Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Needs some advice on selling on eBay

jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2018 11:14PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So I am a disabled Veteran and am unable to work, VA disability doesn't help much during the holidays! So I've decided to sell the 1981 Topps Traded Autograph Set I've been working on to make some extra cash. The link to my cards I am referring to is below, I'm not expecting it to make a ton of money or anything. I just need some advice on the best way to list them on eBay:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/935594/1981-topps-traded-autograph-set-so-far-updated-10-10-2018/p1

All of them at once with a buy it now price or bidding? How much?
Team Sets with a buy it now price or bidding? How much?
Single cards with a buy it now price or bidding? How much?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

John

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

John, I suppose it depends on how quickly you want the money. If you need the money quickly then I would say selling via auction would probably be the way to go. However, my advice would be to sell the cards as BIN/BO. I am generally risk averse and I think you run too great a risk in auction at getting less than what you want out of the set. I feel like unless what you are selling is in great demand it is a very risky proposition to get enough bidders to drive up the price on an auction. I don't know what the market is for 1981 Topps Traded Autos but I have a feeling it is a fairly niche market. For items like that I would try listing via fixed price auction first to see if you get any offers. I would also think team lots or just one large lot would be the most efficient way to sell the cards.

Steve
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would second BIN/BO. this way you can set prices you are comfortable with. I fear you may not realize as much as you are selling out of season. Do you have any football or basketball alternatives?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any cards that stand out due to extreme rarity? Perhaps a guy that didn’t like to sign or died short afrter the cards were produced?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking, breaking up a set gets you more money and faster than waiting for the collector who is looking for the entire set.

I have no idea what the set is worth, but as Dpeck points out there could be some tough to find cards in there. Make sure you do your research and try to identify any rarities and what they have sold for in the past..

If I were selling, I would try to sell the entire set first at a price you think is fair. Don't discount too much from what you want unless you are in a big hurry.There just might be someone out there who wants the entire set, or most of it, and is willing to take it off your hands. You can try selling it here or on ebay.

If that doesn't work, I would list the "easy" to get cards individually in an auction format starting at .99. On the rarities (if there are any) start them out at a minimum bid or reserve. Sometimes these cards can go for real good money, BUT sometimes there aren't a lot of bidders. You can always lower your prices if they don't sell.

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice!

@Dpeck100 said:
    Are there any cards that stand out due to extreme rarity? Perhaps a guy that didn’t like to sign or died short afrter the cards were produced?

I doubt there are any rare autos in the set, from what I recall. Dave Bergman died shortly after he signed my card, and Larry Biittner was one guy that didn’t like to sign period that I got. But there's not a premium for either of those two.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlabonner said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I doubt there are any rare autos in the set, from what I recall. Dave Bergman died shortly after he signed my card, and Larry Biittner was one guy that didn’t like to sign period that I got. But there's not a premium for either of those two.

If there isn't any that really standout in rarity I think I would try and sell it as a complete set. Set a BIN/BO that is realistic to what you think it could sell for and hope someone comes in and takes it or makes a solid offer.

Good luck.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

You may want to try the Buy/Sell/Trade here its FREE and save EBAy Fees.

@giantsfan20 said:
    You may want to try the Buy/Sell/Trade here its FREE and save EBAy Fees.

I never even thought of that, thanks!