circulated Jefferson nickels are worth even less. An EF45 39D is a coin you’d almost have to give away. If you were a dealer and priced that coin at $11 and put it in your case it would sit there for years if not decades.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1999-2004 i used to buy BU 90% rolls from the 1950s from ebay. Would sort through, keep the best third or half (depending on the starting qualoty) of the coins then sell the rest in ones and two's on Ebay with good pictures, recovering the roll price.

Nice way to secure raw gems at a good net price, but it took a lot of time to list and ship, which i had plenty of then, as was single and on a long vacation from my real job.

No time for that now as a family man with a job and a different side hustle (landlord), the hoard of gem Franklins, Washingtons, and Roosevelts rests in the bank box, half rolls and singles in 2x2s and wayte raymond albums.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Raw Jefferson nickels are not worth much. Circulated Jefferson nickels are worth even less. An EF45 39D is a coin you’d almost have to give away. If you were a dealer and priced that coin at $11 and put it in your case it would sit there for years if not decades.

The '39-D Nickels were essentially given to me.The '26-S Lincoln was priced at $10 by itself and i had no problem giving dealer $10 for just this one coin.

I think i'll try for getting a roll of circ. '39-D nickels, min grade VF. Forty coins at $.50 each, $20.

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:

@mr1874 said:
    i'm given to hoarding 1939-D nickels these days. <<>>

<<>> An EF45 39D is a coin you’d almost have to give away. If you were a dealer and priced that coin at $11 and put it in your case it would sit there for years if not decades.

If @mr1874 hoards enough of them, the prices might go up ;)

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file