Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

$2 Star note value?

burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2018 7:30PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

The recent "2 star" thread had me wondering... any extra value to this note? It seems to be much more common than the ones in that thread, but figured I'd check to see if it's worth much more than $2... Uncirculated and looks just as nice in person. Full disclosure - I (potentially stupidly) listed the note on eBay and it’s gotten little action, so I suspect it’s worth face or a little higher, but figured I’d check with the experts.

[edit to remove eBay link]

Thanks.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely worth more than face.

Gem grade notes and better (in TPG holders) are doing well, but many raw CU notes don’t fare as well. It’s kinda not a low serial number, at least to me.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I’m obviously a currency novice, and didn’t realize that KC notes of this type are particularly rare. I hesitated doing it, but I pulled down the auction while I consider how to proceed...

Jim

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Seems to me that even raw it would be in the range of at least $10 (or higher to the right buyer).

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

1,280,000 printed with a book value of $20 CH/CU. Nice note!

• Options

Thanks for the input guys. I feel like a dolt - I somehow got it into my head that this was a KC note, which is indeed rarer and worth significantly more than face (based on eBay sales, at least). No clue how that happened as the photos are clearly Atlanta, but you can see in my prior post in this thread that I was hot on the KC trail already :s

Appreciate everyone’s input here - hopefully I’ve learned a lesson (maybe I should look at the note before spending a ton of time researching the wrong thing!).

Jim

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

No prob “ burgham”, glad you asked for some help on this note. Teddysmith is correct, I quoted you book value as well. Always good advice here from our forum members.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:
    Thanks for the input guys. I feel like a dolt - I somehow got it into my head that this was a KC note, which is indeed rarer and worth significantly more than face (based on eBay sales, at least). No clue how that happened as the photos are clearly Atlanta, but you can see in my prior post in this thread that I was hot on the KC trail already :s

Appreciate everyone’s input here - hopefully I’ve learned a lesson (maybe I should look at the note before spending a ton of time researching the wrong thing!).

No problem. You aren't the first one to make a mistake here. It was a good question and I learned something (having grown up when these were released, I always assumed that CUs are common and even Star notes were only worth a slight premium).

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Altlanta Star - great serial number too!

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

Nope it is Atlanta and in very nice condition too!