Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hockey HOF Rookies registry composition

miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again. As is the case with most Euro players inducted into the HHOF, the PSA HHOF Rookie set registry composition has made yet another glaring error. For Alexander Yakushev, PSA has included the North American Sportscaster card of his as his "rookie" even though it was issued in 1979. He has many (relatively) mainstream Euro cards issued by major manufacturers in Sweden, Finland and Russia, respectively, produced over a 10 year period predating each of his multiple Sportscaster cards. The composition needs to be fixed. This is an ongoing problem with Russian players, especially with Tretjak and Kharlamov, where the players did not play in the NHL. For Yakushev, obviously the Sportscaster should be deleted (not left on as an option!) from the registry composition and replaced with his 1969 Williams Forlags card. The 1979 Panini Kharlamov must be deleted from the composition and replaced with either the 1969 Williams Forlags or the 1969 Planeta (also known (incompletely) as Russian Post Card). Inclusion of the 1979 Panini and 1999 UD Retro Tretjak cards are nonsense and should be replaced with either the 1970 Finnish Jaakiekko, Williams Forlags or Planeta ones.

I supposed I can concede on the logic of having NHL RC's of players who had prolific careers in both Europe as well as the NHL, such as Makarov, Fetisov, etc., but in those cases, the registry should absolutely include choice/option of either the overall Euro RC or the North American one. For those, I'm not talking about players who played minor/junior level Euro hockey before being drafted and spending their careers in the NHL. This should only apply to certain cases as mentioned above. For both Fetisov and Makarov, their first appearances on cards is the USSR team from the 1978 Panini Ski set and they also had several Sportscaster ones too, but their first solo cards rather than team shot are the 1979 Panini; these ones should be included as an either/or option along with their 1990 NHL cards. Larionov's 1983 Swedish Semic should be included as an option along with his 1990 NHL card.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's any consolation, the golf HOF rookies composite is just as screwy. I've been able to locate a few that have RCs decades prior to what's listed in the composite and quite a few others with earlier issued cards. I'm just not sure it's worth the battle to correct and have my own 'composite' + whatever is currently listed.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

In some case PSA sends out a survey.
    Sometimes they do as I get the results but don't get the survey.
    I do not know who chose these cards.

I also do not know what is available and European cards are really "foreign" to me.
    I don't know what is what with them. I don't think a postcard is a sports card.
    What I certainly don't want is a card is chosen, then I buy It and then removed from the registry

I know Andy (20barry20) has a considerable knowledge of European cards and players. I would have no problem if a select few chose the card based on knowledge.

Maybe we should start a future foreign HOF RC set and designate a card much earlier in the process and keep with it.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain, brother. This is exactly why I decided to focus more on the Hockey HOFers set where you can add any card of a player you want to. Below are some of the true rookies and pre-RCs in my set:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

The silver lining is that some of the true RCs can be had for a song because they aren't recognized as such by PSA.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

How were these Swedish cards actually purchased?
    In packs like NHL cards...…

I love the Tretjak

Obviously being stickers they are condition sensitive

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

I would assume so, Jay, but I really don't know.

Isn't Classic basically dropped from the price guides?
    I tried to find the cards above on VCP and nothing came up.

Ok here is a good one: what would the card be for Sergei Zubov?

Not many are graded of him

you have a 1991 OPC or several 1992 choices.

Now hat is what I know.....yo may know of earlier cards

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 7:08AM

@jay0791 said:
    How were these Swedish cards actually purchased?
    In packs like NHL cards...…

I love the Tretjak

Obviously being stickers they are condition sensitive

Yes, packs just like Panini. Sometimes you can find the unopened packs being offered for sale. I have a few late '60's to mid '70's tucked away somewhere in my Euro Unopened hockey collection though I haven't dug them out in a long time.

@shagrotn77 said:
    I feel your pain, brother. This is exactly why I decided to focus more on the Hockey HOFers set where you can add any card of a player you want to. Below are some of the true rookies and pre-RCs in my set:

Nice collection there; you really need to add a 1994 Classic Hayley Wickenheiser, as she as as much of a guaranteed sure-thing slam dunk 1st ballot HOF'er as there ever has been.

Like this pop 1 PSA 10, for instance? :)

I also have what will be her PSA-recognized '97 UDCC rookie. Pop 1 PSA 9 with no 10s: ;)

There was some talk of the HOF waiving the waiting period and inducting Hailey this year, so I tried to get ahead of the game. I have a PSA 9 '94 Hailey if you're interested.

To revisit this thread after yesterday's HHOF announcements, IMO the 1994 Classic Womens Hockey RC's should be included in the registry composition instead of 1997 Collector's Choice. I think it is time to add a new registry set that is comprised of HHOF first cards instead of "RC's", which in many cases will include cards issued between 3 and 11 years prior to what is in the HHOF RC registry at the moment.

How are most of you voting for the Zubov card if you're on that registry? If they have to go with a mainstream issue and not Euro items, I would have liked to see the 1991 OPC Red Army Insert be his registry RC instead of the choices they presented from 1992.

They likely won't be using the 1969 Williams Forlags Ishockey 69/70 card for Nedomansky; but are they more likely expected to go for his mid-career card from WHA, or, from NHL, as HHOF RC registry item?